Objectifying men

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Awe Thor wrote:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Words may not hurt but your own self-pitying interpretation of the meaning behind them can.

FIFY!

Awe . . .writes
words
crap that 'makes'
some
readers cry and
others
laugh
cringe. Paradoxical? No!

FIFY!

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Does the sexualized culture of SL objectify men?  Does it encourage men to objectify themselves?

I not completely sure, but judging by your forum posts, I can come to the conclusions that men of your "type" seem to objectify themselves a lot.

Locke Nider wrote:

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

Does the sexualized culture of SL objectify men?  Does it encourage men to objectify themselves?

I not completely sure, but judging by your forum posts, I can come to the conclusions that men of your "type" seem to objectify themselves a lot.

Risky business drawing conclusions here in SL about "types". Not only the gender of another avie operator cannot be definitively established but neither can sexual orientation. I myself have operated what appeared to be gay male avatar and I'm a straight female in RL. You're more than welcome to not believe me - actually, to be coherent, I should probably encourage you not to believe me. But you see how easy it could be to get led waaaay off track by SL appearances?

Having said that, prejudice and intolerance are often easy to detect.

Dresden Ceriano wrote:

nice sense of humor Dres ! i think that now we miss another thread asking : 

"Does the sexualized culture of SL objectify humans?  Does it encourage humans to objectify themselves?"

after this i think we will be done... or maybe we can have fun asking the same question about cats, dogs etc.. but it risks to be less funny :smileywink:

Ah ! i forgot.. we can do one about martians... or chipmunks... :smileyvery-happy:

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

Words may not hurt but the meaning behind them can. No one is a wall all the time.

You should probably read the other thread, my response will make more sense and I'll piss off a lot less people since I won't have to re-type it all over again.

Or not.

I would have to say no.  I can only speak to what I have seen in-world and on the forum/feeds.  There exists a very large lesbian (or lesbian wannabe) community, and judging from words and snapshots they post pics in sexual positions with other female avatars while wearing male prosthetics.  I think it is the 'tool' that is (objectified) worshiped, adored, and envied more than the 'male' himself. 

Venus Petrov wrote:

Of course avatars are objects.  I do not know how this thread or the other one has gone off the deep end with all the chatter about feelings.

Gee, that one's a mystery... It's not like the original thread was a straw-avatar argument meant for the amusement of a former forum "rockstar" and his fans in the manner of those summer concerts by bands that were cutting edge forty years ago, was it?

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Of course avatars are objects.  I do not know how this thread or the other one has gone off the deep end with all the chatter about feelings.

Gee, that one's a mystery... It's not like the original thread was a straw-avatar argument meant for the amusement of a former forum "rockstar" and his fans in the manner of those summer concerts by bands that were cutting edge forty years ago, was it?

This is an entertainment medium, is it not!   Perhaps you better enjoy the more modern cutting edge 'rockstar' status of Kim Kardashian and her sisters... I do not.

If we're going to pretend that the reason for these threads was to actually discuss the issue I should point out that EVERYTHING IN SECOND LIFE IS AN OBJECT. It's a representation of something else, either a real-world thing or an idea of something that can be represented visually. And these objects were created by the deliberate actions of humans in the real world.

OBJECTIFICATION IS WHAT SECOND LIFE IS ALL ABOUT.

And what we see is a reflection of the humans involved in it. Is it the "environment" of Second Life that controls what we see?

THIS is the environment of Second LIfe:

Second Life 3.5.3 (276452) May 24 2013 02:06:23 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

You are at 257,175.0, 257,078.0, 22.1 in Vari located at sim10516.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.22:12035) Second Life RC Magnum 13.05.31.276770 Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2394 MHz) Memory: 6142 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002) Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Graphics Card: GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422 OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0 Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Not Connected Built with MSVC version 1600 Packets Lost: 112/4,804 (2.3%)

---------------------------------

Everything else is what we bring into it.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Touched a nerve?

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

If we're going to
pretend that the reason
for these threads was to actually discuss the issue I should point out that EVERYTHING IN SECOND LIFE IS AN OBJECT. It's a representation of something else, either a real-world thing or an idea of something that can be represented visually. And these objects were created by the deliberate actions of humans in the real world.

OBJECTIFICATION IS WHAT SECOND LIFE IS ALL ABOUT.

And what we see is a reflection of the humans involved in it. Is it the "environment" of Second Life that controls what we see?

THIS is the environment of Second LIfe:

Second Life 3.5.3 (276452) May 24 2013 02:06:23 (Second Life Release) Release Notes

You are at 257,175.0, 257,078.0, 22.1 in Vari located at sim10516.agni.lindenlab.com (216.82.52.22:12035) Second Life RC Magnum 13.05.31.276770 Error fetching server release notes URL.

CPU: Intel® Core2 Quad CPU    Q6600  @ 2.40GHz (2394 MHz) Memory: 6142 MB OS Version: Microsoft Windows Vista 64-bit Service Pack 2 (Build 6002) Graphics Card Vendor: NVIDIA Corporation Graphics Card: GeForce GT 640/PCIe/SSE2

Windows Graphics Driver Version: 9.18.0013.1422 OpenGL Version: 4.2.0

libcurl Version: libcurl/7.21.1 OpenSSL/0.9.8q zlib/1.2.5 c-ares/1.7.1 J2C Decoder Version: KDU v7.0 Audio Driver Version: FMOD Ex 4.44.12 Qt Webkit Version: 4.7.1 (version number hard-coded) Voice Server Version: Not Connected Built with MSVC version 1600 Packets Lost: 112/4,804 (2.3%)

---------------------------------

Everything else is what we bring into it.

You do not take the OP at face value?  You look for hidden agenda or meanings?  You know how fruitless a search that can be.  And, how wrong.  One might characterize that as 'drama'.

Venus Petrov wrote:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

Venus Petrov wrote:

Touched a nerve?

Apparently I have... And I've never said a word against drama - it's my business in RL, after all. But I can do other things too.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.