Sign in to follow this  
mirbaz

Friends using their alt accounts on you

Has this happened with any of you, not as a joke but seriously, i suspect that a platonic good friend of mine did that to me for two months, i dont think it was her intent, she was probally looking for others but since me and her alt got talking we kind of hit it off and had a relationship of sorts, at no point did I suspect as their talking styles were totally different, but some thigs she and her alt told me that got me thinking and my exchange with her yesterday seemed like I was talking to her alt, its like she momentaily forgot its her main account I'm chatting with, the exchange was us=nusally short considering she came online after a few days and left suddenly witout saying bye, normally shes very cheerful her alt is the opposite so this was her alt behaviour, maybe she tealised her blooper and logged off suddenly.

Welcome to Second Life Forums as mirbaz :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

Not quite the same thing, but my first SL partner paid me a visit in world, and started talking to me. Except he was an alt, and he said he wanted to talk to me, but had done so in error; was, at that time, seeing someone else, and had logged in on an alt account to avoid her, but forgot he was in as the alt, and had IMd me.

Wasn't a nice thing to do - to me, or to his then current partner.  He obviously had massive loyalty (and alcohol) issues.

If you were hitting it off with this supposed alt of your platonic friend, as long as you were getting along fine, maybe in the long-term it wouldn't matter that they were in as an alt. Over time, I've become far more tolerant of people's use of alts, expecting the worst more often than not, but going along with things while they're fun and not harming anyone.

Have you spoken to her since she logged off? If you are ok about her turning out to be the alt of your platonic friend, just let her know its ok. And if she turns out not to be the alt of your platonic friend and never speaks to you again, hey ho, time to move on, I guess.

If she logs in tonight I will tell her as you suggested, me and her supposed alt parted ways a few days back and oddly she too has been offline since. Yeh no harm at all if she did but I liker her alt more, not sure what her real persona is like.

Yup, this was done to me twice. The first time was an alt of my ex and, I regret to say, I fell for it; the 'new girl' disappeared without warning about the time I began strongly suspecting -she probably sensed my increasing wariness. I say that I regret it because, in hindsight, I realize that I had rather ample evidence, yet never confronted her on it... I guess I felt a certain guilt over the initial breakup that may have been unconsciously hindering my common sense with thoughts of 'giving it, and her, a second chance'.

The second time was far shorter and didn't actually develop into a relationship with either account, so I had little chance to suspect foul play again; it was a slip of hers that made it patently clear, and by then I was so strongly against that kind of thing, I inmediately broke any contact whatsoever with her -defriended and muted all her alts that I knew of, and even stopped visiting the place where we'd met.

To this day I still barely tolerate even the most innocent of practical jokes involving alts, and all my friends know how strongly I would react against any serious fooling around. I have no problems whatsoever with alts, I have a couple myself, but the moment they're used disingenously against me, it's very nearly a deal breaker.

I would say basically sharing and wanting to hear others experiences more so about the other party making a blunder not realising they're signed in the alt account that you are not supposed to know of.

I have a similar experience. This person intentionally approached me with his alt after creating this whole new personality. He acted as if he's a victim of the harsh of SL communities, n often spoke of quitting SL. Afew days later, this woman approached me while I was hanging out at my favourite place. She IM-ed me to intrigue my interests as if she knew them prior to our first encounter n I got this instant gut feeling that they are the same person. So I confronted him n her at the same time in IMs, n they were both quiet cos I reacted so fast. Later on he caved n said he did it to get to know me better, apparently he wanted to get to know me as a woman as well...saying I acted so distant with him when he was trying so hard to be my "bestfriend." I typed in 'lol' this face cos I didnt know what to say to him anymore. Somehow it upset him so much that he logged off suddenly with the other account. He never came back nor the other female account. 

I posted this is another thread, but it totally applies here as well,

This post really hit home for me. My first serious SL relationship was so incredible, we partnered, had a gorgeous SL wedding, and things were blissful. Then one day he introduced me to a good friend of his. This friend, he explained, had one shortcoming, and that was that he was a total player. The friend was always bringing different women to our home to visit, especially when my husband wasn't online. Now, I am a fairly intelligent person, and noticed certain things about this person from the beginning. He occasionally used phrasing or wording/spelling that my husband did. I had that hinky feeling from the get go. I was right, it was him using an alt. He had both on at the same time when he introduced us, and occasionally thereafter. For a minute I tried to make myself believe that I was just imagining it, I didn't want to believe that my gloriously happy SL marriage was all a lie. I finally had to wake up, smell the coffee and realize that he was, in fact, that big of an a**hole. I confronted him, and at first he denied it vehemently. Eventually, he came clean. Even after we unpartnered, and he was in other relationships, he would message me and want me to be the other woman. NOT! We had even taken things to RL in a way, with phone calls, and plans. He's actually a pretty big deal in the Canadian government, and was promising me a comfortable life if I were to move to Canada. I sent him, and his children gifts from Disney, but at the same time all this other SL stuff happened, I also found out that in RL HE'S MARRIED...Ughhhhhhh! I was hurt, but so glad I got rid of him in BOTH worlds. He is obviously a cheater in SL AND RL!

welcome to virtual worlds where people are better than Jarod at changing identities!

just take it easy forget (it doesn't mean forgive) just means turn the page and move on , if this is bugging you so much.

It's better a direct talk ( even if it could appear rude) than living in lies or if you can't do that just move away and start over.

I had a partner when I started ,who was a way like this and of course I am a beep at finding out personalitis' aspects. That person had a good bumch of alts that wanted me to thin that they were friends or so, some of them also with a discutible behaviour  to me to not use other words .

Now that person married ne of those alts:P and I stay on my way happy and safer:P.

Don't forget that intenet is realm of oddities and you can see anything.