Renting VS Buying land

Christin73

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Today I was looking around at land just out of curiocity. Currently I rent a decent sized sky platform for reasonably price. Anyway I was looking at buying land perticurly in "estates".  I noticed small partials teir fees go for more then what I pay in rent. I would love to find land I can buy without having to pay every week or every month. Whats the point in paying teir fees.after buying something. Might as well rent. Just my opinion.

Keep renting skyboxes if you are happy with it. I mostly live on ground level, and have a little skybox I play with and decorate.

Some land is sold for first week or month's rent, and no cost is involved in the land itself. Others you are paying for a community feel and covenent and special terraformed parcels, instead of a square block of sand or grass.

Just depends on if you want to live on the ground or not.

Christin73 wrote:

I noticed small partials teir fees go for more then what I pay in rent.

You pay less rent for a skyplatform because you are shairing the same lot, as well as the tiers for that lot, wtih other people.  Your landlord has mulitple platforms stacked over one lot.  When you own land you are responsible for all of tiers.  But you also get a lot more freedom to do what  you'd like on the land.

I would love to find land I can buy without having to pay every week or every month. Whats the point in paying teir fees.after buying something. Might as well rent. Just my opinion.

You and evertibe in Sl.  Not going ot happen though.  Who do you think pays for the monthly cost for the server that runs the land?  Not LL.  You do in the form of tiers or rent.

Christin73 wrote:

Whats the point in paying teir fees.after buying something. Might as well rent. Just my opinion.

When we buy land in real life, build a house there, we cannot live there for the rest of our lives for free.  There are bills to be paid regurlarly - electricity, water, sewage disposal, etc.  Money must be reserved saved also for repairs and maintenance of the house.

In this respect Second Life is a bit like real life.  Even if we buy land, it's only the initial cost.  Servers need electricity constantly, servers need staff, they don't run indefinitely without service and updating.  You can think of the server computers to be the heart of everything in SL.  If they stop, everything in SL will cease to exist.  If there is no money to keep them running constantly then this world is no more.

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Christin73 wrote:

You pay less rent for a skyplatform because you are shairing the same lot, as well as the tiers for that lot, wtih other people.  Your landlord has mulitple platforms stacked over one lot.  When you own land you are responsible for all of tiers.  But you also get a lot more freedom to do what  you'd like on the land.

A landlord does not necesarily have to "stack" platforms one above the other to offer a lower price.

Cost per sqm goes down as you own larger areas.

Leaving the cost of premium membership out of the equation, if you own a full SIM on mainland, your cost for 1024 is roughly $3.00 per month.  If it is an Estate, the cost for that same area would be about $4.60 per month.

For an individual wanting to own their own 1024, tier is $8.00 per month.  So a landlord can rent a 1024 for less than $8.00 per month and still make money.

This is one of the reasons why Linden Homes has been a boon to LL, even though they have really hurt the small parcel rental market .  LL is making more money per sqm than they were from the land lords.

I thank you all for your conversation about this...I currently have a 512 Linden home as a premium member and have been getting itchy to find somethng with more prim availability and without a hundred other townhouses and their windows staring at my windows.  The available prim count is 117 and I was amazed at how fast that filled up...even with 1 prim furniture of just a room and a half.. lve been nosing around looking at prices and trying to figure out what to do...

Live on a fixed (acutally broken) income and don't have a ton of discretionary money to spend here...sigh..thought about auctions, boats, etc; and also renting....haven't done enough research yet to even get a vague idea of what would be the best angle....

So threads like this one are perfect for me to read and get more confus.....er ... a more coherant idea of what todo....

Perrie Juran wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Christin73 wrote:

A landlord does not necesarily have to "stack" platforms one above the other to offer a lower price.

Leaving the cost of premium membership out of the equation, if you own a full SIM on mainland, your cost for 1024 is roughly $3.00 per month.  If it is an Estate, the cost for that same area would be about $4.60 per month.

For an individual wanting to own their own 1024, tier is $8.00 per month.  So a landlord can rent a 1024 for less than $8.00 per month and still make money.

This is one of the reasons why Linden Homes has been a boon to LL, even though they have really hurt the small parcel rental market .  LL is making more money per sqm than they were from the land lords.

That is only true for mainland. For private estates the cost per square meter stays the same (until you get into the dozens or hundreds of regions in which case you might be able to negotiate a volume discount).

Linden homes, yes. Of course they've caused a shift as well, towards larger mainland parcels which lowers server load (I guess) and makes things look more consistent as well on a small scale (now if only people were to become considerate of others and stop putting up "privacy walls" and security orbs or other banlines that block passage for travelers).

The Linden homes are OK. I had one for a couple of months. Its amazing what you can do with 117 prims. But, considering premium costs about $10 a month and you lose the house if you lose premium. I didn't think that was such a good deal. For my platform I get 60X60 to do whatever I want to with 300 prims. Amazing what 300 prims will do.

jwenting wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Amethyst Jetaime wrote:

Christin73 wrote:

That is only true for mainland. For private estates the cost per square meter stays the same (until you get into the dozens or hundreds of regions in which case you might be able to negotiate a volume discount).

Linden homes, yes. Of course they've caused a shift as well, towards larger mainland parcels which lowers server load (I guess) and makes things look more consistent as well on a small scale (now if only people were to become considerate of others and stop putting up "privacy walls" and security orbs or other banlines that block passage for travelers).

I perhaps could have been clearer.  I was simply explaining why you would be able to rent a smaller parcel (Mainland or Estate) from someone who owns an entire SIM for less than the cost of tier if you owned that small parcel yourself.  I do understand you have to buy an entire Estate SIM from LL if you want to own it yourself. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3972 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.