SL VS IMVU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 minute ago, Drayke Newall said:

Not even close. Second life may be described as the first 3D sandbox virtual world, but most definitely was not the first virtual world simulation. That title goes to Habitat created in 1985 which if you want a more accurate description of what the game was, it is exactly like IMVU.

Second life did not launch the genre of VR (not to mention that Second Life being a program cant launch anything). VR has existed since the 1980's in one form or another.

Other than all that:

Necropost.jpg

Agree to disagree on that since most people know that SL was huge moment for VRs. I agree there's other out there before SL but when comes down to most usage and understanding I would give SL the credit.

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, DoctorKatherine1 said:

Agree to disagree on that since most people know that SL was huge moment for VRs. I agree there's other out there before SL but when comes down to most usage and understanding I would give SL the credit.

VR (Virtual reality) doesn't even exist in SL and generally other than the Firestorm fork doesn't still. A virtual world does not equal virtual reality. They are not the same. One, that being VR, involves a headset you wear and the other is a world that you can interact (chat) with people, your identity and the game world.

As far as what had more impact on virtual worlds, MUDS from the 1980's - 1990's had far more of an impact than SL ever could claim and had far more use. That is also why IMVU is popular as it is a basic chat virtual world program (an evolution to MUD's) of which the style has existed in one form or another for over 40 years and is far more popular even now than Second Life.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Drayke Newall said:

VR (Virtual reality) doesn't even exist in SL and generally other than the Firestorm fork doesn't still. A virtual world does not equal virtual reality. They are not the same. One, that being VR, involves a headset you wear and the other is a world that you can interact (chat) with people, your identity and the game world.

As far as what had more impact on virtual worlds, MUDS from the 1980's - 1990's had far more of an impact than SL ever could claim and had far more use. That is also why IMVU is popular as it is a basic chat virtual world program (an evolution to MUD's) of which the style has existed in one form or another for over 40 years and is far more popular even now than Second Life.

Virtual reality means virtual world to me since both take place in a virtual society, group, and place. Virtual worlds are being rebranded as virtual reality right and left anyways since they have same idea and purpose but only difference is due to physical form and identity interaction.  Both are within Virtual space -shugs- 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 2

10 minutes ago, DoctorKatherine1 said:

Virtual reality means virtual world to me since both take place in a virtual society, group, and place. Virtual worlds are being rebranded as virtual reality right and left anyways since they have same idea and purpose but only difference is due to physical form and identity interaction.  Both are within Virtual space -shugs- 

No that is not true and quoting a line verbatim from an article (5 key differences between virtual worlds and virtual reality – Hypergrid Business) from 2014 doesn't make it so. They are different and will never be rebranded as being the same. Virtual reality is in essence you being the person looking through their eyes, first person and immersive. A virtual world on the other hand is anything from text based client with a city scape background to a MMORPG like WoW to Second Life which offers very little immersion to constitute any form of reality.

In other words a virtual world is any created world that is hosted virtually. Virtually reality on the other hand has specific tick boxes that need to be met.

Edited by Drayke Newall

3 minutes ago, Drayke Newall said:

No that is not true and quoting a line verbatim from an article (5 key differences between virtual worlds and virtual reality – Hypergrid Business) from 2014 doesn't make it so. They are different and will never be rebranded as being the same. Virtual reality is in essence you being the person looking through their eyes, first person and immersive. A virtual world on the other hand is anything from text based client with a city scape background to a MMORPG like WoW to Second Life which offers very little immersion to constitute any form of reality.

more you know I guess. 

• 2 months later...
On 6/5/2016 at 8:58 PM, M1ssConduct said:

I am not impressed with IMVU Customer service.  Their customer service for customers is less than desirable.  They take money from Customers and then lock them out of their account in less than a month. I've spent $530.00 which is a fortune that was planned for a full year of use not just 28 days for my two avatars there for chat (for family and friends that are not on the same continent), credits, AP status and age verified for both of the avatars and I believe that they check it for being over 25 years of age; for both avatars I am name registered, VIP for a year, purchased chat, items and shared room.  I am still being denied access there and its been close to a week without service,   They have caused grief and loss of sleep by denying me as a customer with a secobd avatar.  I'm not sure why an establishment would sell items then deny the service.  Shame on their customer service.  I have been looking at SL it does have adult content and no extra fee other than for land.  I am so discusted with online IMVU chat that I don't even know that I want to even bother.  I am viewing the cost for the Linden dollar and it does not make sense I'm thiking its too expesive.  I really do not care for walking, creating landscape scenes etc, or flying around however I am saddened by the way I am being treated as an customer beining denied access to my avatars that have been fully set up with over 20 rooms between both of the avatars.  I am not sure how to get this rectified.  I was promised VIP chat however the vip chat does not work for bot avatars, nor I am getting help in customer service its like I am being talked over and spaining is going on - I'm discusted with IMVU and hope it gets resolved quickly.  I miss chating with my family and friends that I have made over the quick 28 days. 

The customer service for IMVU isn't really worth the hassle or VIP trust me I dealt with it when I was dealing with some issues that still don't get resolved today. Its Obvious the imvu chat staff are bots with little to no positive feedback on anything. The responses take longer or feel like its not even a real response. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I think IMVU is really just limited like today I found out I can actually race cars at various tracks, My account is from 2011 but really didn't start using SL until around mid 2018. I'm a full time SL user for about a year now and found out I can race just like in GTA and with imvu you couldn't even control the way the cars moved like you can here in SL. So much stuff I am learning about in the last few years makes it more fun!

Here is a pic of the car :P

Snapshot_004.jpg

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1061 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.