SL VS IMVU

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I am not impressed with IMVU Customer service.  Their customer service for customers is less than desirable.  They take money from Customers and then lock them out of their account in less than a month. I've spent $530.00 which is a fortune that was planned for a full year of use not just 28 days for my two avatars there for chat (for family and friends that are not on the same continent), credits, AP status and age verified for both of the avatars and I believe that they check it for being over 25 years of age; for both avatars I am name registered, VIP for a year, purchased chat, items and shared room.  I am still being denied access there and its been close to a week without service,   They have caused grief and loss of sleep by denying me as a customer with a secobd avatar.  I'm not sure why an establishment would sell items then deny the service.  Shame on their customer service.  I have been looking at SL it does have adult content and no extra fee other than for land.  I am so discusted with online IMVU chat that I don't even know that I want to even bother.  I am viewing the cost for the Linden dollar and it does not make sense I'm thiking its too expesive.  I really do not care for walking, creating landscape scenes etc, or flying around however I am saddened by the way I am being treated as an customer beining denied access to my avatars that have been fully set up with over 20 rooms between both of the avatars.  I am not sure how to get this rectified.  I was promised VIP chat however the vip chat does not work for bot avatars, nor I am getting help in customer service its like I am being talked over and spaining is going on - I'm discusted with IMVU and hope it gets resolved quickly.  I miss chating with my family and friends that I have made over the quick 28 days. 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

As a Pro creator on imvu, i can say that imvu and second life are not remotely similar nor close at all. Second life is a virtual reality 3D world, and IMVU is only a chat viewer, that is why you cannot walk around on IMVU and the rooms are all bought seperately, then like second life where you have to actually nonstop pay for land and renting and owning a sim.

In my opinion, second life is so much better then imvu, imvu is more towards the younger community while second life is targeted towards the adult community.

You can mesh and all of that but your shops stay inside the shop tab.

You cant have stores and all of that outside of shop.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I personally like Secondlife better. People on IMVU are either immature or anti-social. Imvu is a bit more limited when it comes to animation, you can't walk around or fly. But overall it's just the people on there that did it for me. I'm good with Imvu I will just stick with Secondlife. 

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

It's true that you can't walk around in imvu. I use both also. I like them equally the same. Imvu is neat as well because they give you credits or currency easier. Setcondlife is cool as well but its a little harder to get lindens. I don't mind either. As long as I can chat and interact. I like them the same. Please lay off on the vs idea. It too changed alot. This is just my opinion of both imvu and sl. Saying imvu is imature is a bit misIeading. I say it matured alot since I first signed up. Is not like I shooting down secondlife. I came back to see how much changed. Like imvu it changed alot since 2005. As long as I can still chat meet new people interact have fun. I am satisfied.

• 1 month later...

I've played IMVU before and from my experience having a good time on that game is all about running into interesting people to talk to. While on Second Life interesting people is a huge bonus as well, I can still easily entertain myself on Second Life for hours at a time all by my lonesome just by visiting different sims. 

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

I'm also on Imvu since high school then wasn't too bad i toke hiatus came back in 2008 boy everything went down hill couple of years just like today was talking to someone and asked if i was either boy or girl i asked him why gender imported to know? i tired get answer out of him he kept on on but not answering to question yea one problem with imvu lack of social and too nuts not lot good nuts. 

On 5/29/2013 at 3:48 AM, Christin73 said:

The other day I out of curiocity desided to download and try IMVU. It is quite diffrent yet seems similer in some respects. For instance on IMVU you don't buy or rent land. It is more skybox type setting. Walking and animaiton is also another diffrence. On IMVU you can't walk around freely or fly. Anyone else ever play around with IMVU and any other diffrences you have seen?

I am a developer there as well. They are a lot harsher with ratings, I have accumulated 52 warning plus one permanent ban which I reversed. I still remember my first ban was because I had a picture of cigarette butts on the ground. The community moderator back then (starts with V ends with a) also wasn't a fan of me and handed me a permanent forum ban for asking why the music store allows songs about smoking weed to be listed as general and everyone else gets banned (back then cannabis was not illegal on imvu, now it is under adult)

One advantage is that it has a derive chain system, so imagine if you sell a full perm you will get a cut for every sale the reseller makes. Very sweet, but people also pay a lot less there. What is considered "expensive" is 1000 cr which rounds to...50 US cents or 125L$

But it also means if you are a mesher, you will be sitting on autocash goldmine. I have not uploaded to imvu in two years and it still pumps out well over $20 USD a day for me since I made quite a few meshes. 

Edited by iamyourneighbour
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a long history with IMVU and virtual worlds in general.

It was officially released in 2004 as an add-on for IM software such as AIM and it was created by Will Harvey of Makena Technologies fame (He made There.com, another virtual world). I signed up for IMVU in 2006 but only started using it in 2008. It is not a virtual world, it is a chat program first and foremost. The customisation has always been great on IMVU since users create items just like in SL. Anshe Chung was big on IMVU too and I used to buy her rooms there.

I had some great moments on there, but that's because people were more active and sociable then. Nowadays all you see are AFK avatars or people who are rude/boring (being honest here). They don't try to start a conversation and just hang out in cliques (they existed before but weren't as bad).

The software itself hasn't evolved much over the years, website included. The website has been mostly unchanged since it launched, and whilst IMVU had an interface revamp circa 2009, there haven't been many significant changes since then.

I still go there from time to time just to play dress up, and leave very soon, because it is boring without any friends. I showed IMVU and SL to 2 friends I recently made and they liked both.

Edited by LennoxGregor

• 4 weeks later...

personally imvu was really good back in 2010 - 2014. however since the mobile phone app came out its not considered a game by underage minors who lie about their real life age to be close to adults which is dangerous. not to mention the bullies, trolls and the kink shaming of those in the BDSM lifestyle. it seems like a lot of the role-players on imvu have come here to SL because imvu is very limited. example access pass you can't have erect private parts just limp ones. however on SL they allow erect private parts and many things that imvu considers against the TOS. i had my rooms flagged and removed because the content was too sexual and had to be removed. so i have become quite attached to SL more because everyone is nice and won't kink shame me for having a dirty creative mind. and be all mature about it. people on there say ewwww thats gross your mind is messed up kind of crap. a lot of people on imvu do not respect the roleplayers anymore.

1 hour ago, Syo Emerald said:

The first time I saw something from IMVU everyone looked like some emo teenagers idea of fashionable.

They still do that too. The avatars always reminded me of Bratz dolls, no matter which style they chose. I’m always on the fence about how the avatars look because I used to play with Bratz Dolls.

Nostalgia makes me think their Avis are cute. Adult me says “God those dolls were ugly!”

42D97ECA-6D0A-4DB5-A906-20CD7DDB2170.jpeg

• Haha 2
  • Confused 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/28/2013 at 1:48 PM, Christin73 said:

The other day I out of curiocity desided to download and try IMVU. It is quite diffrent yet seems similer in some respects. For instance on IMVU you don't buy or rent land. It is more skybox type setting. Walking and animaiton is also another diffrence. On IMVU you can't walk around freely or fly. Anyone else ever play around with IMVU and any other diffrences you have seen?

I started by IMVU many years ago. The difference was 225 virus. After DLed and installed it, my anti virus warned me about 225 virus then the next step was uninstall. That my IMVU experience.

On 11/19/2018 at 2:44 PM, janetosilio said:

They still do that too. The avatars always reminded me of Bratz dolls, no matter which style they chose. I’m always on the fence about how the avatars look because I used to play with Bratz Dolls.

Nostalgia makes me think their Avis are cute. Adult me says “God those dolls were ugly!”

42D97ECA-6D0A-4DB5-A906-20CD7DDB2170.jpeg

They have this weird HUGE head thing going on, but on the other hand they also have a MASSIVE BODY tiny head thing going on too, specially for guys.
hqdefault.jpg

This one I fetched from google, but I can't say much because I seen a girl with those weird proportions not long ago in SL. And they have been stealing a lot of SL content into there but there is still a huge gap between SL's quality and IMVU's.

5 hours ago, Sylvannas Zulaman said:

They have this weird HUGE head thing going on, but on the other hand they also have a MASSIVE BODY tiny head thing going on too, specially for guys.
hqdefault.jpg

This one I fetched from google, but I can't say much because I seen a girl with those weird proportions not long ago in SL. And they have been stealing a lot of SL content into there but there is still a huge gap between SL's quality and IMVU's.

A lot of people from IMVU come to SL and do IMVU type things. 

Like stand around in a static pose.

Little head, Big body

Big head, little body

Tiny hands and feet

I’ve bumped into a couple of transplants and a few of them have said the graphics on IMVU are better. My response was always “Whatever you’re smoking, pass dat.”

Edited by janetosilio
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

• 4 months later...

i have been on IMVU for almost nine years but everything has gone downhill. barely any roleplayers or nice people. i keep on losing friends over haters that hate me over stupid drama they did to themselves. i am currently on a somewhat of a haitus until the blocking issue on imvu is completely redone. my rooms keep on getting flagged and taken down with the same robot stuff from imvu live staff. discussions do not help. they took down the old forums that helped us users when discussions dont help out.

TBH i can see IMVU being shut down within a few years because they cater to teenagers and not us adults anymore.

• 1 year later...

I consider IMVU a rip off to Second life because its looks and ideas are similar to SL. 

I personally never been on IMVU but I seen videos of it and doesn't seem entertaining at all plus have sortof limitation on what you can or can not do unlike second life where you can do whatever unless you have pay for it which is only downside of second life there is. Other thing is that Second is consider the first virtual world simulation waayyy before any "games" or VR stuff came into play and was massively a huge hit for it's time. I don't get why second life get the credit when it's due since they, second life, launch the genre of VR. But Second life I would say is better due to experience and connections I made which I consider it my second go-to home.  

Edited by DoctorKatherine1

53 minutes ago, DoctorKatherine1 said:

Other thing is that Second is consider the first virtual world simulation waayyy before any "games" or VR stuff came into play and was massively a huge hit for it's time.

Not even close. Second life may be described as the first 3D sandbox virtual world (not even 100% sure on that), but most definitely was not the first virtual world simulation. That title goes to Habitat created in 1985 which if you want a more accurate description of what the game was, it is exactly like IMVU.

I don't get why second life get the credit when it's due since they, second life, launch the genre of VR. But Second life I would say is better due to experience and connections I made which I consider it my second go-to home.  

Second life did not launch the genre of VR (not to mention that Second Life being a program cant launch anything). VR has existed since the 1980's in one form or another.

Other than all that:

Necropost.jpg

Edited by Drayke Newall
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1039 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.