Am I the only one who role plays this strict?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, this is a rant topic, if you don't like it, just move along, I'm not here to argue if this topics are okay to post here, I just want this off my chest (even though I have plenty of room on it... Ahem...) on a more public place than my friends list.

Now that that is out of the way!

So, I love role playing, and I used to be the same as everyone, just role playing along, not being bothered by anything... As I picked up experience and also tried other role playing supporting games outside of Second Life, things started to bother me a bit. In Second Life, there are communities that pay close attention to meta-gaming and power-gaming, trying to discourage players from using these methods, which is good! But it still seems most players do not care or perhaps are unaware of the meaning behind it. 

Also a thing that bothers me is that I notice some people consider themselves awesome role players when they slap down over eight lines of text, filling it with pretty much useless info. In my opinion, short emotes, that are concise is in my experience easier, the flow of the role play becomes faster. Another game I used to role play in, this method was used, and kept things going. In Second Life, although sometimes handy but most of the time not, I can cook a simple meal, come back and not having missed a thing. (True story!)

What I also find working very well is when what is said is kept separate from emotes. Example:

Philip Linden cheers: "Second Life is awesome!"

or

Philip Linden cheers!

Philip Linden: Second Life is awesome!

Easy to read both those here, but in reality, many participants might be present and pull lengthier lines, so separating them might work better. This would however work even better if it was possible to give Emotes a separate colour too. So Emotes can be told apart from what is said. Sadly that's up to the Lindens or maybe the third-party Viewers.

Now, last thing that bothers me so greatly that I barely role play since so frightingly many make the mistake, is people's awareness of anatomy in role playing. As in, you can't scratch someone's ear when you're massaging their feet! Not before moving over or the person sitting up... It's small, but it keeps happening.

Well, those were my two cents, I wonder if this is something others agree on and perhaps like to share their frustrations they run into when role playing, it would be interesting to read.

Hi Minareth:)

Firstly, I am not currently a role player but have been known to indulge.

I agree with your comments on meta- or powergaming because to me role play is not about winning but the process of winning (or losing) - meta- or powergaming just cuts the fun short for me.

Some people like para role play with chunks of text and excruciating exquisite detail - I am not one of these and enjoy quick repartee, and using animations, gestures, objects to "set the scene". After all, SL is a multi-media experience.

I giggled at your allusion to having cooked a whole meal while waiting for the role play to move on! Oh I know!... said in my best Prunella Scales'  voice!

As for your last point,... maybe their feet were up around their ears...? LOL

With anything, it's horses for courses. I wish you luck in finding a role play community that suits you - and if you do, let me know. You sound like my kind of role player :).

Emma:)

Emma Krokus wrote:

Hi Minareth:)

Firstly, I am not currently a role player but have been known to indulge.

I agree with your comments on meta- or powergaming because to me role play is not about winning but the process of winning (or losing) - meta- or powergaming just cuts the fun short for me.

Some people like para role play with chunks of text and
excruciating
exquisite detail - I am not one of these and enjoy quick repartee, and using animations, gestures, objects to "set the scene". After all, SL is a multi-media experience.

I giggled at your allusion to having cooked a whole meal while waiting for the role play to move on! Oh I know!... said in my best Prunella Scales'  voice!

As for your last point,.
.. maybe their feet were up around their ears...? LOL

With anything, it's horses for courses. I wish you luck in finding a role play community that suits you - and if you do, let me know. You sound like my kind of role player
:)

Emma:)

Sounds kinky, lol and I agree with the both of you. To me (even being new) these dont seem far fetched.

I will never understand while people feel the need to write their character's entire life story in their posts. Or everything their character feels by telling me, not showing me.

Meanwhile I'm sitting here working my way through a stupid 500+ word post trying to pick out the details my character can actually USE (oh yay, the other guy smirked! he coughed, I can use that! yes good dialogue!!) but normally I'm stuck with a one liner like

'So-and-So laughs and nods his head, "Yeah, you can go ahead and take that box there."'

but before that I was learning So-and-So's history about his abusive mother and his plans to own several banks in the area and how he didn't like my character's tie but none of these things I can use BECAUSE MY CHARACTER IS NOT A MIND READER WOW

Sorry I guess I needed to rant as well xD

Minareth Irata wrote:

This would however work even better if it was possible to give Emotes a separate colour too. So Emotes can be told apart from what is said. Sadly that's up to the Lindens or maybe the third-party Viewers.

Now, last thing that bothers me so greatly that I barely role play since so frightingly many make the mistake, is people's awareness of anatomy in role playing. As in, you can't scratch someone's ear when you're massaging their feet! Not before moving over or the person sitting up... It's small, but it keeps happening.

Most TPVs have the ability to italicise the emotes, they also have the : method of emoting rather than /me

The issue of anatomy though is one that has always made me blink. Some of the contortions people can perform in, say for example, the middle of a love making session are sure to bring tears to one's eyes... either in pain or just laughing at the impossibility.

The one that irks me most though is meta-gaming, where someone will make you do something.

Sean Heying: Ah, Mr Linden, how nice to meet you finally. I wanted to talk to you about teir prices.

they respond:

Philip Linden: /me watches as you reach into your pocket and pull out a gun. Luckily I had a trap prepared, a bucket of water next to my foot that I kick over and cause you to slip, as if on a banana peel. You stuggle to regain your footing but discharge your pistol into that moose head that just appeared above the fireplace.

You're making Philip look like a Power-Gamer now, he he. :smileylol:

And, not to be pointing fingers. But that was actually an example of Power-Gaming. :smileyembarrassed:

Meta-Gaming is what seems to happen the most in Second Life Role Playing communities. People emoting how they do not like something or do, not realizing they're jotting down loads of useless info... I always think to myself: "Hello, some of us DO like to guess you know?"

That makes it extra fun! Le example!

John Resident comes walking in, his shirt covered in crumbs from the Donut he ate earlier.

Now we could ask how he got those, but... We already know... At least the real us does. What happens here in my opinion is that we do not get involved with our character...

John Resident comes walking in, his shirt covered in crumbs, there's also some glacing on some of the crumbs...

Wow, John has crumbs on his shirt, but why? Wait, let's just ask him in character! See what happens? We get involved! We actually wonder why he has those crumbs on his shirt, not just imagine we do, this makes Role Playing so much more powerful! Of course, this is just a silly small example, but I bet you get my point. :smileyhappy:

Steve Decker: Walks up to newspaper dispenser and pulls out his few linden he has left and notice a café across the street thinking to himself “ Bloody Hell if I buy a news paper I can’t afford a coffee”, decides to forget about the print for now and scurries across the heavily traffic street that leads to the highway 40 and almost just got ran over by a truck knowing if he was only two apples closer he would have been gone goose. Finally all tired and sweaty reaches the entrance and before he reaches the door he sees a reflection of himself looking like a nerf herder and takes a moment to groom himself by the use of the reflective glass. Looking all sharp now he decides to enter the fine looking establishment.

Well I much prefer to just use my 3d avatar and do all the stuff and walk in  and say “ OI” and wait to see if anybody has created a scene, instead of myself making a scene lol.

You’re on a good track there are a lot of rp players that use light rp and not para rp  and as many have said we hate waiting 5 min for a simple point to be made. But if you’re in the larger rp sims look around as any people have different styles and a good community will welcome all and you will know who to engage or not if you don’t like.

Minareth Irata wrote:

You're making Philip look like a Power-Gamer now, he he. :smileylol:

And, not to be pointing fingers. But that was actually an example of Power-Gaming. :smileyembarrassed:

I have never been one to use recognised terms correctly, bad memory and yeah. But thank you for the correction and I am glad you realised what I meant.

Powergaming, yes, it is probably my pet peeve.

*deftly dodges the magically materialising, and now doubly dead moose head*

Nope, I don't think you strict at all.  Metagaming and power gaming are going to exist where ever you go.  Sometimes, you just have to point it out politely to folks because often, many have no clue they are doing it.  Once it is explained, life is happy.  If not, start making a list of who not to RP with in the future.  Use the note portion of a person's profile for future reference notes.

As far as the para RPers, I personally  don't like to RP with them since I do not want to get involved in their parapower gamer personal minautia. I have yet to RP with a para, who was actually interested in the story and characters of those they are RPing with.  Also waiting 20 minutes for a single post  to a scene that should have logically taken 5 minutes, OMG to me that has to be some form of gaming narcissism.  We are in SL....we have a very rich themed environment in most RP area so we do not need the old paragraph style of" paint me a picture" RP like IRC, chatrooms, or boards. As a friend of mine's profile says about para rpers...more is not better.

I have role played a lot - I do not like people to godmod me, to powergame, or to use OOC information IC. I know it happens - but there are places where those things are really  frowned upon - so finding such a place helps in cutting down on the problem a lot.

The length of emotes hasnothing to do with "playing strict" or doing role play right. It is not a matter of right and wrong - it is simply a matter of preference. I like a decent length of emote when I role play - and I also write more then two or three sentences.It does not take me 20 minutes - that is way  too long. I am a fast typist and it takes me between 3 and 5 minutes to post.

But as I said - that is strictly a matter of preference.

The powergaming thing should be a given, but I think the lengthy emoting comes from trying to bridge the gap from text based roleplay to SL roleplay.  I love text based roleplay, and that becomes just as much about the writing for my little group as it is the roleplaying.  Adjusting to a virtual world was different because it's hard to learn what sorts of things you can cut out.  What text can be replaced by action, what can't, etc.  Coming from a word where lengthier was preferable (but by no means excruiciating, I played with a good group of writers.  Posts weren't full of nonsense, they were just rich, but they were long and trying to learn to cut down your storytelling into a few quips is a completely different skill.  

Then again I've also had the other end of the spectrum where people just didn't do enough.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2762 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.