Stop with the notecards

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've decided that, on my very short list of "Annoying things in SL", notecards are in the top... three.

They're useful for writing instructions with products. They're useful for sending out in notices to put additional info that won't fit in the notice itself. Aside from that, I personally think they should never be used for sending people information. Ever.

You know what I hate most about them? When I get two rapid fire emails, one that says "hi" and the next that says so and so has offered me inventory, a goddamned notecard.

This is particularly annoying when every avenue of contacting me says to use IMs. WTF, I can't do anything with a notecard until 8 hours from now when I log in, then you're going to **bleep** that it took me too long to answer you. Especially when it's something retarded like a yes or no question.

You know what's even worse than that? When I IM someone, and they claim they didn't get it because their IMs cap, use notecards. That's probably one of the dumber things people say in SL... Particularly merchants. Turn on IM to email, and your IMs will never cap. Ever. You'll be able to read every single one. If you don't do this simple thing, you're probably a terrible merchant and should close your store, delete SL off your computer, then set your computer on fire and never go near the Internet again.

Okay, I feel better now. Got that out of my system.

• Thanks 1

I have always thaught it anoying when even a skirt or shoes come with a note card. The simplest things come with note cards and is unneccery. Same with the email notifications. I am in some realy active groups and it can clog up email. I could go on lol but I won't.

actually you wrong about the capping. I never used to get capped, but since all the cost cutting, my messages get capped and i dont get them all. so I ask a NC be sent just to make sure i get it. So take you head out of your arse, messaga get capped and people send NC as an assurance that the message will have been recieved.

want to know what annoys me? people the complain about things just becasue they cant see the value in them, or they are so uninformed they formulate rediculous arguement against something that the rest of the world uses on a regular basis.

wiked Anton wrote:

actually you wrong about the capping. I never used to get capped, but since all the cost cutting, my messages get capped and i dont get them all. so I ask a NC be sent just to make sure i get it. So take you head out of your arse, messaga get capped and people send NC as an assurance that the message will have been recieved.

want to know what annoys me? people the complain about things just becasue they cant see the value in them, or they are so uninformed they formulate rediculous arguement against something that the rest of the world uses on a regular basis.

If your IMs are getting capped, you don't have IM to email enabled. The other day I got spammed by an object. Dozens and dozens of messages later, I didn't miss a single message or notice sent to me.

Turn on IM to email or STFU.

actualy turning IM to email on does not stop you getting capped, I regulary log in to message capped and not seeing the messages I go in the email.

Personaly i rather get a notecard then a single Hi followed by a friendship request, if you want to ask me something ask me and don't wait till we both are online at the same time as that might be never thanks to timezones

The viewer may say they're capped and not show them (after the fact) , but like you said, they still go to your email anyway, usually instantly. That's the point I'm making.

I've carried on whole conversations via IM to email, long after the 25 message cap limit.

IM to email is no guarantee you will get the message,  there was an incident a few years back where backed up IM's started appearing and confusing conversations ensued, backed up by months I should add.

I prefer getting notecards, you prefer getting IM's, the more important issue is how you get this information to the people who may want to contact you, some people prefer emails and list their email address in their profile.

I agree with you, my IM's have always gone to email and I do get capped sometimes because of how many messages I have received and when you sign in (yes after reading them on your email) you get a message stating you have reached the amount of messages before they start dropping off. I never took notecards when doing rentals so I could see how urgent the need was and they would get capped even as I answered them back by email.

edit typos

This is the link I originally thought I posted Capped IM's if you scroll down to the bottom it shows the amount you can receive and if getting them offline what you need to know (not directed at you )

Gadget Portal wrote:

I

You know what's even worse than that? When I IM someone, and they claim they didn't get it because their IMs cap, use notecards. That's probably one of the dumber things people say in SL... Particularly merchants.
Turn on IM to email, and your IMs will never cap. Ever. You'll be able to read every single one. If you don't do this simple thing, you're probably a terrible merchant and should close your store, delete SL off your computer, then set your computer on fire and never go near the Internet again.

Uhh, that's not true. I have used im to email since what feels like forever. I still cap, and I still have emails that never get sent. No, they don't go to spam. I'm actually quite religious about checking my spam. But things DO get missed. Not as often as they used to, beats me why as I doubt LL has done anything to fix that, but it still happens. And of course when it does happens, it always happens to the most irate people, lol.

I cap all the time, even with keeping group notices off on nearly ever group, setting IM to email, placing various ways to contact me in my profile over the years(which, has changed here and there). There is still missed communication. This is why I prefer people send me both, NC and IM. If at all possible. If not, whatever they're comfortable with, but I'm not responsible if the message doesn't get through.

I know I'm not the only merchant with that problem, either. There have been a lot of posts about it over the years.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

I prefer getting notecards, you prefer getting IM's,
the more important issue is how you get this information to the people who may want to contact you
, some people prefer emails and list their email address in their profile.

Bolded part for emphasis. Like I said, make it readily obvious that I prefer IM to notecard, and I still get notecard offers to my email.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

IM to email is no guarantee you will get the message, 
there was an incident a few years back where backed up IM's started appearing and confusing conversations ensued, backed up by months I should add.

This happens a lot actually. Every so often odd messages from ages ago start to appear. It's very sporadic, and doesn't happen to the majority, so no one cares, lol. But it does happen. It first started a few years ago, I think, at least on a larger scale, but it has continued to happen since.

Ive seen it, even though I've only had a few messages since, do this, I've seen others get messages from 6+ months ago. Sometimes they are messages that WERE seen, sometimes they aren't. Hit or miss and no one at LL can, or would, tell me what could cause it. Pretty sure there were JIRAs, but those are kinda useless now.

KapaCorn wrote:

I think what the OP is trying to say is if you enable "Offline Messages" that any and all messages will be forwarded to your email even if your in-world messages have been capped.. I think when people send notecards its not meant to be annoying but to ensure an important message is received. In my experience those who send notecards usually don't have any issue with a more timely response.  Not everyone likes receiving messages offline so its hard to say thats a viable solution.   I personally think if your a business owner you should have all windows of communication open and not let something as simple as a notecard take the sparkle from your day
:D

I believe he is, but if you don't respond with 5 days from email you can't reply any longer also there is a character limit when replying to IM from email and that includes the character count from the original IM sent to you unless you delete their text. Everyone does have their choice of communication that suits them best and yes I wouldn't let that ruin my day, but maybe it really bothers the OP and who are we to say it's not a real aggravation to him :)

KapaCorn wrote:

I think what the OP is trying to say is if you enable "Offline Messages" that any and all messages will be forwarded to your email even if your in-world messages have been capped.. 

Bingo. Why do so many people not know this?

To clarify why this has come up.

My profile specifically says to send IMs, not notecards. On top of that, the other day, I was tasked with gathering beta testers for a product I made for a land baron. So I sent out a notice that specifically said to send me IMs if you want to be a beta tester.

What happens? I get spammed with notecards that I can't read, instead of the IMs I asked for.

Ciaran Laval wrote:

The CHUI conversations log was supposed to show conversations from the last 30 days, but it doesn't seem to work for me.

An LL product that doesn't seem to work? Wait, hang on, I'm going to try to be shocked.

Gadget Portal wrote:

To clarify why this has come up.

My profile specifically says to send IMs, not notecards. On top of that, the other day, I was tasked with gathering beta testers for a product I made for a land baron. So I sent out a notice that specifically said to 
send me IMs
if you want to be a beta tester.

What happens? I get spammed with notecards that I can't read, instead of the IMs I asked for.

So your real issue is not with note cards but people who can't follow instructions.  You are having a hard time finding any one you can trust to take a message to Garcia.

Tari Landar wrote:

This is why I prefer people send me both, NC and IM. If at all possible. If not, whatever they're comfortable with, but I'm not responsible if the message doesn't get through.

I ask the same from my customers, Tari.  I figure if the message doesn't reach me one way, at least it will have a chance of arriving by the alternate method.  I just want my customers to contact me with *any* concerns/issues/questions - I'm not that concerned how they do it.

Edit: Typo

My IMs don't cap, I just have a serious notecard fetish. I saw that in someone's profile:)

Recently I started to notice that some of my offlines get lost on their way to my mailbox and 2 days ago it was first time after a while that I got a msg on mail and inbox, as soon as I logged. The IM was from some girl I never heard of, she said that my estate owner is probably her sl ex boyfriend who banned her from all his sims without a reason and advised me to move out somewhere else so she can use my services. 

Have a nice day everyone;) 

Gadget Portal wrote:

I've decided that, on my very short list of "Annoying things in SL", notecards are in the top... three.

They're useful for writing instructions with products. They're useful for sending out in notices to put additional info that won't fit in the notice itself. Aside from that, I personally think they should never be used for sending people information. Ever.

You know what I hate most about them? When I get two rapid fire emails, one that says "hi" and the next that says so and so has offered me inventory, a goddamned notecard.

This is particularly annoying when every avenue of contacting me says to use IMs. WTF, I can't do anything with a notecard until 8 hours from now when I log in, then you're going to **bleep** that it took me too long to answer you. Especially when it's something retarded like a yes or no question.

You know what's even worse than that? When I IM someone, and they claim they didn't get it because their IMs cap, use notecards. That's probably one of the dumber things people say in SL... Particularly merchants. Turn on IM to email, and your IMs will never cap. Ever. You'll be able to read every single one. If you don't do this simple thing, you're probably a terrible merchant and should close your store, delete SL off your computer, then set your computer on fire and never go near the Internet again.

Have you looked into a career as a cracked com writer? You'd fit right in there, good read, made me nod my head, facepalm and chuckle all at once.

Since enabling offline IMs to go to e-mail, I haven't had a problem with capped IMs. Actually, I'd rather people contact me via my profile "send message" feature than notecard. I can read and respond to those while not logged in as well. If people really are having issues where offline IMs are not going to email, I hope they're filing support tickets so LL knows there's a problem. But even in that case the newer profile-based messaging feature is, again, far better than notecards.

Notecards are about the worst method of communication, inconvenient for both the person sending the message and the person recieving.

Notecards or anything sent by a scripted object can cap, too. I get lots and lots of IMs to email every day since most of my work is done in Blender and I cannot recall ever missing one. Every now and then one will go to the spam folder but I check that regularly.

The ONLY thing a notecard is good for IMO is that no one writes a notecard that says nothing but "Hi" or "Are you busy?". 

@Perrie: While you're right about people not following instructions, it's also partly to blame on dumb merchants that insist that they will never receive a message if it's not a note card.

@iCade: I often consider a career as an angry writer/reviewer like you see on those websites, but I don't get angry at enough stuff to make it a full time job.

@Penny: I knew someone would show up and agree with me if I waited long enough. Finally a voice of reason!

That's what I'm saying. Since taking this job with the land baron, I get dozens of messages every day to email, from both residents and scripted objects. And although they're capped when I log in, that doesn't matter because I've already received and replied to them hours ago via email.

I really have a hard time trying to understand that kind of fuzz.

If I have to contact a inknown people in SL, after finding their profile, the first thing I do is to read it.

Many times there is a line saying "if you need to contact me, please do via...". If I do want a respionse from them, the best to do is following what they want.

If they don't have a preferred method in profile, it's not my fault.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3982 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.