2 Separate accounts - On 1 computer

DADakota

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

3 answers to this question

At the same time, so you'll be sharing the keyboard? :P

I mean, if you really want both avatars logged in at the same time, you can do this. Most Third Party Viewers have a 'Multiple Instances' toggle control in Preferences, at a heavy cost to your rendering ability. If you don't have an especially new computer you will likely struggle to stay online with two accounts at once. Note though that you can only log into the website (including the SL Marketplace) under one account per browser.

You don't need to be logged in to your account all the time obviously, you can change the username and password in the viewer before clicking Login, to log in a different account. I would recommend using different Email addresses per account, in order to keep offline IMs and other Emailed notifications separate. You would sign up each account separately. If you both choose to use different viewers, you should assign different caching locations to prevent fragmentation and cache damage.

It's against the SL Terms of Service to share a single account, or inform others of your account password. It would be inadvisable to accidentally log in as each other, share passwords between accounts, or anything else that might get you into trouble.

• Like 1

Yes, it's fairly simple. The SL Viewer has a setting to allow multiple instances to run concurrently.

It's found at : Me > Preferences > Advanced, and check "Allow Multiple Viewers"

Launch SL, with your avatar logged in.

Launch it again, and log in as her.

You'll now have two windows on the screen, one for each of you. Click the mouse on the one that you want to have active, and that person can use the mouse and keyboard. Click on the other window and pass the keyboard, and it's their turn. You can't both be typing or moving at the same instant, but on your 'turn' either of you can go wherever you want and do whatever you want. You can be playing in completely different sims, or be in the same room appearing to interact with each other and anyone else that is nearby.

This is also how one person can run multiple alt accounts concurrently, with only a single computer.

Voice Chat can't work this way, the last time I checked, the first window could use Voice, but the second can not.

Note also that this doubles the graphics load on your system. If your computer is slow already when using Sl, trying to run two viewers at once could slow it down a lot more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3987 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.