Skin or Shape? Help!

CindyWho183

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

you cheecks are just puffy enough and your scowling just enough in the sahpe to cause that I think.   However don't bother changin your shape because at best you can only minimize the effect as it's a problem with the defualt avie mesh as well...

windlight settings may maskt his but other who don't use them will still see it. Eindlight settings can be found in world>environment editor>environemtn settigns

Depending on the viewer you use, you probably have some standard windlights that will make your avatar appear more attractive.  Try Nam's Optimal Skin 2 or [AnaLu] Studio6 for starters.

There is no reason you should wear a facelight. Windlight settings will do the trick.

These are the results I get without using the environmental editor. I use the general midday sun because it is possibly the most common setting. Windlight settings are only for your view and not what others see.

There are some light system shadows remaining I can cover with my face light but for this test I turned off local lights to show that normal settings work fine to alleviate the problem. If it weren't for the close up, most wouldn't notice the small shadows.

test2.png

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

These are the results I get without using the environmental editor.
I use the general midday sun because it is possibly the most common setting.
Windlight settings are only for your view and not what others see.

There are some light system shadows remaining I can cover with my face light but for this test I turned off local lights to show that normal settings work fine to alleviate the problem. If it weren't for the close up, most wouldn't notice the small shadows.

I never use midday sun.  There are too many better alternatives.  Besides, it is another 'setting' that only the user will see.  Facelights are not necessary unless you are snapping photos and want an effect.

CindyWho183 wrote:

So, you're saying the only person seeing the wrinkles would be me?

No, that can't be right because I was with a friend looking at skin demos with her and you could see the wrinkles right underneath her cheeks like mine shown above....

It has already been said here that what we see (wrinkles or no wrinkles) on ourselves or on others, and what others see on themselves and on us, depends on the lighting condition.

The wrinkles are in the avatar shape. It's impossible to get rid of them totally.  However, in some lighting conditions we cannot see the wrinkles at all, and then in some other lighting conditions we can see them very clearly.

Okay, it''s getting to be summer, go out in RL and try this: On a sunny day, have someone take a closeup picture of your face without using a flash when you're standing in the sun and take a look at it. Chances are you'll see shadows and wrinkles on your RL face that will make those look like nothing.

Basically, you're seeing the same thing in SL - the default lighing is high and contrasty and that means it casts shadows. SInce the avatar face mesh has issues some of them look harsh and fake.

Unlike RL you have complete control of the lighing you see - you can change the lighting to be softer and less directional which will make those wrinkles disappear in the same way a flash in a "soft box" does in a RL portrait studio. This is what you do with Windlight settings.

HOWEVER - you have no control over the lighting anyone else uses. That's what Venus was referring to. Some might see wrinkles and some might not.

The best thing you can do is relax and not worry about the tiny imperfections of your face because most people won't notice them and of those that DO the people worth paying attention to wont' care about them. Works in RL too.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

These are the results I get without using the environmental editor. I use the general midday sun because it is possibly the most common setting. Windlight settings are only for your view and not what others see.

test2.png

Id on't think setting your computer to ultra is an answer as most can't do this. Even I can't and I have like a low end gaming system.:/ Also face lights piss off anyone who has local lights on which make it not an answer as well. Best answer is to tweak the shape to reduce the wrinkles and learn to accept the flaw in SL's defualt avie mesh.

CindyWho183 wrote:

So, you're saying the only person seeing the wrinkles would be me?

No, that can't be right because I was with a friend looking at skin demos with her and you could see the wrinkles right underneath her cheeks like mine shown above....

If you and she are seeing the same thing, you both must be using the same/similar lighting.  Change your WL and you will see something different or better.  She will see what she sees unless she changes hers. 

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

The best thing you can do is relax and not worry about the tiny imperfections of your face because most people won't notice them and of those that DO the people worth paying attention to wont' care about them. Works in RL too.

Very true. SL is varying lighting environment, just like RL is. SL is not a photo studio where we always should look perfect without any shadows or wrinkles on our faces.

I made two sample shots with default Windlight settings. On the left picture the sun is shining from the side - we can clearly see the wrinkles and shadows. On the right picture the sun is shining from the back - no wrinkles can be seen.

This is perfectly all right in my opinion. No need for any facelights - they are an annoyance and they make the avatars face look static, always the same regardless of the environment lighting.

So, if the OP is annoyed by the wrinkles, they can always turn their back towards the sun. Voila, no wrinkles!  :matte-motes-big-grin: :smileytongue:

Light-on-avatar.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3959 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.