When exporting from blender to SL, how to reduce to make a 'tiny' prim for jewelry use

Tatayana Wylder

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

So, here is what I am doing.

I created a black and white 2d circle.

Converted it to a .svg file and imported it into blender 2.6

I extruded the object to make it 3d and converted it from curve to mesh.

I exported to collada with secondlife selected so it would apply the built in fix.

It imports into secondlife just fine.

How can I make it smaller? I would like to use the circle in a earring creation however it doesn't allow me to get it small enough to do so. When I try adding a large object to the mesh export in order to make the circle object smaller, it makes the X and Y distances smaller, but the Z stays the same and I am stuck with a tiny X,Y size but the Z is thick and distorts the whole image.

Any tips on exporting Tiny meshes for use with jewelry?

Thank you in advance for your help!

hi

The minumum size of a mesh along any of its axis is 0.01meter . To get around this you need to add extra geometry to make the overall bounding box size larger . This extra face/triangle needs to be given its own material which once rezzed you can set its texture to fully transparent .

0.01 cube blender.PNG

The visible part of the mesh can now be reduced in size.

bounding box.PNG

• Like 2

Ok great! That helps a lot!

Hopefully this will fix the issue that I am having! I'll need to learn a little bit more in order to do this correctly from the looks of it.

Thank you very much!

Are there any tips for exporting to .dae from blender that go beyond the 'check the second life box'. Any tricks or tips for optimizing?

Just a couple of thoughts as I made jewelry (prim and sculpt) for a long while.

It seems that the most logical plan would be to make the jewelry as one mesh, adding materials to the different parts as needed. That would keep the download and land impact lower and solve your "can't get it small enough" issue.

I may not understand what you are trying to do however. But something to think about. That is certainly how I would go about making mesh jewelry now that I know Blender :D.

:D

• Like 1

I often make sections of jewelry to upload, which I can still edit for shape in Sl but will still cut down the total prim count. Identical objects share the same faces so you can add quite a few together and mix with a up to 7 different item faces and you can add a plane to the upload to increase the object depth, which can be made transparent

I try not to use single prims where possible because unless you use a very high Lod for all distances it will disappear very quickly, being very small, and a larger Lod causes more issues for the wearer and viewer. Bigger sections of jewelry will still show up at a reasonable distance if you select High Lod for the first 3 generations and quite low for the lowest Lod.

Chrissy

Try to be economical with the geometry.

I don't think Importing a circle in the form of a .svg file is a good idea in this case because I don't see where you can control the number of vertices that make up the circumference . I have just tried creating a small and a larger circle in Inkspace, saved as .svg , imported and converted to mesh and both times I ended up with a circle using 96 vertices to make up the circumference.

That's alot when you think 20 to 24 is adequate for the  circumference used in making a 1 meter diameter car wheel for use in SL.

Your circle for the earring is less than 100th the diameter of a car wheel so best is create the circle in Blender where you get to choose the number of vertices  :)   I would suggest 6 to 12  for such a tiny object .

When modeling work with a 1 to 1 scale.  In the default setup of Blender 1 Blender unit = Meter in SL

Work with a complete Avatar mesh on a different layer then you can Shift select this layer from time to time to remind yourself just how small the item is that you are making and you will get some idea about the mesh density relative to size.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3973 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.