A Hud refuses to rez for me...

Keel Cahir

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

So, I've had the M# anime head for a good while now, I think a couple months. It's been awesome.

I use the hud quite alot, especially when rolplaying, cause I tend to change the face alot. However, Recently, the hud has decided to, out of the blue, not rez.

OH, it's still in my inventory, and my mouse cursor changes when I hover over the area it used to be, But when I click, nothign happens no face changes, no anything. The thing is, I've tried everythign under the sun. Relogging, Changing the graphic detail from low to high, getting a new one via update card, Clearing my Cache. The only thign that's worked is using a different viewer.

I normally use FireStorm, because it makes my SL life easy. When ever I have trouble I switch to Phoenix, because it's an older version of SL. SO i switched finally, after trying all the remedies, and lo and behold, the hud shows up. And works completely fine on Phoenix. So I switch back to Firestorming, thinking it's fixed. Nope. It's gone again. It seems to only show up on Phoenix. SO

Tell me just what the hell is going on with my viewer? And Why can't I see my Hud anymore?

*Updated: I have tried the Rezzing in world, and it's the same thing, I can't see it. No transparencies or anything show up. And I know it has some, because it's textures have spots that are see through, so it should show up. But it doesn't.  I've tried one of the tricks on the link, but again, nothing. I dunno, it's strange that this would occur out of the blue. There's literally no reason for it. No updates in firestorm or anything, really.

4 answers to this question

I'm not quite clear about what's happening, but I assume the bottom line is that you can't see your HUD, even though it is highlighted in inventory as worn. There are a couple of possibilities.

1. The simplest possibility is that you've somehow shoved it out of the visible area on your screen.  I hate admitting this, but I do that accidentally myself.  So ... select a different HUD on your screen (your AO, maybe?) and then scroll the mouse wheel in so that the screen outline shrinks.  If you're lucky, the HUD you're looking for will be lurking just outside the rectangle.  Grab it and drag it back.

2. Second possibility.  Niow that we are in the transition period to Server Side Appearance, viewers are wrestling with a bug that sometimes makes objects fail to rez.  Phoenix isn't likely to do that, because it is an old, obsolete viewer that the developers aren't upgrading for SSA. You can try right clicking where the HUD ought to be, or toggling in and out of wireframe mode (with CTRL + Shift + R), or you can try some of the strategies at http://wiki.phoenixviewer.com/http_fetching_issues .  It also might be worth rezzing the HUD in world too, to see if it's visible there.  Just don't lose sight of it.  HUDs are small and sometimes hard to find.

BTW, clearing cache is not likely to make any difference at all, except to make everything rez slowly until your viewer rebuilds the cache again. Unless you know that you have an inventory issue, there's rarely a good reason to clear cache.

Rez the HUD. Then click over the listing in inventory and choose edit.  If the HUD is there, it will produce at lease one reference line.  If it's showing an intersection on your screen, then its on its side and you can't see it.  Put your cursor (still in edit) over the HUD and press Ctrl.  Try rotating the HUD so you can see it.  In some cases that means I had to not only rotate it vertically, I had to spin it horizontally so it was facing me again.  Once its back where you want it, leave edit and it should stay there.

Now...all you see is a green or blue line going off screen when you go into edit.  Put your cursor at the corner of the screen and move it in.  You will see a screen square pull in and somewhere off that screen square will be your HUD.  Move it back onto the screen and leave edit.  It should stay put.

SO:  It could be either on its side and not visible (but when you run the cursor over it, yeah, the cursor will show it) or it could be off screen.  Either is fixable in Edit and either can happen by accident.  Good luck.  Just for the heck of it, try Ctrl-Alt-T and see if its become transparent for some reason.  That is fixable on the Edit > Texture panel (transparency).

Keel Cahir wrote:

[ ...]

*Updated: I have tried the Rezzing in world, and it's the same thing, I can't see it. No transparencies or anything show up. And I know it has some, because it's textures have spots that are see through, so it should show up. But it doesn't.  I've tried one of the tricks on the link, but again, nothing. I dunno, it's strange that this would occur out of the blue. There's literally no reason for it. No updates in firestorm or anything, really.

Interesting.  I would have bet on it being off screen, although the possibility of it being rotated was a good guess too.  The fact that you say the cursor changes when you mouse over the spot where it belongs really makes me sure that it's there. It's hard for either of those to be right if you can't see the thing when it's rezzed in world, though. 

No, not meaning to be too skeptical, but .... let's be really sure that it didn't rez in world.

1. Type CTRL + 3 to open your Edit tool.

2. Type CTRL + Alt + T to enable highlighting of transparent objects

3. Drag the HUD from your inventory and dop in in a clean, bare place where it won't be hidden among other tiny things.

When the HUD rezzes, it should be right at the center of your Edit tool (RGB) axes.  If it's transparent at all, it will be highlighted red.  It's almost certainly going to be 0.1m square or smaller, so zoom in.  Also, it's likely to be sknny and you are very likely to be looking at an edge or the back side, so rotate your camera around it.  If it rezzed, you'll see it.  Then you'll have to go back and look again at one of the on-screen suggestions we made in our other posts.  I'm really 99% sure that it's there.

If it really didn't rez, and if you aren't somewhere that rezzing is forbidden, then this is a BIG mystery.

something that could have happened, is that you changed accidentally the texture of your HUD interface (it happened to me before ) and turned it into transparency or changed the texture.

Like the other persons above said, wear your hud and right clik on its name in your inventory, then select "modify". in the edit tab, go in texture tab and check the transparency value. it has to be to 0, so if its higher, lower the value till 0.

check also the square "texture", and look what is inside. normally it should say "multiple". 

check the box above in the edit tab "edit linked part" and then try to clik randomly on each part of your HUD. and look in the texture tab. if you dont see the original texture, so there is a pb, you deleted it. and well, you still can ask the creator, but the better to do in the future, its to make a backup copy of your HUD in your inventory (if the HUD has copy perms) in case such things happen in the future.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3975 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.