Racism in SL

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

As a colored man I came for the first time in Venice Sim Passion. I wanted to rent a house. I was ignored. Only after I had given myself a white skin I got the Apartment I wanted. Until I showed in my own dark skin once. I was thrown out the sim with a very weak excuse and even banned. Racism is in SL even worse than in RL.

Hi Raddulf.

Are you sure that it was for your avatar and not maybe for some attachment scripts connected to the previous avatar you were wearing? maybe the sim has scripts limits.

Internet in general and sl is full of oddities, so I wouldn't say  that I don't belive you (negationism is the support and fertile ground of racism we all know that).

However  it is a must I'd ask you :do you have proofs , certain proofs that your ejections and ban were due to the skin that you were wearing?

Without certain proofs you couldn't move such an heavy accuse.

With this I don't mean that I don't belive you, as I said, just I want to help you more to let you avoid to make false steps and give someone even bigger power over you.

while I suspect you might have been discriminated against, i doubt that is was for the colour of your pixel skin, as there are all colours of skin and no one ever knows if your the same colour is your avatar, its usually taken for granted you not. perhaps there was some other weak excuse. People often bann others from sims for any number of ,what we might think of as, small reasons. never mind, move on and forget them and continue on with your journey....good luck

Raddulf wrote:

As
a colored man
I came
for
the
first time in
Venice
Sim
Passion
I wanted to
rent a house.
I
was ignored
Only after I
had given
myself
a
white skin
I got
the Apartment
I wanted
Until I
showed
in my
own dark
skin
once.
I
was
thrown out
the
sim with a very weak excuse
and
even
banned
Racism is
in SL
even
worse than
in RL

Indeed, there is racism in SL. In fact, some people are so clueless about racial issues that they think the reaction to their imaginary avatar can be compared with real-life racial discrimination. Of course, when some of these people describe "themselves" with terminology that members of the group they're playing haven't used in forty years, much less with terms that are so offensive they are automatically edited by the forum software, you sort of think that not only are they not actually members of that RL ethnic group, they probably haven't even MET one in RL.

Not that this necessarily has anything to do with you, of course....

Theresa, I thought I was the only one who picked up on the use of "colored."

To the OP: as long as no racist slurs were flung at you, thinly veiled excuses are not needed to ban you from a sim. People are banned for being White, they are banned for being too short or too tall ... essentially, sim owners can ban whomever they want for whatever reason and don't need to make up excuses to do so.

I've noticed a growing trend in SL ... avatars who start out as white are making themselves progressively darker until they go all the way and get themselves a good Black skin and edit their shapes to suit the skin. This is among gay men with whom I hang out that I've noticed this, can't say much about the rest of the SL population. This happens to really bother a friend of mine who is Black in RL, others take it as imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

I don't know that racism ... or many of the "isms" genuinely exist in SL. RL Black people have White avatars and vice versa, RL men have women avatars ... also there are alot of very sexist and racist RPs around, and honestly, I have a hard time believing people who participate in a racial RP are the same race in RL as their avatars, given the nature of some of the RPs.

Two friends of mine commented on a RP group, White masters and Black slaves, and said a master and a quartet of his slaves showed up at a club where they were with offensive group tags worn by the Black avatars who were kneeling and begging like dogs ... their fantasy of course but really gross to those witnessing it. I've also seen the reverse, Black masters with White slaves. As for the White master and his slaves, my friends said that everyone at the club thought they were sad and pathetic as well as offensive, and that the slaves  "probably skinny, pasty faced White men with no social skills who want to feel superior but have nothing to feel superior about" in RL, so they subjugate their own alter ego online since no one else will put up with their bs.

As long as racism exists in RL, it will exist online to some extent but no, it is in NO WAY as bad as it is in RL, and to suggest that wearing a Black skin  and being talked down to is the same as say, being asked for two forms of identification when attempting to write a check for groceries to feed your family is ridiculous.

Are YOU a "colored man" Raddulf, or is your avatar? What colour are you? Dark blue, dark red, dark purple (cue: Smoke On The Water riff)

Next you'll be suggesting that you're discriminated against because your avatar is eight foot tall and left-handed.

Awe . . . fully cognisant of the ridiculous nature of the complaint.

Raddulf wrote:

As
a colored man
I came
for
the
first time in
Venice
Sim
Passion
I wanted to
rent a house.
I
was ignored
Only after I
had given
myself
a
white skin
I got
the Apartment
I wanted
Until I
showed
in my
own dark
skin
once.
I
was
thrown out
the
sim with a very weak excuse
and
even
banned
Racism is
in SL
even
worse than
in RL

ok i'm sold..

*searches her bag*

where the heck did it go!

*Searches some more*

Dammnit!! 

OK did someone borrow my "sarcasm off button" image? i know it was here yesterday!

Lucretia Brandenburg wrote:

is in RL, and to suggest that wearing a Black skin  and being talked down to is the same as say, being asked for two forms of identification when attempting to write a check for groceries to feed your family .

I was always asked for 2 forms of ID - they used to demand phone # and sometimes even SS # too - and I'm so white I'm almost see-through. Out here they do that with everybody.

its sad that those people who feel aversion to a person because of the color of the skin bring that to second life too, maybe they cant help it, it might be rooted on them, but that doesnt make them a better person.

in a positive note, you are now in a position where you can find a place where the color you choose will be respected, you are safe from that place where probably you wouldnt find yourself comfortable.

im sure in second life there is that place that suits your needs.

only "racism" I've encountered wearing a dark skin sometimes (or on my alt who wears one all the time) was a single CARP style sim where I was told I couldn't roleplay there because CARP style roleplay involving negroid female captives is supposedly racist, so to avoid being called racist they had to ask me to leave.

And in the twisted way "racism" is used as a stopword to call anything that isn't black (or whatever non-white skin) supremacist they even had a point... Not a point I at all agree with, but there's so many jerks around trying to get sims closed and accounts banned by filing idiotic ARs for non-issues that it's often better to be safe than sorry ("child avatars" is another such issue).

Most places I have rented from works like this - contact the LO or owners for a group tag (to make sure you are not waiting around for one) then pay the rent, move in.

Most cases I never actually saw the avatar of the owner. The only concern land owners in SL have is - can you pay the rent? Well and adult avys ionly on adult or mature lands. Well that and don't go over on prims but no one cares what color an avatar is.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3968 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.