Sign in to follow this  
Aislin Ceawlin

Had to end it to save my SL!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Okay, I met this guy at a business he owns. At first he seemed friendly enough, and we occasionally (repeat OCCASIONALLY) chatted. Neither of us was interested in the other in a romantic way, strictly platonic. After a while I mentioned that I would really like to open a photography studio. I am working on a RL degree in photography and had a pretty intense couple of classes on photoshop, and thought it might be a fun way to make some extra spending Lindens. He mentioned that if I were willing to join his group and donate my 512m to the group that I could have a spot for my studio on his sim tier free. Seemed like an awesome idea at the time, so I did. Set up my studio, got things rolling, and all seemed well in the world. Next thing I know, he wants me to do some pics of his "pet" as her dream is to be an SL model. I think to myself "A couple pics, no problem." About this time I notice that the second I log in I am blasted by IM after IM from him, as if I have absolutely nothing better to do the ENTIRE time I'm on.My email box was filling with offline messages from him.  I tried "hiding", to no avail. He could see I was online through the group, and would "ping" me as he called it and ask that I recheck the box so he could see I was online. OH, before I get too far earlier in the friendship he gave me a folder of couples poses for photography because he said I could use it more than he could. So, now I cannot hide from him, I try telling him I have other things to do, I try every tactful measure i can think of. NOW, I see he has built a photo gallery next to my studio dedicated to his "pet" and expects ME to fill it (no charge of course). I finally did what I felt I had to do, I wrote him an IM explaining how I felt, asked that there be no hard feelings, and unfriended him. I unrezzed my shop, quit the group, and took back my 512m. I then get several more messages about taking down the studio, unfriending him, etc....ad nauseum.....he also stated he wanted the folder of poses back, which I felt was a gift, with no strings.  I hve no idea why I'm posting this other than to just vent.... OH, and towards the end, he also stated that I was going to have to join his "vampire group" (bloodlines" and swear feilty to him.....NOT!

Been there... you did the right thing. i think the final step I would take in your shoes would be to put him on ignore so you won't be hounded anymore at all. Some people have control issues and do not understand boundaries. You'll be happier without him in your sl life. *hugs*

Unfortunate experience, indeed.  Seems that you did not know this individual very well before you, in effect, went into business with him.  I doubt that you will make this mistake next time.

Sounds like he has real control issues.  Drop him from your friends list, delete his calling card and block him.  As for the poses, they were a gift so you have no obligatoin to return them unless you choose to do so. 

WOW!  Block him, delete him, and anything else you can think of!  Oh and don't give back anything!  Consider it a gift!

Peace!

:matte-motes-big-grin: Thanks so much for your replies! You have made me feel better about the whole thing. The only thing left to do is delete his calling card and block him completely, ((((((HUGS))))))

Aislin, I didn't comment about your situation but I did read your post and I especially liked your comment about not even knowing why you posted it except to vent. Sometimes venting is a good thing! I hope it helped clear your personal air a bit. The guy sounds like an absolute basket case, but clearly you had that figured out before you got here.:smileyhappy:

The good thing is you haven't lost anything except what you thought was a great spot to build your studio, but turned out to be something else entirely—talk about bait and switch! Okay, that's one of the good things. The other good thing is that you clearly have a sense of humor so vibrant you even managed to get a couple of smiles generated in your vent.

The very best of things from now on. I wish everyone could vent as well as you can.

Dillon, thank you so much! Your reply really raised my spirits! I've always said the one thing in life I absolutely cannot live without is laughter! It has always been a big help for me to be able to put my thoughts to (cough...ermmm) paper? lol! Thanks again! :matte-motes-wink-tongue:

As you become better and better in what you do in your SL, there will be more people like that; who think you have noone else in your SL besides them, and nothing else to do, who gift you "my first creation try" (which you feel kinda bad to delete the same sec) and expect you to spend hours and days returning the gift in a form of your awesome work, who offer to model for free if you ever want to practice on them (like you don't have your own avi lol) and who, in general, see you have some quality and of course want a part of that. 

I could name tons of examples but this thread is your rant so I will just say you did a right thing and wish you luck in your future SL:)

Thanks Sephina! I only wish that avie was mine, though...lol! Below is one I wanted to post, but had to go to other laptop to post, this is my avie, and the type of photos I really enjoy doing.

Tempura_046 modified.jpg

Thanks, I agree. That's the kind of work that makes me the most happy, but yah gotta give em what they want sometimes....ughhh...lol!

Aislin Ceawlin wrote:

Okay, I met this guy at a business he owns. At first he seemed friendly enough, and we occasionally (repeat OCCASIONALLY) chatted. Neither of us was interested in the other in a romantic way, strictly platonic. After a while I mentioned that I would really like to open a photography studio. I am working on a RL degree in photography and had a pretty intense couple of classes on photoshop, and thought it might be a fun way to make some extra spending Lindens. He mentioned that if I were willing to join his group and donate my 512m to the group that I could have a spot for my studio on his sim tier free. Seemed like an awesome idea at the time, so I did. Set up my studio, got things rolling, and all seemed well in the world. Next thing I know, he wants me to do some pics of his "pet" as her dream is to be an SL model. I think to myself "A couple pics, no problem." About this time I notice that the second I log in I am blasted by IM after IM from him, as if I have absolutely nothing better to do the ENTIRE time I'm on.My email box was filling with offline messages from him.  I tried "hiding", to no avail. He could see I was online through the group, and would "ping" me as he called it and ask that I recheck the box so he could see I was online. OH, before I get too far earlier in the friendship he gave me a folder of couples poses for photography because he said I could use it more than he could. So, now I cannot hide from him, I try telling him I have other things to do, I try every tactful measure i can think of. NOW, I see he has built a photo gallery next to my studio dedicated to his "pet" and expects ME to fill it (no charge of course). I finally did what I felt I had to do, I wrote him an IM explaining how I felt, asked that there be no hard feelings, and unfriended him. I unrezzed my shop, quit the group, and took back my 512m. I then get several more messages about taking down the studio, unfriending him, etc....ad nauseum.....he also stated he wanted the folder of poses back, which I felt was a gift, with no strings.  I hve no idea why I'm posting this other than to just vent.... OH, and towards the end, he also stated that I was going to have to join his "vampire group" (bloodlines" and swear feilty to him.....NOT!

Wow, you definitely did the right thing.

I put myself in your place for 30 seconds and felt overwhelmed by the burdens he was placing upon you.

Maybe he'll see just how annoying he was and .. scale it back in the future so it doesn't happen again?  :/

... yeah, I doubt it too, but it seemed like a nice thought haha.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2553 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.