NVidia OpenGL error

cardude44

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So I'm new to SL, and every time I try to launch the viewer, it crashes within seconds with mention of an OpenGL error. I've done some research, and it seems that this is not related to my hardware but rather an issue with the viewer. I've updated my NVidia drivers from 314 to 320.18 and the problem persists.

My specs:

ASUS G51JX-A1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

NVidia GeForce GTS 360M

6 GB RAM

Intel i7 Q 720 quad core

500 GB HDD

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this issue?

cardude44 wrote:

So I'm new to SL, and every time I try to launch the viewer, it crashes within seconds with mention of an OpenGL error. I've done some research, and it seems that this is not related to my hardware but rather an issue with the viewer. I've updated my NVidia drivers from 314 to 320.18 and the problem persists.

My specs:

ASUS G51JX-A1

Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

NVidia GeForce GTS 360M

6 GB RAM

Intel i7 Q 720 quad core

500 GB HDD

Any ideas on what I can do to resolve this issue?

Are you sure your nVidia Card is running? Your Machine has got a second, on-board graphics card too, you might have to deactivate that on board  graphics and activate the nVidia  graphics in your Bios Settings. Look up your user's manual for information on this.

J.

Look in your nVidia control panel and set up a game setting for SL. Be sure to set the game for performance.

Laptops are set by default to use Power Savings. You have to change that. By using the nVidia Control Panel you can have the power savings most of the time and performance when running SL.

Part of power savings is to turn OFF the nVidia graphics chip and use the motherbords low power consumption built in business graphics.

When you ask a tech question include information about your computer and viewer. Get the info from the viewer's Help-About... and paste that into your post with your question. Help->About... provides all the version numbers we need.  To add your info to an existing question use OPTIONS->EDIT. It’s in the upper right of your post.

• 2 months later...

I'm also now expecting this issue and my Alienware Gaming Desktop is fairly new, I've laughed it off like I read other's did too , because my computer is new..The issue is starting to happen more frequent and this form is the only information I've seen. Does anyone have any solution for this issue? I really can't phantom my brand new computer can not handle sl so it has to be something witth Secondlife? Now I do use Firestorm so I wonder does that have anything to do? I'm just looking for some answer's because my diver and everything is up-to-date. Here are my specs as well.

Also I'm working with Nvidia GeForce GTX 645cdb5f4ca16dfcfe729027687109b5ab4.png

• 3 months later...

I have the same issue. I also updated the Windows 8.1 today when I tried to relog afterwards I couldn't. Online

support told me I was out of luck and to wait for the next update.Looking on the LL website I also saw that all

requirements were for Windows XP, or 7. So I think Windows is the issue. If I find out something I will post it back to you.

I know this doesn't help ....

• 2 months later...

Hello, since few week i cannt loggin Second Life.....a message appear..".. Opengl error.." and after the Second Life viewer disconnet...The both software (SL and NVIDIA) had update since few days and after that, i cannt loggin...I make so trials to change updates but it s the same result.....I dont know what can i do ....HELP ME please...in french if it s possible ;)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3713 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.