Animating an object using Blender .bvh

Gakkor

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

After a bit of tinkering I've hit a brick wall so to speak. IT appears to me that when I upload a mesh to Second Life, that it considers the mesh a solid, unmoving, unbending, unwavering object. Like a shaped piece of rock. What I have been attempting to do is to make an animation file using my object in Blender and exporting the movement points to SL.

Problem: It appears that SL imports for animations only seem to work when importing animations for Avatars.

Question: Am I correct in thinking this?

Future: I want to find a way to force Second Life to move mesh models as though they were made of rubber instead. I don't want to link a bunch of prims together to simulate movement. This results in choppy objects and ugly "creatures" developed by other people. Objects with fine joints look horrible as they are animated due to the lack of stretching on the joints. Is anyone else working on a way around this, or have I lacked on my research?

Gakkor wrote:

Problem: It appears that SL imports for animations only seem to work when importing animations for Avatars.

Question: Am I correct in thinking this?

Yes, you're correct. The .bvh file is only used to position armatures and SL only supports rigged mesh armatures for avatars at this time (somewhere down the pipeline they may plan otherwise, but it won't be anytime soon).

Future: I want to find a way to force Second Life to move mesh models as though they were made of rubber instead. I don't want to link a bunch of prims together to simulate movement. This results in choppy objects and ugly "creatures" developed by other people. Objects with fine joints look horrible as they are animated due to the lack of stretching on the joints. Is anyone else working on a way around this, or have I lacked on my research?

I don't believe there's a work around for this other than the usual "now you see it, now you don't" texture hack and prim puppet scripts. Sorry, that's just the limitation of SL currently. But if you did find such, many of us would be delighted to know!

[Thinking out loud here: One can make and rig almost any sort of avatar as long as one is using the default SL skeleton and a robot can be progrmmed to react in many different ways. hmmm....]

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.