Jump to content

Do gay/bi women outnumber straight women in SL?


You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Recommended Posts


Tex Monday wrote:


Kenbro Utu wrote:


Orca Flotta wrote:

One of my friends is a gorgeous girl ... with a bulge in her panties. She's played by a RL male (d'uh) and totally open about her RL gender and SL trans. Nevertheless all of us are referring to him as "her" since the face and bewb value is so overwhelming in SL.

knew 
an 
avatar
,
or 
rather 
an 
avatar 
couple
,
early 
on 
in 
SL 
who 
were 
controlled 
by 
single 
male 
in 
RL
.  
He 
would 
log 
them 
in 
separately
,
or 
many 
times 
at 
the 
same 
time
,
and 
when 
togethe r
they 
would 
interact 
as 
couple
.  
There 
were 
only 
about 
of 
us 
in 
the 
group 
of 
friends 
who 
knew 
they 
were 
one 
in 
the 
same 
person
,
but 
still 
they 
each 
had 
different 
personalities 
and 
you 
could 
not 
help but
 
react 
differently 
to 
each 
accordingly
.  
It 
was
,
however
,
very 
odd 
and 
weirdly 
funny 
to 
watch 
the c
ouple
"
perform
"
for 
others 
who 
were 
completely 
unaware 
of 
the 
ruse
.  

 

Edit: Wow, the forum ate all my spaces when it posted... it was almost one big long word.

I've tried to do that, but sadly, I can only carry on meaningful conversations with myself in RL. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

This "couple" was eerily adept in doing so.  It was as if they were 2 different people.  If they happened to tp in at the same time even the inner group in the know would greet each separately.  Not sure if they had slex together :smileysurprised: It's not the strangest thing I have seen in SL, but it's in the top 10 on my list.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not directly, but since cutting my hair short and getting deep into home remodeling, I have been called "sir" by more than one person. I'd open my shirt and show 'em my boobs, but that wouldn't h

sams Byron wrote: This is just my personal observation. I've noticed the various club venues I've visited tend to have a fairly very high ratio of female avatars declaring themselves as bisexual

I don't think they're supposed to be able to talk.

Posted Images


Kenbro Utu wrote:


Tex Monday wrote:


Kenbro Utu wrote:


Orca Flotta wrote:

One of my friends is a gorgeous girl ... with a bulge in her panties. She's played by a RL male (d'uh) and totally open about her RL gender and SL trans. Nevertheless all of us are referring to him as "her" since the face and bewb value is so overwhelming in SL.

knew 
an 
avatar
,
or 
rather 
an 
avatar 
couple
,
early 
on 
in 
SL 
who 
were 
controlled 
by 
single 
male 
in 
RL
.  
He 
would 
log 
them 
in 
separately
,
or 
many 
times 
at 
the 
same 
time
,
and 
when 
togethe r
they 
would 
interact 
as 
couple
.  
There 
were 
only 
about 
of 
us 
in 
the 
group 
of 
friends 
who 
knew 
they 
were 
one 
in 
the 
same 
person
,
but 
still 
they 
each 
had 
different 
personalities 
and 
you 
could 
not 
help but
 
react 
differently 
to 
each 
accordingly
.  
It 
was
,
however
,
very 
odd 
and 
weirdly 
funny 
to 
watch 
the c
ouple
"
perform
"
for 
others 
who 
were 
completely 
unaware 
of 
the 
ruse
.  

 

Edit: Wow, the forum ate all my spaces when it posted... it was almost one big long word.

I've tried to do that, but sadly, I can only carry on meaningful conversations with myself in RL. :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

This "couple" was eerily adept in doing so.  It was as if they were 2 different people.  If they happened to tp in at the same time even the inner group in the know would greet each separately.  Not sure if they had slex together :smileysurprised: It's not the strangest thing I have seen in SL, but it's in the top 10 on my list.  :matte-motes-big-grin:

Snugs and Maddy are partnered. That they are alts is mentioned in each's profile. The have the same skin, shape and hair (though in different colors). I've logged both into get-togethers with friends and each have been greeted and treated individually. Everybody is fully aware there's only one of me driving both avatars,  but they all seem happy enough to treat them differently, though I make no (conscious?) effort to distinguish them behaviorally. Although my friends don't seem to think it's eerie in-world, I've been told by forumites that having both Maddy and Snugs here feels icky.

So I wonder, was the person you mention really adept at portraying two characters, or is there a tendency for that to fly well in SL for other reasons?

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Snugs and Maddy are partnered. That they are alts is mentioned in each's profile. The have the same skin, shape and hair (though in different colors). 
I've logged both into get-togethers with friends and each have been greeted and treated individually. Everybody is fully aware there's only one of me driving both avatars,  but they all seem happy enough to treat them differently, though I make no (conscious?) effort to distinguish them behaviorally.
Although my friends don't seem to think it's eerie in-world, I've been told by forumites that having both Maddy and Snugs here feels icky.

So I wonder, was the person you mention really adept at portraying two characters,
or is there a tendency for that to fly well in SL for other reasons?

 

 

 

I think the latter: there is a tendency in SL for all of us to assume every avatar is a unique person. In spite of the fact we know that the same pair of hands is typing what we hear from you and Snugs, we still react to you both as individuals. That seems to work for both of you, it definitely works for me. 

By the way, I never thought Snugs was icky.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Snugs and Maddy are partnered. That they are alts is mentioned in each's profile. The have the same skin, shape and hair (though in different colors). 
I've logged both into get-togethers with friends and each have been greeted and treated individually. Everybody is fully aware there's only one of me driving both avatars,  but they all seem happy enough to treat them differently, though I make no (conscious?) effort to distinguish them behaviorally.
Although my friends don't seem to think it's eerie in-world, I've been told by forumites that having both Maddy and Snugs here feels icky.

So I wonder, was the person you mention really adept at portraying two characters,
or is there a tendency for that to fly well in SL for other reasons?

 

 

 

I think the latter: there is a tendency in SL for all of us to assume every avatar is a unique person. In spite of the fact we know that the same pair of hands is typing what we hear from you and Snugs, we still react to you both as individuals. That seems to work for both of you, it definitely works for me. 

By the way, I never thought
Snugs
was icky.

Yep, this is what I think. We have a subconscious predisposition to recognize avatars as distinct even when we are conscious they are not. That's a difficult predisposition to fight. Virtual reality pushes a lot of subconscious buttons and not everybody thinks about that. I use self-deprecation to reduce tension in conversation and as a defense mechanism. If I'm the first to out my own faults, I don't leave a lot of ammunition for others. It's been a happy accident that I can use Snugs as a sort of out-of-body self deprecation. I have fun with it, others seem to as well. What I hadn't thought much about until now is whether others see the self-deprecation differently when it's out-of-body.

You've defended me against Snugs accusations, but you've also defended me against myself. That appears to me to be the same reaction. Do you feel different about Snugs trashing Maddy vs. Maddy trashing Maddy?

By the way, I think Snugs is despicable.

ETA: I think the "icky" feeling comes from our expectation that one mind occupies one body and all the horror stories of alts in SL. My friends know the Snugs backstory and hopefully enjoy the humor of the arguments that often occur between Snugs and Maddy. For those unfamiliar with the two of me, I can see how it could seem a little sinister. I'm sure seeing me play devil's advocate in a meeting would feel different if I brought that viewpoint to the table in another body.

SL is an interesting place to experiment, whether we know we're doing it or not.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I know of quite a few straight woman in RL who are lesbian or bi in sl. It allows them to explore that side with out actually having to. Im bi but I don't announce it (wait I just did :P) in my profile and I haven't found too many who do unless they are Lesbian. IMHO of course. I agree with Madeline when she said being with a woman can be more intimate and person which I suspect it why some turn that way.

Link to post
Share on other sites


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Yep, this is what I think. We have a subconscious predisposition to recognize avatars as distinct even when we are conscious they are not. That's a difficult predisposition to fight. Virtual reality pushes a lot of subconscious buttons and not everybody thinks about that. I use self-deprecation to reduce tension in conversation and as a defense mechanism. If I'm the first to out my own faults, I don't leave a lot of ammunition for others. It's been a happy accident that I can use Snugs as a sort of out-of-body self deprecation. I have fun with it, others seem to as well. What I hadn't thought much about until now is whether others see the self-deprecation differently when it's out-of-body.

You've defended me against Snugs accusations, but you've also defended me against myself. That appears to me to be the same reaction. Do you feel different about Snugs trashing Maddy vs. Maddy trashing Maddy?

 

I can't say for sure. I believe my reaction is the same. I probably phrase things differently when I'm speaking to Snugs (often because Snugs is both acerbic and funny—that gives me more to work with than frankness) but I don't really think there's any difference in intent.

Interesting about the comment concerning self-deprecation. I'm guilty of that myself, and have used it for the same reason you state. I was called out for that by a friend (Naz), long time ago. She said I overdid the self-deprecation thing. She referenced Jack Palance's Oscar speech: "Confidence is sexy". ;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites


Dillon Levenque wrote:


Madelaine McMasters wrote:

Yep, this is what I think. We have a subconscious predisposition to recognize avatars as distinct even when we are conscious they are not. That's a difficult predisposition to fight. Virtual reality pushes a lot of subconscious buttons and not everybody thinks about that. I use self-deprecation to reduce tension in conversation and as a defense mechanism. If I'm the first to out my own faults, I don't leave a lot of ammunition for others. It's been a happy accident that I can use Snugs as a sort of out-of-body self deprecation. I have fun with it, others seem to as well. What I hadn't thought much about until now is whether others see the self-deprecation differently when it's out-of-body.

You've defended me against Snugs accusations, but you've also defended me against myself. That appears to me to be the same reaction. Do you feel different about Snugs trashing Maddy vs. Maddy trashing Maddy?

 

I can't say for sure. I believe my reaction is the same. I probably phrase things differently when I'm speaking to Snugs (often because Snugs is both acerbic and funny—that gives me more to work with than frankness) but I don't really think there's any difference in intent.

Interesting about the comment concerning self-deprecation. I'm guilty of that myself, and have used it for the same reason you state. I was called out for that by a friend (Naz), long time ago. She said I overdid the self-deprecation thing. She referenced Jack Palance's Oscar speech: "Confidence is sexy". ;-)

Snugs does give me the chance to be acerbic without harming anyone and I'm glad it gives more room to work. The best exchanges I have with friends are those in which they're not afraid to come after my foibles. They take the role of Snugs and I return the favor. We are generally silly and loveable creatures.

Confidence is sexy, but self deprecation can fool the enemy into thinking you've got no deadly weapons. Pick the right tool for the job.

;-)

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 years later...

Hello everyone.  Personally I am an RL bisexual female and very out and open.  I was first in SL from 2007 - 2013 when RL demanded my need to leave.  I owned a popular RP sim with two others.  I came back to sl recently as an old noob as I had closed my other account.  Back then I found that most “lesbian” and “bisexual” groups and clubs are mainly men in skirts.  There are exceptions but it is pretty easy to tell with some conversation.  Having come back just this month I see the same trend.  I did find one group and club that is women only and voice verification was required to join.  I found that refreshing.  Profile wise I claim to be a lesbian as that does decrease the number of unwanted advances in general.  The issue there is that so many do not read profiles.  Then you have the crowd that gets offended if you do.  For goodness sakes what are the for? LOL   I could not even begin to venture an educated guess as to how many are really women.  But I have found with some fairly mundane conversation that it is generally easy to tell the difference.  

Link to post
Share on other sites

By chance I saw this, and by going back to the necropost I saw that the post above it, the last post made before the thread died in May of 2013, was Maddy replying to me. in fact, our derail of the thread takes up a quarter of the last page. I enjoyed re-reading the conversation. :-)

So, Maddy and I killed a thread! Makes me proud. We once got a thread locked (okay, might have been unintentional). One or the other of our two most ardent trolls just would not quit and instead of the usual ignore, we either carried on a separate convo concerning him or teased him directly. I can't recall the details. In any case the troll escalated, as trolls do, and eventually got so unpleasant a mod locked the thread.

I was elsewhere when the lock happened. When I logged back into the Forums later I had a PM from Maddy saying that we'd gotten a thread locked. She Rawr'd.

  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Dillon Levenque said:

We once got a thread locked (okay, might have been unintentional). One or the other of our two most ardent trolls just would not quit and instead of the usual ignore, we either carried on a separate convo concerning him or teased him directly. I can't recall the details. In any case the troll escalated, as trolls do, and eventually got so unpleasant a mod locked the thread.

I don't recall that locked thread, but the method you describe is one that works well. It's effectively shunning and, if the troll is needy enough, can inflict substantial distress. I imagine you and I carried on a conversation about the troll without ever acknowledging his presence in the thread.

I've also had good luck purposely misinterpreting trollish behavior as showing desire or affection. That really drives 'em nuts. I once got my favorite troll to yell in all caps, asking the owner of the feed thread to "MAKE HER STOP!!!"

And you know what I think of "stop".

;-).

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, LisaLahren said:

club that is women only and voice verification was required to join.  I found that refreshing.

Yeah...forcing women to let go of some of their privacy for the sake of verifying that they are women. Thats totally new and so positivly refreshing. o.O

So...why did you need to dig out a corpse thread from 2013? Because its the year that you had to leave?

Link to post
Share on other sites

*An anonymous person opens the door to the room yelling "WHY!?"

*Before anyone can notice who it was,the impact of a launched water balloon hits a necromancer*

*The door slams as a new mystery is born in the SL community*

r8KjbMv.gif

 

 

 

Edited by Ceka Cianci
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Let me add this up ...

Bi woman.
Only dates other women.
Wants voice-modified-verified women's club.

Student-Studying.jpeg

My dykometer is going off.

 

Why?
What does it matter?
I just don't grok at all.

I have had a couple of SL girlfriends that were run by guys.  They were both sweethearts.  I have known many others.  I treat people based on how they act and how they present themselves to be.  It makes life easier that way for me.   Are you really bi?  Are you really attracted to the person and not the gender?  Then .... why demand verification?  If we want to be accepted as is then we must also accept others as they are.

If you want to claim that most bi and lesbian women in SL are played by men I may even agree with you.  But if you want to find some way to weed them out or exclude them form SL .. NO!.  I like a lot of the g.i.r.l.s I have met more than some of the girls I have met.

Anyway, that's just my own skewed opinion.  Others are just as valid.

 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/21/2013 at 12:38 PM, Tex Monday said:

 


sams Byron wrote:

 

 

 

This is just my personal observation.

 

I've noticed the various club venues I've visited tend to have a fairly very high ratio of female avatars declaring themselves as bisexual or gay in their profile versus female avatars who do not (and I assume are straight).

 

On public beach sims, it seems to hover around 50-50. Non-gender specific regions, of course.

 

I'm curious, what are your observations? Have you found that straight women are a minority versus women with different (or have multiple) preferences at your regular hangout spot?

 

Please remember that a good number of those female avatars are probably played by men...some who even live in their parent's basements eating cheetos and drinking diet sodas....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Of course, many handsome, muscular, well-dressed, well-inked and hugely endowed Male SL avatars also have typists that fit the stereotype you mentioned :-)

Which is fine with me :-) 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 325 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...