Sign in to follow this  
C3NKO

SL Viewer Update Freezing Issues (5/20/2013)

I hope someone can help me with this issue.

Since i've been on SL i have always been using the SL main viewer, and it worked 99% of the time great!

But, since the update yesterday "5/20/2013" I have some serious freezing problems.

Not only me, but my a close friend has the same problem with his viewer since after the update.

I even format my pc (because it was also about time) but it's still exactly the same..

Are there others with the same problem? Or is this a known problem?

Will there be a fix?

I have not installed the 5/20 viewer, so have no direct experience.  I have not heard of problems, but many people I know do not install updated immediately.   I infer that  you are using automatic updates.  My suggestions:

Turn off auto updates and leave it off.  Update manually and restart your PC just befor you install a new update.

To resolve your current problem: 

See this: Troubleshooting: The viewer screwer

You may need to do a clean install. as described there 

If that does not fix the problem, look in your computer for the previous install setup-- early in May.  If you did not delete  the setup, you can remove the new installation and reinstall to old one.  

Or you can install the beta version 

Or you can install Firestorm.  

TKR

Are you seeing long (several second) freezes when you do certain things, especially calling up preferences or clicking on names in the communications panel, or are you seeing frequent short (less than a second) freezes that don't seem to be connected to anything? I've been getting the former ever since the CHUI was released and the latter only happens to me with the latest version of the viewer and appears to have to do with the viewer changing to new sound libraries. If it's the latter the freezes go away if you go back to 3.5.1 - I have a bug report in on that issue. The long pauses are also a known issue, I believe, but you probably would have seen them before the 20th.

I am miserable with exactly the same problem and timing.  New update--stalls.  I walk a few steps, I am momentarily frozen.  I am typing in IM..there's a millisecond freeze.  Inv search, typing on a notecadr, everything and anything will result in freezes. What is causing this?   Is there any hope Linden Lab will fix it?  Anything I might do to minimize?  Help help.  

Viewer 3 has always worked perfectly for me.  Now I don't even want to log into SL, knowing what's waiting for me. To be stalled/frozen every three seconds is a nightmare.

I'm seeing similar short freezes.  They appear in the latest Linden Lab viewers:

• Official release viewer
• Beta viewer
• Materials project viewer

It appears that the viewer is accessing the disk and then the short freeze occurs.  It does not matter what ever I'm doing, the freezes occur quite often.   Which makes using those viewers a no joy.  :smileyfrustrated:

I'd recommend downloading and reinstalling version 3.5.1 if you're getting frequent, brief random pauses with 3.5.2. It already has the changes for server-side baking so you shouldn't have to upgrade for a while. File a BUG report and turn off "Download and install updates automatically" in Preferences. There should be another viewer version released fairly soon and by then we can hope they'll catch the problem in the 3.5.2 release.

Hello,

I'm having the same issues after the update. I'm using the official LL viewer. I've already tried uninstalling and installing it again, clearing cache etc but nothing. Lowering my graphics didn't resolve the problem either. It freezes when I move the camera, when I try to click any button, when I start walking, when I stop, when I turn around... I never had these issues before.

I've checked if it could be any other thing outside of SL, antivirus, other programs, other games... and they all work fine and don't interfere. I was close to format PC as the OP did.

I checked back today and saw your reply to my question.  YES you are right.  This was the solution that solved the problem (for now)  You do not even have to do a clean uninstall.  Just use the SL application's uninstall,  find the page in SL website--DOWNLOADS with the two previous versions which are still supported and install the one we had before this awful update.  (3.51) Sooner or later one hopes they will fix the problem in the current version. Yes turn Off automatic updates in preferences. (otherwise the viewer will constantly try to download the latest version)

It also might be a good time to check your graphic card website to be sure you have latest driver.  I hadn't realized I should have updated a while back.  No idea if this played a role, but it's always prudent to have the most recent driver for your graphics.