SOLVED - SLV crashes after I log in - all forum solutions

Mia Lowtide

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello all!

As in the topic I have a huge problem. My SL Viewer crashes every time a few seconds after I log in. I read through the forum but none of the solutions helped me. 

I haven't played SL for a half of year. Previously i played on the same computer with the same internet connection. I needed a breake so I uninstalled the SLV. Lately I wanted to play again so I downloaded and installed the latest version of the SLV from the site. But as I wrote - it crashes every time.

Beneath I post my PC info and the solutions that I already tried. Maybe I missed something? 
PLEASE HELP!!

*sorry for my spelling mistakes - english is my second language :)

PC info

Windows 7 Home Professional

Notebook HP Pavilion dv6-6150ew QA944EA
Processor Intel Core i5-2410M [MHz] 2300
RAM 7,9 GB
Hard drive 500 GB
1366 x 768 
AMD Radeon HD 6770M 2GB

Free memory 68 GB

Internet connection 1 MB

Information from the SLV ABOUT SECOND LIFE

Second Life 3.5.3 (276452) May 24 2013 02:06:23 (Second Life Release)

Release Notes

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz (2294.88 MHz)

Memory: 8140 MB
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Build 7601)
Graphics Card Vendor: ATI Technologies Inc.
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 6700M Series

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 8.15.0010.2291

OpenGL Version: 4.2.12337 Compatibility Profile Context 13.101.0.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1

J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0
Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12
Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded)
Voice Server Version: Not Connected
Built with MSVC version 1600

Tried solutions that I found on this forum

1) Downloaded the latest version of SLV. Two reinstallations.

2) I reset my router.

3) Checked for the latest drivers update for my graphic card (from the producers site - the right one for sure)and for Windows 7 updates. I have the newest versions of both.

4) Cleared the catche in the SLV (before lauching the game) and manually through the windows folder (C:\Users\User\AppData\Local\SecondLife\ - after I made all the 'hidden' folders visible).

5) Set the graphic in game at minimum.

6) Made a memory disc check (twice) - no problems detected.

7) Set the Net speed (in the SLV) on minimum and at maximum (two different tries - still nothing).

8) I had a few seconds in the game so I pressed ctrl+alt+Q and disabled the HTTP textures. It still crashed.

9) As my first locations I loaded 'save' lands such as Smith or Poolney.

10) As I wrote I had a few seconds so I deleted all the notifications in the right upper corner (I had 77 ifI remember correctly).

11) I created a new account. It crashed the same way.

I really don't know what to do - it worked a few months ago... I really count on you guys...

Yours,

Mia.

UPDATE from the advices below

KarenMichelle Lane

12) I installed the lates BIOS update. Then I reinstalled SLV again. It still crashes.

13) I'm using Microsoft Security Essentials as my antivirus so this is not the issue.

Pyewackett Jinn

14) I think I have to agree with you. It's something with the latest versions- they should look into it and fix it. Now I'm trying to install older versions. They also crashed. Till now I tried following versions (all crashed): 3.5, 3.4, 3.3, 3.2.

Keep you posted.

SOLUTION FOUND UNDER THIS LINK (ON THIS FORUM). Thank you for your help.

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/Second-Life-Viewer/AMD-Radeon-HD-6770M-2GB-problem-in-Second-Life-Viewer/td-p/1175551

Have someone else other ideas?

• Like 1

2 answers to this question

Mia,

This particular version of this laptop is sold in the EU. Two possibilities come to mind.

1) Get online with HP and see if you have a BIOS update that your need.

2) Try uninstalling your antivirus software and using something simple like Microsoft Security Essentials which works great with SL.

Please update your question [ X ] with your status [ X ] with additional information as follows: Select the Options drop-down menu to the right of your question and select Edit Question.

I'm sorry I don't have the answer, butI wanted to let you know that I'm having the same problem.  Ever since I installed the newest viewer this has been happening.  There's got to be something wrong with SL.  I don't think we both have computer issues, it's too much of a coincidence.  I have been playing just fine without the 'break' that you took, but as I said, the new viewer has me crashing constantly.  I hope SL addresses this and admits that there is something wrong with their program.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.