Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
Kellynataly Twine

In the last two weeks I have been feeling a lot of lag. Affecting the quality of music on the stream

Question

  • 0

Yes, it could have something to do with your location.  The farther a signal has to travel between your computer and SL's servers (that is, the longer its Ping Time), the more lag you will experience even on a good day.  After all, any time you press an arrow key or move your mouse to change your position or click on somthing, the servers only know when the news reaches them.  If you look at your Statistics Bar (CTRL+ Shift + 1), you'll probably find that your Sim Ping time is something like 150ms or greater.  That's normal for Europe or South America.  Mine, here in the U.S. is uaually about 40-50ms.  If yours gets much higher than 150ms, you'll start to have more and more lag.  So, something may have changed in your ISP or in the cables near you to slow down your signal. 

That's one possibility.  I know you said you didn't change anything in your computer, but just in case ... Another possibility is your Maximum Bandwidth.  The advertized bandwidth from your ISP may be 4000kB/sec, but you ought to measure your real download bandwidth, which is probably quite a bit less.  It also probably varies from day to day.  Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see.  Then set your Maximum Bandwidth (in Prefs >> Network & Cache) to no more than about 75% of that number.  I set mine at 1200 kB/sec. If you set it too high and then your ISP delivers less than your usual bandwidth on a given day, you'll find that Voice and streamed media (which use the other 25% of your total bandwidth) will be choked and start to stutter or cut out completely.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

1 answer to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0

Yes, it could have something to do with your location.  The farther a signal has to travel between your computer and SL's servers (that is, the longer its Ping Time), the more lag you will experience even on a good day.  After all, any time you press an arrow key or move your mouse to change your position or click on somthing, the servers only know when the news reaches them.  If you look at your Statistics Bar (CTRL+ Shift + 1), you'll probably find that your Sim Ping time is something like 150ms or greater.  That's normal for Europe or South America.  Mine, here in the U.S. is uaually about 40-50ms.  If yours gets much higher than 150ms, you'll start to have more and more lag.  So, something may have changed in your ISP or in the cables near you to slow down your signal. 

That's one possibility.  I know you said you didn't change anything in your computer, but just in case ... Another possibility is your Maximum Bandwidth.  The advertized bandwidth from your ISP may be 4000kB/sec, but you ought to measure your real download bandwidth, which is probably quite a bit less.  It also probably varies from day to day.  Go to http://www.speedtest.net/ and see.  Then set your Maximum Bandwidth (in Prefs >> Network & Cache) to no more than about 75% of that number.  I set mine at 1200 kB/sec. If you set it too high and then your ISP delivers less than your usual bandwidth on a given day, you'll find that Voice and streamed media (which use the other 25% of your total bandwidth) will be choked and start to stutter or cut out completely.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...