Textures constantly going blurred

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

1 hour ago, SoniaVileva said:

On a related topic, don't know already a thread on this. BOM bake time is actually a few seconds longer (sometimes 10sec) and it does not seem to be cached.

I am by no means as expert a user as folk such as Pantera or Niran, both of whom would explain this better than I but the apparent long bake time for BoM is normal and is due to the actual baking of the revised texture on your skin when you replace a hairbase or any other system layer.  We used to get that at every item change but we have become used to the faster rezzing of worn mesh. For that same reason the newly baked texture is just that, new.  Therefore it would need to be cached all over again, the client does not cache partial textures.  It is one of the reasons that I do not like or use BoM, though the alpha-glitch is my penalty, which BoM overcomes; great for tattoos and sheer clothes (providing they are system layers) but for me precious little use for anything else.

1 hour ago, Aishagain said:

I am by no means as expert a user as folk such as Pantera or Niran, both of whom would explain this better than I but the apparent long bake time for BoM is normal and is due to the actual baking of the revised texture on your skin when you replace a hairbase or any other system layer.  We used to get that at every item change but we have become used to the faster rezzing of worn mesh. For that same reason the newly baked texture is just that, new.  Therefore it would need to be cached all over again, the client does not cache partial textures.  It is one of the reasons that I do not like or use BoM, though the alpha-glitch is my penalty, which BoM overcomes; great for tattoos and sheer clothes (providing they are system layers) but for me precious little use for anything else.

I am sorry as I am not very clear as my problem on BoM requires more time to explain and perhaps mixed with a few issues together.   First of all, redo my outfit folders and start clean again. I used to have BoM grey texture for 5 sec when switch between outfit even with exactly the same hairbase and whatever BoM texture there is. But this problem is gone now when I delete and redo my outfit directory.  Everything is loading lighting fast and switching between outfit is lighting fast now.

I understand that it takes time on server side for BoM texture to bake but I am seeing that if the BoM textures are the same, the cache will actually kicks in and do the job lighting fast.  Perhaps something was corrupted in my outfit folders. I will keep watching.

Second problem seems to be when I load BOM hairbase, for some reason, the body sometimes will be rebaked, and sometimes will not.  I remove the scripts from Maitreya body,  it seems now that I cannot reproduce problem again, and I will keep watching.  I find this a bit strange since the head and body texture suppose to be different texture why one will trigger rebake of another?

But all in all, I think since I used the Hi-Res texture setting, the loading is much faster, and finger crossed I have not crashed nor have memory corruption. (16GB Graphics Memory)

Finally, on texture on mesh clothing, I observed that texture change can actually happen lighting fast when the avatar is moving (changing positions) compare to when it is still.

I am using FS 6.3.9.58205 with Hi-Res texture on.  I don't have any issues with Black Dragon, my impression from 3 months ago that it was lighting fast already.

@SoniaVilevaI see trouble straight away.  The use of high or full rez textures will (as is pointed out in other posts on this thread) cause a massive increase in both video and system memory...this will of necessity slow things down.  Secondly why on earth did you remove the scripts from your Maitreya body?  It will not function correctly if you do that.

55 minutes ago, Aishagain said:

@SoniaVilevaI see trouble straight away.  The use of high or full rez textures will (as is pointed out in other posts on this thread) cause a massive increase in both video and system memory...this will of necessity slow things down.  Secondly why on earth did you remove the scripts from your Maitreya body?  It will not function correctly if you do that.

I heard this "Use of full rez texture" will cause massive problem / crash for many years. But I am sharing right now that I am not crashing and everything is rendering fast and correctly.  I will try running 2 FS to see if I can crash it.   I run Linux and I run FS in both native and wine mode.

Texture blur goes away.  (I am not suggesting nor promoting anyone to try this tho) 

Removing script is one of the feature provided by Maitreya hud. When you are done with your settings, and made a backup, why not?

17 hours ago, Aishagain said:

BTW, if you actually know how to crash it, please let me know. I will try to do that and see if it will crash.  I will go to a busy event and see if it will crash.    I use FS everyday, maybe it crashes once or twice in a year, and I know how to repeat that. Otherwise, it seldom crash.   This is true when running native Linux or Linux Wine.

Edited by SoniaVileva

I do not recommend enabling "full-res textures" under the development menu in Second Life Viewer for general use as it can be problematic.  HOWEVER, I have never seen using it CRASH a viewer.  What it can do is exhaust free memory on the GPU memory bus resulting in VOCIFEROUS paging activity which delays rendering resulting in nasty interframe delays.  Some people may call this crashing but since it does not directly result in an abnormal application termination, I do not.  Due to the semantics of the English language, the word crash still can be applied in the form of  "the frame rate crashed", which is a really good description of what happens.

In short, my GTX 1070 has 8GB of RAM of some sort on the GPU bus, and this does limit the usefulness of "full res textures" to situations where the sum of the various contents of memory on the GPU bus does not exceed approximately 7.8GB, as reported by Windows Task Manager.  My CPU's memory bus has 32GB of RAM on it and my computer is not a digital land-fill so CPU RAM isn't being an issue.

Practical applications for misusing this setting, in my case, are making 360 degree panoramic images and enabling fast-panning machinima.

I have also used it and a clearing of viewer cache to demonstrate the performance of the content delivery network used for Second Life in my region.

1 hour ago, SoniaVileva said:

BTW, if you actually know how to crash it, please let me know. I will try to do that and see if it will crash.  I will go to a busy event and see if it will crash.    I use FS everyday, maybe it crashes once or twice in a year, and I know how to repeat that. Otherwise, it seldom crash.   This is true when running native Linux or Linux Wine.

I'll show you. Let me just enable Full Res Textures and... oh wait. I have 64GB RAM. I basically cannot run out of memory (unless explorer or windows update memory leaks again and eat up to 32GB)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1087 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.