Made someone owner in my group by mistake

Skittles Lollipop

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have a public group and when new people join it, I give them access to several group titles. The other day someone joined, and I accidentally clicked the Owner box and made them an owner before I realized what I had done.  I have sent them an IM explaining my error and asking them to leave the group and I'll reinvite them back as a general member, but they have not cooperated or replied.  Their profile has photos that seriously violate TOS and I don't want people thinking that is my alt or that I condone that sort of thing since they are showing up as an owner in my group.  Since you can't call Second Life support anymore, how the heck am I to get this resolved?  I want that person removed from my group because I cannot kick them out. :(   Grrrr

6 answers to this question

Just as you said it yourself, there is no way you can kick that person out now that you made him an owner. In other words, you are stuck, unless you eject all the other members (send them a notecard explaining why), leave the group yourself and let this person the only one left in the group. Once he remains the only member, the group will be disbanded after 48 hours. That is, if HE does not invite other persons... In this case, there is nothing you can do. :smileysad: And btw, even if you could contact LL support about that, this is not a matter where they would interfere.

If that guy invites other people, the group will go on. A possible way to avoid this person would be to create a new group, invite the members you want to keep in touch with. But of course, that means starting over the whole thing from the scratch... 

Sorry about your issue Skittles, and wishing you the best of luck. 

• Like 1

Welcome to Second Life Answers, Skittles.

Yeouch!

You want that person removed from your group, and normally Linden Lab wouldn't get involved, but if the person does not respond to your request to leave the group, and their profile violates ToS, you will have to submit an abuse report to LL about this, and at least have them tame their profile so it does not reflect on you.

Also, I would still submit a support ticket to Linden Lab.  Be brief, and precise about the problem, as you have been in your post here on the forums, and maybe Linden Lab will be able to consider taking some action, or offer you some advice.

Nothing is ever set in stone, not even Linden Lab's own rules, and much depends on who deals with your enquiries/problems.

Wishing you luck.

• Like 1

I think the hundreds of group members would not like to see this happen :( It's a shame there is no customer support anymore. I guess I'll wait and see if this person starts any trouble... given the nature of their profile and the fact that they are spamming groups left and right trying to get people to buy their photos of them doing things I cannot discuss in the forum, but definitely against TOS and the law... I hope they get enough complaints that they will yank their account. But seeing some of the things I've seen go on over the years, even that is doubtful.

I see the profile of the avatar you speak of - RL image of beastiality is worthy of an inworld abuse report - daily until it gets changed/remove. Also, as its kind of a technical problem - in that your trigger finger made you accidentally give this person group owner status - you could give Live Chat a buzz, ask them for advice. It does not seem fair that you, as the founder member, cannot have the right to change the status of anyone within your group.

• Like 1

In a way your account has been compromised, although if you submit a support ticket under this category, then LL will temporarily freeze your account and then ask you to send ID verification in. BUT as this person has been accidentally made an owner of the group, they have the potential to cause mayhem. I would still try and contact Support about this - there must be something they can do with their god powers.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3985 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.