3DS Max 2010 Rigged Mesh Exporting?

Spibe

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

How exactly is this done?  I downloaded:  2011.3.1 FBX Plugin which was recommended from: http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Exporting_a_mesh_from_3ds_Max#Fixing_number_of_bones

But as another tutorial said, it might be impossible to upload a rigged mesh unless you have the Autodesk FBX 2013.2 plugin.  Which is only available for 3ds Max 2012+

With that said, does that mean it's impossible to upload rigged mesh with 3ds Max 2010?

I also was confused about this statement:

• All vertexes need to be weighted to 1.0 total (no unweighted or partially weighted ones). At joints weight vertexes to the two or more nearest bones to get a smooth bend.

I'm wondering if this is where my mistake is.  I don't know if all my vertexes are weighted to a total of 1, and am unsure how I can fix that if they aren't.

This is what it looks like when I try to upload it:

Trouble8.png

The model ends up looking flat instead of 3D When I click the deformations option.  Without clicking it my mesh isn't rigged, but if I do click it, it rigs a 2D-ish model:

Trouble9.png

You have me stumped. I'm not a 3DS user. But, I can't imagine anything in the SL Import process is causing this.

I think the problem has to be in the FBX conversion. You should be able to look inside the exported files and see what is being created. Obviously something is happening to your 3rd dimension. Try different export formats and compare the vertex data. 

Looking in Google I find that there are a number of Collada Export plugins for 3DS. You might try one of those.

There is a wiki page, if you haven't already seen it: https://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Mesh/Exporting_a_mesh_from_3ds_Max

The page says Autodesk FBX 2013.2 works but that Autodesk FBX 2013.0 or 2013.1 do not work. That may be out of date information. 

There is a link on the wiki page that leads to an FBX archive. You might get the version of FBX you need there.

Good luck

Since the model uploads fine unrigged, I suspect the problem is with the skeleton (scale?) you used. This could explain both the "flatness" and the weird deformations in the picture.

So my question is: "where did you get yours?"

The SLAV skeleton doesn't give me any issues. Make sure you use the correct maxscript and make sure to set the scale to 1.0.

The FBX 2013.2 or 2013.3 are needed for Max versions 2012 and 2013 if you don't want to take a detour with fbx files. Since you use 2010, the 2011.3.1 should work fine. People with much older versions are able to upload rigged mesh.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3970 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.