Full DJ Tutorial/Guide (inc all hardware&software used and Shoutcast/Icecast configuration)...

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3954 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

If enough people want something like that, i will create a guide how to connect anything and get this working on nearly any station (most of them use Icecast & Shoutcast for audio streaming, Flatcast is an option).

It will contain anything - from vinyl to software, what hardware is needed and how to get all this stuff working with different DJ tools like Traktor Pro, Virtual DJ, Mixxx (free DJ software), Mixmeister and with software that cant stream by itself.

If needed, i can do a videoguide and help people with their setup/hardware - even with skype/teamviewer if they got some problems that can be solved so easy.

This guide will be designed for real DJs, who have some hardware (at least Midi-controller or mixer) or who want to byu a nice setup but dont know what is needed, not for Winamp / SAM Broadcaster and "mouse-only" DJ`s.

Its a lot of work and my english is not that great (but i can do this in german and russian too), so i have to be sure that many people really want this. 

Just write me what do you want to see first in the tutorial (which software, hardware, server) and what problems do you get while using the current soft/hardware with SL / Radiostations.

Are you planning on selling these tutorials?  Because, if so, you are seriously excluding a large segment of your potential market by focusing only on "real", non-"mouse only" DJs.  It seems to me that most SL DJs are of the mouse only variety, but that doesn't mean that they wouldn't be interested in using mixing software to broadcast in SL.  You might want to consider expanding your intended clientele.

...Dres

Mhhh its both of them. I will make all tutorials open for everyone, but personal help (skype with screen capture, teamwiever - to configure their stuff) will be paid as usual per hour. And i will accept donations aswell.

The point is: DJing is getting easier & cheaper.

Good DJ controller + fine Mic (dynamic, because when you spin, you usually have your speakers pretty loud) cost about 200-400€ now. Most of them have software, some other have even full versions that can broadcast.

There are also some cheap sets like 2 CD-Decks and Mixer or small Mixer + Mic - they are not good enough for clubs, but more than fine for 128kbps audiostream @ home.

And the software can do a lot of stuff for the DJ - like sync the tracks, set autogain and get the right music key. Its easy to learn all that stuff and do some fine mixes after 2-4 weeks of training and watching guides.

I want people to really get into DJing - not just playing music. And because that stuff cost some money (10 years ago people paid about 1000€+ to get a nice second hand setup & some vinyl), i will make most of the stuff free for everyone. 

And there are many tutorials how to use winamp, SAM Broadcaster and other broadcasting tools that are not designed for DJing - but i cant find any tutorials for setting up different hardware and DJ-software (even if that can broadcast directly). There is no need for tutorials on simple stuff.

And there is something else - server setup & settings.

Most people rent a preconfigured shoutcast/icecast server - its OK, but they dont get full control.

If someone has a virtual server, he can set up his own Radiostream (and integrate that in his club) - its usually cheaper and you can use the server for many things: website with a nice domain, Teamspeak & other voice server stuff and finally the radiostream. With so many slots you want (and your server hardware and bandwith can manage), with higher bandwith (up to 320kbps - most people can listen to this without problems) - and you have full access to the server at any time - "unlimited" storage for your AutoDJ.

P.S. thats the official guide how to do set things up:

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Disc_Jockey

As you can see, there is nothing for hardware DJs and DJ-software is not listed. 

And the part with installing your own icecast/shoutcast server on a virtual/dedicated server is missing too - there is only a small part about installing this on your local network (most people want it 24/7, but cant set up a server @ home and the second problem is: most people have dynamic IP @ home, not really helpful for streaming).

There are some DJs that have their own streaming server - and get this for like 10€ per month with huge bandwith and custom settings is great.

Well, I think it would be a wonderful endeavor.  It would certainly provide the residents of SL with a wonderful source of information which, as you've pointed out, is severely lacking at the moment.

Here's a thought: In addition to or, perhaps, even in place of private tutorage, you might consider teaching inworld classes on the subject.  That way you might be able to draw more money in the form of donations.  I see no reason why the information you plan to put together couldn't be crafted into lesson plans. Surely a place like New Citizen's Inc., or some similar type of organization, would consider adding a DJing class to their roster.  It would grant you access to a large group of potential students, should you prove to be a competent teacher.  Of course, that may not be your thing, but I just thought I'd mention it in case it wasn't something which you've already thought about.

...Dres

I dont like the idea of teaching people in a class - sure i can do this and i have the soft&hardware to make some sort of a "webinar" (videostream & chat). But the idea is - to help people set things up quick & stable. Its not about teaching them how to DJ or what can be done with the software they may have, its just about getting a fast overview what they use and help them with connecting everything together or show them some stuff - what they should byu (soft&hardware) if they want blah.

Sure it will give me some money, but thats just not the initial idea. Its for people who usually know what they do - clubDJs, expirienced radioDJs who want to use hardware and not only their mouse.

I need some money for sure, but most of the stuff will be free - just to help people. And if that really helps, they will donate.

Will the set up guide be free? Just the 1 on 1 time paid?  I DJed in SL before but just briefly.  I used Virtual DJ but didn't mix or anything sense I'm still noob but liked it cause it wasn't like an auto play with SAM.

Are you familiar with setting up controllers like The SSX ?  Thinking of getting that to get started but not sure if I need any extra cables.. what type of speakers fit..  etc etc

It will be free - for any software & hardware (except MacOS stuff - i know about it, but dont have it. Most of the settings are similar, its easy).

The only paid part will be personal help, everything else will be free for anyone.

I`m familiar with some of the midi-controller stuff, turntables & CD-decks - nearly anything that DJs use today. And DAW like Ableton Live - its a huge thing right now, the most creative piece of software that can be used for DJing/live gigs.

MIDI  is easy. There are thousands of controllers, but they all work the same way - and the software is important for the stream, not your hardware (but your hardware can set some limits - like pure analog vinyl - its impossible to get ID3 tags because there are no digital title infos).

It will start next week, i will upload some basic stuff first - popular software & controllers. The harder stuff will follow later - depends on what people want to see first.

P.S. Specially fot the Pioneer SX - it works with Serato DJ. And it cant stream - the only way is to grab an output (booth out, so you have your master for speakers and booth out for the stream) and route it over other software (like SAM Broadcaster, edCast tool and anything else that can stream to the server). The "problem" is - you got a pure audio signal, so no ID3 tags will be streamed. You have to type in your songs that you play if you want titles.

I only suggested teaching classes as a way to make money.  I have no idea how many people would be interested in the tutorials which you wish to provide... I can only say that I certainly would and would have no problem financially supporting your work, as long as it proves to be beneficial.  I don't mean beneficial to just me, but to the SL community at large.  As I've stated before, I definitely think it would be and I think you should continue with your endeavor regardless.

...Dres (Don't be surprised if you get an IM from me, one day, asking for your help.)

Like i said, teaching classes (more than 1-2 people at the same time) is not really good. There is so many different hard & software and different ways to connect this together.. Its just not really useful and people will leave.

Many people may need some personal help or just some tips what to do, what should they search on google and that stuff. 

The basic stuff will cover anything - specially the own server part - many clubs want DJs with own server, mostly shoutcast. And the rent for a shoutcast server with 50 slots and 128kbps is usually higher than a rent for a virtual linux server with unlimited bandwith, 1-2gb RAM, 100gb storage and 1-2 cores + .eu or .com domain. 

But if you have a server, you can do anything - like installing more channels and let people use it, installing teamspeak, get your website up with a nice domain - and still have some power to run other stuff or just keep your files online like a cloud server - that should be interesting.

Currently i pay about 10€ monthly + 18€ per year (for a .eu domain) and i can run up to 5 different servers without reaching the RAM or the CPU limit. 

Its about the software, that you use.

The SX is in that case just a really expensive "keyboard" with a soundcard inside. It sends MIDI, the same like any gamepad/joystick or a 25 year old keyboard/synthie with MIDI Out :-)

Its how any midi-controller works - some of them have other functions, others are just MIDI.

The current "Problem" is - most DJ software cant stream at all. So you will need a third party tool (free or paid) and some extra cables to connect it together. And you will get a pure audio stream, so interactive tags, no titles - you have to edit this manually.

DJs got nearly anything that is possible with the current hard&software - beatsync video, light with "sound to light" mode,  software for any OS - even for iphone.. but that one stupid function is missing and we all got different problems. VirtualDJ & Mixxx are great, but they are far behind other DJ tools and VDJ is still expensive and there are no controllers with Pro version - anyone has to pay some extra money if they want to use it.

• 2 weeks later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3954 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.