What is the current rule about multiple accounts?

gostmari

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

There are two other people who enjoy SL in my house, and I was wondering what the current rule on accounts are?

When I first joined many years ago, the rules said you could only have one account per household, and I feel really uncomfortable sharing an account with someone, let alone two people. I have friends and roleplays on here and I'm pretty sure other people would start to get annoyed if it was a shared account.

Today I found a thread via Google that said that you can have one personal account per household on one email, but up to four alternative accounts that you're not supposed to use for regular things, only scripting or building etc.

But then there are people who say they have more than five accounts they use for regular purposes and they've never been warned or banned for it.

Would it be okay to have 2 other users with their own accounts if they used a different email address, or would we have to share?

EDIT: Thanks, but I'm still confused as to whether the others could use their accounts as normal, or would the accounts be treated in the same way as alts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 answers to this question

Linden Lab Official:Alt account policies

You can have up to five accounts per household, sharing or not sharing e-mail. This is remarkable, as LL talks about additional costs for an "army of alts".

and Linden Lab Official: Sharing or transferring Second Life accounts

I would be very careful with sharing accounts, like the article says, you'll be responsible if others use your account in ways not allowed by LL.

EDIT

Can someone please show the section of the ToS that forbids sharing accounts? I can't find it at all. I CAN find what I posted above, which tells me it's prefectly fine by LL to share, but it's at the original account holder's risk.

@OP

Your room- or housemates have to tell LL the truth when handing over RL data such as name and date of birth. As far as I can see, this means their accounts will not be seen as alts of your account. They are accounts in the same household, so all of you combined shouldn't have more than 5 accounts. Whether this includes alts or not is a mystery to me as well to be honest.

• Like 1

You are NOT allowed to "share" an account in the context you are saying, that in itself is a bannable offense *sharing account password". If there are people in your house who play SL they can have their own account. I am not sure what you mean by "will they be treated as alts", an account is an account they have no such labels as being an alt or not, they will all function the same.

• Like 1

gostmari wrote:

Today I found a thread via Google that said that you can have one personal account per household on one email, but up to four alternative accounts that you're not supposed to use for regular things, only scripting or building etc.

But then there are people who say they have more than five accounts they use for regular purposes and they've never been warned or banned for it.

EDIT: Thanks, but I'm still confused as to whether the others could use their accounts as normal, or would the accounts be treated in the same way as alts?

To answer those specific concerns I quoted, alts can do whatever a "regular" account can do, they are not restricted to scripting or building. This Google thread you found is wrong. 

Alt or not, each account is considered as an entirely independent entity and can behave just as the main accounts do. They can buy things, rent land, TP wherever they please (depending on their maturity rating of course), dance, partner (and divorce!), and even have payment info on file or be Premium. There is no restriction on alts's activities in SL as long as they comply with the ToS. :smileyhappy:

• Like 4

The restriction is 5 accounts per IIP address, which has always struck me as rather unenforceable, to say nothing of unrealistic.  If I had to guess -- and I do, because nobody knows what goes on in the corporate boardroom at Linden Lab -- I'd say that Linden Lab is trying to make it easier to ban griefers.  Restricting the number of accounts per IP address means that there's less chance of accidentally banning 25 good guys when they only meant to ban one bad guy.  By tellingl you that you can't have more than 5 accounts per IP address, they're hoping to nail 5 guys at most -- and probably just one guy with 5 accounts.  Thing is,  it's not unreasonable to think that there could be way more than 5 accounts in a single fraternity house or college residence hall.  It's impractical to try and prevent that, so the most LL can do is to discourage individuals from making it worse by having dozens of alts each.  That's my guess anyway.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3963 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.