Server Side Baking: How close is the sim server code to deployment?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am getting weary of the vagueness, Even the latest official blog post on the subject of Project Sunshine reads like just another "get the right viewer" campaign. I get no real sense of any progress.

I have seen, somewhere, claims that the sim server code is already deployed, and is lurking under the surface, waiting to be switched on. And there is going to have to be some testing, some sort of transition period, as Linden Labs finally finds out just what the loads on the network and the baking servers are really going to be.

How long are we going to be left on tenterhooks about this? When is somebody going to say something as simple as "It starts next week"?

Saying "A server-side update, rolling out soon." isn't just simple, it's starting to look simple-minded.

Since they are doing the mandatory updates for SL viewers right now, I think we are probably very close to the switch being flipped, perhaps in a week or two.  You should read Jessica Lyons blog post concerning all the issues involved with this. 

Just getting everyone ready is a massive undertaking.  There are more people on TPV's than on LL's and all these people need to get the word to upgrade.  Its going to take at least a week or so to accomplish and even then I'd bet every $L I've earned in the past several years that we will see oblivious people here on the forum the day the switch is flipped complaining about grey people.

I'd rather have them take the time to get it right than rush to release.  We all know it won't be bug free, it is LL after all.  But there will be a lot more bugs if they rush it out. If you really are on "tenterhooks" about this, you really should get a life.  It will be released when they think it is ready and until then the world will not end.

My avatar returns from the brief jaunt I sent her on in the space-time transporter she inherited from her eccentric scientist grandfather.

"You were RIGHT! In the parallel universe where Linden Lab gave a hard schedule for rolling out Server Side Appearance, the EXACT SAME PEOPLE were bawwwwwwing the EXACT SAME AMOUNT, only they were saying, 'Why is Linden Lab rushing to meet an artificial schedule instead of being flexible to allow the users and third-party-viewer developers to be ready?'"

" How did you KNOW?"

I just pat her on her head. "You'll know when you're older, Little Theresa - you'll know when you're older..."

As others have commented here, and I've covered via blog reports, LL are understandably being cautious in the SSB/A deployment. It's a fundamental (and highly visible, if something goes wrong) change to SL, and as such needs thorough testing of the kind which isn't available via Aditi (as there simply isn't the volume of avatars there to be representative of a genuine load / stress test on the composite service / servers).

Hence why the deployment - even if it is only a server-side configuration change, rather than a simulator code change - is being approached slowly. As it is, the initial "closed beta" testing on two "TPV-only" test regions on Agni has already revealed a potential issue people using a non-SSB/A enabled viewer may encounter when regions start being "switched over" to the new service (see SUN-74), and which I've also reported on.

The Lab have only just been made aware of this issue, so we've yet to see how it affects their thinking As the original plan was to initially switch a representative number of regions over to SSB/A for a more public stress-test prior to "flipping the switch" across the entire grid (or possibly scaling-up the number of regions which are SSB/A enabled gradually prior to finally "flipping the switch"), this issue would suggest the Lab will be looking at both it and plans very hard before they determine the best way forward.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3955 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.