Copybotting

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

It depends. If the finder knows who lost it but doesn't give it back, s/he's a thief, imo, even though s/he didn't take the coin from the person. If there's no way to know who lost it, then s/he's lucky.

Edited by Phil Deakins

If a tree falls in a forest and there's no creature there to hear it, does it make a sound?

It depends on how you define the word 'sound'. If you define it as the movement of air (air waves), then yes it makes a sound. But if, like me, you define a sound as the interpretaion that the ears-brain make of that movement of air, then no, it doesn't make a sound because there are no ears and brains to interpret the air waves.

I submit that as the definitive answer to that age-old question :)

• Like 1

On 6/5/2013 at 9:59 AM, Sita Writer said:

1. How did you know your store or shape or designs were copybotted

I recognized the texture and on a build platform that looked highly suspicious of the one I made, was like "HMM THATS SUSPICIOUS", looked at the UUID via wireshark, downloaded it over the asset server, looked at who uploaded the asset in the jp2 header. OH LOOK ITS ME

2. What is your opinion of copybotting

Pretty much eh about it on my stuff, I'd prefer if people asked but for me it's not a big deal unless they go running around yelling "I MADE THIS".

However I respect other content creator's opinion on this, as not many people are like me and don't really care if people copy their stuff, as such, will take action if I see someone copybotting someone else's stuff.

3. What was your reaction to this offense

spooked them. :v "eyy were'd you get that texture yo" etc, ended up giving them a copy of the texture, told them copybotting is bad etcetc, if they see something I made and they want a copy just ask me

4. What would you like to say to copybotters?

winners don't do drugs

5. What was your recourse and the response of LL

Didn't report to LL

If you are a copybotter -- would just love to know why you do it

I do it on my own stuff that I made myself, mostly automated construction via a custom bot. :v

I know this is an old thread but its good that the subject comes up from time to time because it still is very much an issue.Copybotting is a selfish act act plain and simple. I am sure the people that do copybot feel they have a legitimate reason (I wasn't going to buy the product anyway so its not a loss for that creator or the all to common one—It's just a game. The list goes on and on.) or they just simply don't care.

Anytime I recognize a copybot store on the MP I will contact the original creator and let them know so they can take action if they should so choose. In most of those situations the theft is blatantly obvious. The fact is that most people are just simply uninformed as to what LL can or cannot do. That's why threads like this can be valuable. Maybe a newer thread should be started so it is more current.

• 1 month later...
2 minutes ago, Iroman said:

And copybotter still going strong at that site, and LL does nothing?

and what you expect LL to do about it? Very short said : Everything outside SL is out of their control.

If you find one using your stuff file a  DMCA, than LL will take action inworld.

• Like 1

A friend shared with me a big pack of free stuff he found somewhere, and when I unboxed it there was a notecard inside that was all about defending copybotting and declaring that anyone who expects compensation for their work is a 'jew.'  I'd find the notecard and ctrl+v it here but the contents would probably get me banned.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2512 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.