Sign in to follow this  
mgjackson

Love hearts on the World Map

Hi,

Silly question but what do those red love hearts on a black background appearing on the World Map mean?

Also, where do they come from - I thought the WM was minaturised snap shop of each of the regions.

Thanks,

Matthew

There's a real estate company that's buying up large amounts of Mainland. The red heart is their symbol - it's graphics on a huge prim. You can show graphics instead of the ground if you place objects below a certain height above the land (somewhere between 300 - 500 meters, I think. )

The World Map is a "satellite view" (snapshot) taken from a height if I recall correctly of 300 meters.  These snapshots are refreshed every few days. 

That is a particular SL business trade mark.  As you pan around on the map you will find many places have their names on their roof tops or intentionally rez prims like this to call attention to themselves.

They do suck in that they can obscure the ground itself.

Some of them are very obnoxious.

Found it:

"Note: Only objects lower than 400 meters on the Z-coordinate (vertical) plane appear on the World Map."

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/World-Map-and-Mini-Map/ta-p/700163

Somewhere in the Wiki it says how frequently new snapshots are taken but can't find it ATM.  I believe it wa at least weekly.

Perrie Juran wrote:

Yeah.  Those whole sim covering megaprims do disservice in two areas:

• As they cover the whole region it is impossible to see is there sailing route on that region.

• When we have the shadows on the region wide megaprim casts a huge shadow on the ground.  Thus around noon hours the whole region is under that huge shadow.  It's only possible to see shadows cast by other objects when the sun is low (i.e. morning hours and afternoon hours).

It's really a pity that Linden Lab allows world map to be used as some advertizing board.  :smileymad:

Those hearts are sim-size and I assume they own the whole sims. If they don't own absolutely all of a sim, they are not allowed to but sim-sized prims up. I.e. placing objects that encroach on or over other people's land is not allowed.

map.jpg

Phil Deakins wrote:

Those hearts are sim-size and I assume they own the whole sims. If they don't own absolutely all of a sim, they are not allowed to but sim-sized prims up. I.e. placing objects that encroach on or over other people's land is not allowed.

Not all of them are SIM sized.  But many are.

Coby Foden wrote:

Perrie Juran wrote:

Yeah.  Those whole sim covering megaprims do disservice in two areas:

• As they cover the whole region it is impossible to see is there sailing route on that region.

• When we have the shadows on the region wide megaprim casts a huge shadow on the ground.  Thus around noon hours the whole region is under that huge shadow.  It's only possible to see shadows cast by other objects when the sun is low (i.e. morning hours and afternoon hours).

It's really a pity that Linden Lab allows world map to be used as some advertizing board.  :smileymad:

I agree with you  My  get-away house for sailing is ocean front on the Blake Sea.  The sim behind the sim we're on is owned by that company.  Luckily we're on the far edge of the sim from them and the shadow that huge prim casts never gets to us.

That particular company doesn't care though because nothing is on the ground except a few trees on most of their sims, although some of their sims on the blake sea have rentals right on the ocean front  Most of their rentals are stacked above the sim on platforms.  Each rental usually has a sim sized platform with mountains around it some trees and a furnished house.  Basically they use the prim equivalent of a 4096sqm lot for each rental unit and stack them in the air every few hundred meters starting above 400m so you can't see them on the map.  The one behind me has a large pier on the waterfront which I assume all the tenants can use to launch their boats.  They advertise you can get a sim sized rental cheap, but since none of their rentals are on separate lots you are pretty restricted with what you can do. 

They have completely blocked the 2 Sims next to me with orbs you can't fly or sail through. I asked him nice once to let boats by, but he refused. Rather rudely stating that he could do what ever he liked. So, his tenants have access to the upper Blake and all others get orbed and kicked out. I as a land owner would think the ambiance of boats sailing by would be an attraction to renters. Who knows. He's not making any friends by blocking water and sky over his properties. Don't know why LL allows him to block the waterway. Very sad indeed. :smileysad:

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

They have completely blocked the 2 Sims next to me with orbs you can't fly or sail through. I asked him nice once to let boats by, but he refused. Rather rudely stating that he could do what ever he liked. So, his tenants have access to the upper Blake and all others get orbed and kicked out. I as a land owner would think the ambiance of boats sailing by would be an attraction to renters. Who knows. He's not making any friends by blocking water and sky over his properties. Don't know why LL allows him to block the waterway. Very sad indeed. :smileysad:

Unless LL owns a water sim between his two sims he does have a right to block boats from entering his sims even if it blocks the waterway.  It is rude of him though and it makes him a bad neighbor.  He could cut out a lot representing a channel through his water and allow object entry, but not rezzing, to allow boats through while keeping the rest of his sims private.

This is one reason IMO that LL should have a basic covenant on the mainland sims covering a few simple things like this to better the community as a whole.

Yes, I see (that they aren't all sim-size). Still, the same answer applies - the owner is only allowed to put those prims up if he owns all of the land below them.

My understanding is that many of them are 'stacked', sim-size pseudo-parcels floating at high altitude (though the logo is much lower altitude). They are indeed owned by a renting company. The idea is that renters get the entire sim of space/visual, but a massively reduced prim limit in order to allow the stacking process to work. Of course this means they don't get anything but automated (and shared) access to parcel media, ban lists, etc.

Kinda a novel idea, I reckon. SL isn't built for it to work as well as the 'lateral parcels' method, but there's no technical reason why it shouldn't be more compatible with this style of sim use.

LL should have secured land for sailable water just as they did for mainland roads.

Oh, they have. In fact there are many Protected Waterways nowadays. After they messed up  the grid in their heydays by selling land up to the last corner of the grid they seem to have noticed now that it wasn't the best idea and trying their best to keep certain waterways open. Often it's visible in world and minimap, and once you're on such a channel you can see it in the land description above your screen.

Also particularly helpful when navigating mainland waters or flight routes is a Ban Line and Full Parcel Hud.

Yes you could easily sail through this. He wouldn't have to change a thing. He would just have to turn off the orb :/ And yes they are stacked. This is up by the top of Nautilus I think it is and there is protected water in front of me that leads to the continent that is where the Hangout is. I forgot the name. But you used to be able to fly or sail from blake to the upper continent.

I agree LL needs to have some sort of covenant for the waters :(

Snapshot _ Oleg rental property, Oleg (6, 24, 21) - Moderate.png

oleg map.PNG

I left this out of my reply to the thread as it wasn't relevant, but I highly disagree with your statement that LL needs a covenant for the waterways. I'm not sure what you're agreeing with in my post.

The landowner pays for land, they can do whatever they like with it. The demands of sailors using the waterways for free doesn't interest me, it's the same as anywhere else in SL.

Freya Mokusei wrote:

I left this out of my reply to the thread as it wasn't relevant, but I highly disagree with your statement that LL needs a covenant for the waterways. I'm not sure what you're agreeing with in my post.

The landowner pays for land, they can do whatever they like with it. The demands of sailors using the waterways for free doesn't interest me, it's the same as anywhere else in SL.

good point, who pays makes the rules, so if sailers want more protected waterways they should ask LL to protect them as soon as parcels get abandoned.

Not sure if they will but doesn't hurt to ask.

pardon, I pressed the wrong reply button. I was not replying to your comment. Sorry bout that. And I'm fully aware that he has every right to do what he wants with his land including blocking everyone off of it.  Thank you so much.

Jacki Silverfall wrote:

And I'm fully aware that he has every right to do what he wants with his land including blocking everyone off of it.  Thank you so much.

This is plain silly thing to do by Linden Lab.  First they put two water regions connecting two continents available for everyone to make interesting very long sailing trips.  Then they sell them to somebody "Welcome!  Do what ever you wish with these regions.  Even block the waterway we made, if you so wish."  Sure there are lots of other places available for sailing, but that particular route was very interesting one.  Grrr...

:smileyindifferent:   :smileysad:

I think what LL counted on when selling entire regions with waterways was having good neighborly people buy it. Ha! Welcome to Second Life.

LL should be fixing this problem when land is abandoned. Obviously they can't do anything now about it.