Cannot Unblock Friend - 2nd Attempt

KateHershey

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Can somebody tell me how to unblock a friend that will not unblock?  Over the weekend I posted that I could not unblock a friend. I followed the advice given to me. (Thank you!) 

To make a long story short, this is a known bug but the technical people referred me back here saying that could not do one on one help.  The first person in tech support told me to IM a certain person with the name of my friend.  The next day, I got a message from Tech Support saying they would not help me.

Tech Support posted a Link to the same place I started.

Can anybody please help me?  I feel terrible that this friend is blocked.

Thank you

9 answers to this question

I see no record that you have ever asked a question in the forums, so I have no idea what you have already tried.  To unblock anyone, though, you should open the People window, then click the gear icon at the bottom left and select Show Blocked Residents & Objects.  Highlight the person you want to unblock and then click the UNBLOCK button.

I understand that you've tried unblocking them, IM'ing them, and sending them $1L and they become temporarily unblocked, but show up as blocked again the next time you log in.

As I recall, you also tried reinstalling the viewer.  I would suggest that the next thing you try is BOTH of you do a clean install of your viewers.  To do a clean install, follow all the instructions on this page:

http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/fs_clean_reinstall

If that does not work, then I'm out of ideas.  You might try tech support again.  As you found, the level of tech support you get from LL is very basic if you have a Basic free membership.  It may be worth it to you to buy a one month Premium membership to get the higher level of tech support it offers.

• Like 1

I'm sorry. I posted under a different name...the log in ID was saved. I put 2nd attempt because the Technical Staff referred me back to here.  Also, I tried what you suggested...but it is not STAYIING unblocked. When I log out and back in she is blocked again. This is a known bug...she has something in her name...a strange Unicode from her 3rd party viewer. The bug is at: https://jira.secondlife.com/browse/SVC-7550? is the bug. I have a support case but they said they could not do one on one help. But the first technician said to IM a specific person because it had to be manually fixed. And then another technician said they could not do one on one help. I have no idea how to reply to her. Any suggestions you have would be appreciated. I can give you the link to my support case if you need it. Thank you.

I have the same problem with a friend.  I wasn't sure how to see whether someone was blocked or not using the Metabolt viewer, so I asked my friend to help.  I blocked her, unblocked her, ok got it!  But then when I logged on again, she was blocked.   

I tried unblocking from the profile, sending an IM, sending a Linden, and all methods work until i log off and log back in.  

I tried all of the above using Second Life viewer, Firestorm Viewer.  I have used different computers, LINUX and still the automatic blocking can not be eliminated. 

Ih short, it is either a problem at Linden (sounds like they may not care) or else it might be something somehow that the blocked person has inadvertantly done.  I've given up trying to fix it though, and I just manually unblock my friend each time I log on.   :(   

Lindal's advice, at the top of this thread, is probably still the best. If the standard solutions do not work for you, then either your own viewer is borked or your friend's is. Unless you decide that this is important enough to pay for a one-month Premium membership, which will get you full access to all tech support categories, I think your only hope is for both of you do do a clean reinstall of your viewer. Don't just reinstall over what's there now. Be sure that all hidden files are deleted and then reinstall. See https://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/How-to-uninstall-and-reinstall-Second-Life/ta-p/1375231 . I can't guarantee that this will work, but it's about all you have left to try.

Update:  After two years, my friend is still permanently blocked.  I can temporarily unblock her in a million different ways, but she is blocked again when I log off and log back on.  I've used many different computers, many different browsers and nothing works.   I can block and unblock everyone else with no problem, just this one person who I originally blocked with Metabolt as a test, and found it to be irreversible.   I believe this is an unfixable bug, possibly having to do with that now-defuncct browser.  So, everytime I log on I have to temporarily  unblock this one person, and that's the only solution.  .  

Double Update:  Still blocked.  I used different computers, different operating system (LINUX + Windows), different everything and that is not the problem.  I also defriended my friend to see if that makes a difference, and it does not.   

Edited by TaiVelikova

On 21/12/2016 at 11:21 PM, TaiVelikova said:

Update:  After two years, my friend is still permanently blocked.  I can temporarily unblock her in a million different ways, but she is blocked again when I log off and log back on.  I've used many different computers, many different browsers and nothing works.   I can block and unblock everyone else with no problem, just this one person who I originally blocked with Metabolt as a test, and found it to be irreversible.   I believe this is an unfixable bug, possibly having to do with that now-defuncct browser.  So, everytime I log on I have to temporarily  unblock this one person, and that's the only solution.  .  

I think LL support can remove stuck users from the block list now.

File a support ticket at https://support.secondlife.com/create-case/

If support can't fix it, file a JIRA issue at https://jira.secondlife.com/secure/CreateIssue!default.jspa and give the name of your blocked friend and an engineer will fix it.

Edited by Whirly Fizzle
typo
  • Like 2

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2593 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.