I'm having problems with my shape.. please help

Siksikas

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Snapshot_016.jpg

Do you see that weird gap in between my butt cheeks? Yah, I have no idea how that happened. I have literaly tried every single option available on the shape editor, and absolutely nothing works.  It's been like that for months and months and I can't figure out how to make it go away.  Is it a glitch? Do I have to completely make a new shape? Please help.

Snapshot_017.jpg

Vanessa Hallison wrote:

Snapshot_016.jpg

Do you see that weird gap in between my butt cheeks? Yah, I have no idea how that happened. I have literaly tried every single option available on the shape editor, and absolutely nothing works.  It's been like that for months and months and I can't figure out how to make it go away.  Is it a glitch? Do I have to completely make a new shape? Please help.

Snapshot_017.jpg

It could be the angle that you are standing. In the picture it looks like your leg muscle is set at a lower setting in ratio with your hips? It's hard to tell. I would copy down the numbers of your hip, butt and leg sliders that you have now, and then play around with those while editing your shape and see if that helps. Your hips don't look real wide, they look fine, so it may be your leg muscle slider. I am not in world to see if there is another slider that affects this. I will try when I am in world and post back to you unless someone else posts with a more informative answer.

I've tried messing with every setting possibly, including how thick my legs are. I can't seem to make my legs thicker without making the rest of my body thicker as well..

Also, it's definitely not the angle that the picture was taken at. It's like that no matter what angle you look at it from.

Vanessa Hallison wrote:

I've tried messing with every setting possibly, including how thick my legs are. I can't seem to make my legs thicker without making the rest of my body thicker as well..

Also, it's definitely not the angle that the picture was taken at. It's like that no matter what angle you look at it from.

You are right, I doubt it's the angle of the picture, at first the 2 seemed to make me feel that way. I am not sure why your leg muscle slider is affecting your whole body. Are you wearing pants while you are in edit shape, as this will show you which part of the body in a picture that the slider is affecting.

Honestly I have no idea what the slider or anything is.. Also whether or not I'm wearing clothes when I edit depends. It's different every time.  It's almost like my **bleep** / butt area is hollowed out... I'm wondering if this is just an SL thing, or a glitch with my avatar.

Here is a picture that may help you understand what I am referring to. I was wearing a pair of mesh jeans, so I removed the alpha so you could see how each body part slider is affected when you adjust the sliders. If you are wearing system clothing it will show you as well. the arrows are for the leg muscle and hip width sliders as I am not sure how big the pic will look when it's posted. Having pants on while you do this will show where the shape is being affected by the numbers by sinking into or popping out of the clothing. It's just to show you how the leg muscles or hip width may be giving you the problem. Hope this helps.

shape-sliders - Copy.png

After playing a bit with Vanessas shape (thanks again for the trust :)), I know think I now how this space got so big. For the following readers:

Its caused by multiple sliders at once. The gap itself exists on every avatarshape but can get noticeable under certain conditions. In this case general body sliders worked together with the first few sliders of the leg-tab. Vanessas shape is quite high, so its more difficult to get a natural look, because as we all may have noticed the standart shape has its problems and they get obvious as soon as one brings the sliders close to a very high or a very small size of the avatar.

I'm having some issues with my shapes too, if I make temporary changes to them they tend to become permanent despite not saving the new alterations, previously when I logged off the shape would automatically revert to its original measurements so when I got back on it was back to the original look that I had saved, but this is not happening any longer and the shape remains in the altered look, one example is that a slender model-eque shape that I played with and made shourt, fat and busty has remained in this state, yes i have copy of the original but still.

The problem could only be fixed by completely changing my body shape, and the way that it had to be changed, I didn't like at all... So I have gone back to my regular body shape. I also spoke to a professional who told me that this is a basic SL thing that all avies have (Some more noticable than others), and that it will never be officially fixed until SL works on the avie shapes.

bebejee wrote:

I'm having some issues with my shapes too, if I make temporary changes to them they tend to become permanent despite not saving the new alterations, previously when I logged off the shape would automatically revert to its original measurements so when I got back on it was back to the original look that I had saved, but this is not happening any longer and the shape remains in the altered look, one example is that a slender model-eque shape that I played with and made shourt, fat and busty has remained in this state, yes i have copy of the original but still.

Even if you don't do "save as" at bottom of window or "save" with the arrow shape button at the top, the changes will save over previous. I always make a copy of my original shape (now that mesh is here) and save the shape as the name of the outfit so I don't have to adjust anything when I wear a certain outfit and my original shape stays the same when I wear prim/system clothing.

My avi is tall so I had a gap not the same as Vanessa's or as high up but the lengthening of my torso to leg length ratio helped with that.

Just so everyone is aware... The ideal proportion is 1.2 to 1.4 i.e..., on a female " if you are under 72 inches or 6.0 feet"  the legs are 1.4 times the size of the torso. - Anything taller than that and the rules go out the window.

I modeled mine using those proportions and the effect is pretty dramatic.  I get compliments all the time about how realistic my shape appears.  The most common.... " you look like movie star"

Oh, and the little gap you have there... it will practically vanish if you remember the hip to breast/shoulder ratio.

Viva le shorter avi's!

Vanessa Hallison wrote:

I also spoke to a professional who told me that this is a basic SL thing that all avies have (Some more noticable than others), and that it will never be officially fixed until SL works on the avie shapes.

Yes, the fault is in the SL default avatar shape. For some strange reason when it was created (way back in time) enough attention was not paid to the crotch area (among some other areas). The avatar crotch has not even the slightest resemblance to how real human crotch looks like! It has its own horrible weird design.

Here is the shape imported to Blender. We can clearly see here the fault in the crotch design. It's impossible to hide that fault totally. As it has been nitced here, in some slider settings the fault is very glaring, in some settings the fault is not so obvous (even though it still can be seen what ever the slider settings are).

Avatar-Crotch_Front.jpg     Avatar-Crotch_Back.jpg

Only way to hide this fault is to wear well designed mesh pants.  In most mesh pants what I have tried, the crotch has been designed so that it has more realistic human crotch shape in them.

Shungiku wrote:

Just so everyone is aware... The ideal proportion is 1.2 to 1.4 i.e..., on a female "
if
you are under 72 inches or 6.0 feet"  the legs are 1.4 times the size of the torso. - Anything taller than that and the rules go out the window.

I modeled mine using those proportions and the effect is pretty dramatic.  I get compliments all the time about how realistic my shape appears.  The most common.... " you look like movie star"

Oh, and the little gap you have there... it will practically vanish if you remember the hip to breast/shoulder ratio.

Viva le shorter avi's!

That's a great solution if you are RP'ing a model here, etc. I have a rl friend who is 6'3" not everyone is short.  Some people look as their avi as an extension of themselves and that's what I do, when I am in sl I am me, My avi is based on the proportions of my rl self. Some people have a short waist with longer legs, some have a long waist with shorter legs. All people are not built the same, so I guess it would depend on what you do in sl and how you choose to look. Do you want to be someone totally different than yourself or do you use sl as a social virtual world and you try and be the same as in rl.  I do see many that make their avi taller and they don't adjust the length of the arms. There are people that like to accentuate certain areas of their body and never change any of the other sliders as well. Personal taste is what it is.

I don't have as much of a problem with the butt gap issue on my av, and I think it may be because I increase the leg muscles a bit which brings the whole thing back together closing the gap.  Looking at your photo shot, it appears to me that possibly your leg size is too thin, thus magnifying this butt gap problem.  I've seen a lot of female avies in sl with legs that are way too skinny, giving them the appearance of a praying-mantis.  My av's leg muscle setting is just a notch or two above 50 on the slider.  More muscle gives the legs definition and shape. Also, you may want to stay away from expanding the hip size which will pull the legs further apart if you overdo it and give you a bow-legged look.  You can makes hips larger with the saddle-bag slider without displacing the legs too wide apart at the crotch.

I happened on a blog post from a sl resident who explains in easy to understand terms how the ideal avatar's purportions can be figured out.  Basically the head size of an av over 6' if left alone is too small.  I usually set the head size between 50 and 55 on the slider.  Once you get that correct, then you need to measure your torso from shoulder to waist to be the length of two heads stacked one on top of the other.  If you make it longer than that, you will look short legged and if you make it shorter, you'll look like a stork.  As for the legs, I measure leg size on mine by figuring the length of the thigh from crotch to mid-knee should be measured against the length of the torso from shoulders to waist.  It should be about equal.

Anyway, here is the link to the article which gives illustrations you can follow:  http://catnapkitty.wordpress.com/2011/06/15/getting-good-body-proportions-in-second-life/

Don't click the link mentioning her whole category on the subject as it will take you to purportions for furries.  The first page is the page with human purportions and pictures.

Hope this helps.

• 1 year later...

I`m having the same problems, I did read your post but am finding it hard to understand, I`m 5`11 in rl and my legs are 85 cm`s long, so not sure how to make that terrible crack go away, I just dont understand those number`s is there any way to break them down into plain english?, please help, thanks Tam

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3317 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.