Alts, why have them?

Kezio

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not everyone likes to have an Alt, some people are very anti and would even dump you if they found out it wasnt just you in world. So why do some of us use alts and some of us dont like them at all? 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Testing.

I have an alt and she was made for one reason, to see if my 40K inventory was slowing me down or not. And the only difference I could see was the initial download of my inventory. Other than that having 40K or having 8K inventory made no difference at all as far as I could tell. The only problem is now the Brat wants to play all the time!

Its normal in every other onlinegame to have more than one character...so why shouldn't I use a second one here? If thats reason enough for someone to dump me, then they should go on...or better not start talking with me at all, cause I have stated in my profile that I do have an alt.

Those anti people are a bit weird and strange in their behavior anyway...so we wouldn't go along well anyway.

Haha! I love that what you said about the brat :matte-motes-wink: and i've heard about a heavy inventory weighing down your avatar like carrying a loaded suitcase around everywhere you go, it causing severe lag apparently, not that i have much in mine just a few dare i say it freebies, lol

About the alts though, i once had a girl was really nasty to me about thinking i was an alt created to just earn some extra money, i was totally innocent there was only me, and she was having a right go about me to this guy right in front of me, then she started to push me around, she said she really hated anyone who used alts, but i wonder why some are so aggressive about it? I was simply dancing at a place that paid out randomly for being there, and like i say there was only me there i didnt have an alt and i can only log in one avatar because my pc is very old and slow, i had to leave the dance place in the end, she just wouldnt stop picking on me. Very strange behaviour from someone i didnt even know. But thats how some treat others for thinking they have alts even if they dont :smileysad:  

I have alts because there was times long ago.. i used to constantly leave secondlife and when i came back i never wanted to use the same account, how boring. But regardless i've always used my name.

Right now i have 1 and i put all my lindens on that account just incase i got hacked, which i did a week ago, which makes it a pretty smart idea.

I'm male, so I have a female alt. It's a working alt...only comes inworld to work. Mainly for testing sit animations for female av size, and for taking pictures for marketplace listings. 

Edit: Just read my post. It sounds really boring. Yeah, it's a bit of a boring alt. No dramas. I only go inworld to work too :(

the worst of it was when i tried to go back there i had been banned by the owner, i asked him why and he said we dont allow alt newbies camping here, she had reported me, because i was new the owner didnt believe a word i said he believed her instead, she had been inworld several years. It was a fav place of mine before that incident, and although i was reluctant to go back i wanted to prove my innocense so i spoke instead to a very nice lady manager of the club and explained what had happened, she unbanned me and im pleased to say i didnt see that awful girl again, i dont know what happened to her but i was relieved she didnt go back there, not when i was there anyhow.

There is nothing wrong with having alts.  What is wrong is using them to cheat, steal, spy, grief or for other nefarious purposes.  The reason some people hate alts is because they've either been a victim of this or are afraid they will become a victim.

You can't always go by the rez date of an avatar if the person driving it appears to be 'too advanced'.  There are people that just catch on to SL much faster than other people.  Also a common way to avoid the stigma of a new account used for questionable reasons is to create an alt and allow it to 'age' for a while before using it.

However there are a lot of valid reasons for having them.

I have a male alt that I use for setting up animations and an occasional photo for marketing my products. 
Some use them for the 'face' of their business so that their main accounts privacy is not invaded.  Some use them as characters for role play, others for times when they don't want to be disturbed in SL. 

Other people create them to get a 'fresh start' in SL either because they have become bored with their main, they are hiding from stalkers or former lovers seeking revenge, or want to shed a reputation that their main has acquired.

Kezio wrote:

Not everyone likes to have an Alt, some people are very anti and would even dump you if they found out it wasnt just you in world. So why do some of us use alts and some of us dont like them at all? 

A girl once told me she had 100 alts, after that i never saw her again, or maybe i did and didnt know it was her :smileyvery-happy:

I have two alts. The first is a male I created within a month of joining SL just for the fun of it. He has been very useful when things seem to break and I need to test things around my property. He is much more convenient than asking someone to help me, and he keeps his emotions in check and I don't have to worry about him getting the wrong idea just cause we had a cuddle or two. Recently I have started making animated furniture, so he has really been handy helping me set up couple poses.

The second is a female I created a few months ago when my account was messed up for three days and I couldn't TP anywhere, my avatar had two sets of clothing, hair and shoes on, my friends and groups had disappeared, I couldn't talk to anyone, and it was just a huge mess. I created her to see if it was SL, my viewer or my account and it was my account. So I used her to get around SL, communicate with employees so they would know what was going on and could handle things the best they could. LL was very good at working with me on it, but it still took them about 3 days to figure out the problem and fix it. In the mean time, it was actually kind of nice because with her, I was able to explore and do things without being bothered. Since then I have used her as a CPA to keep a business venture I started separate from my other interests.

I understand about some people that use alts in ways to be sneaky and why some would be suspicious of them. Some people even think that if they use an alt to play around, then it isn't really cheating. I have come across people that have created a new one just to start over for whatever reason. I know someone that has created two of each sex just so she can roleplay the family thing without compromising her real life marriage.

I myself have been the victim of someone who thought I was an alt within a few days of me joining SL because I was fortunate enough to have had help putting together a decent avatar and I caught on quickly. However, I still wasn't used to paying attention to local chat so she thought I had ignored her. I am still banned from her land to this day as she refused to even listen to me and even now, she just won't listen. What is really sad about that, is she supposedly helps newbies. There are some unique shops there I wish I could shop at, but I can't.

In SL you will come across all sorts of people. Some are really super nice and will become lifelong friends, some are super mean and will become your sworn enemies just because that is the sort of people they are, and then there is everything in between. In any case, just try to be the best person you can be, move on, and enjoy your Second life!

I have a few alts, I wanted the challenge of making a new alt initially. One is a sheep, she's just adorable and has been known to have a baaad sense of humour.

Last one I made was a male, I wanted to see what it would be like to make an alt of the opposite sex, and if I do say so myself, he's a pretty cool avi. I now use him to stand with me while I build so I don't look like some sad case who spends all her time alone.

And now my secret is out :smileyembarrassed:

Summer Tison wrote:

I have a few alts, I wanted the challenge of making a new alt initially. One is a sheep, she's just adorable and has been known to have a baaad sense of humour.

Last one I made was a male, I wanted to see what it would be like to make an alt of the opposite sex, and if I do say so myself, he's a pretty cool avi. I now use him to stand with me while I build so I don't look like some sad case who spends all her time alone.

And now my secret is out :smileyembarrassed:

I think thats a wonderful reason to have an alt, i have spent so much time on my own as well, and always thought the same when building, if only i had a friend with me to talk to or sit and watch me so that no one thought i was a loner that no one wanted

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I dont any Alts because I love spoiling this one

thats so nice, and you are very beautiful, i wouldnt want an alt either if i had an avatar as lovely as yours

I have a sugar-mommy alt that holds my payment information. I don't think I've ever teleported her, so she gets pushed from info-hub to info-hub as they vanish from the grid.

I have another alt I originally created for a long-time online friend I hoped would follow me to SL. He was smart enough to demure, leaving Snugs to haunt me for the last five years. I've used Snugs to set couples poses and to aid in making machinima. I haven't actually made one yet, so Snugs' value as an aid is questionable.

To my consternation, Snugs is better liked by many of my friends than I am. For that reason alone, I don't recommend creating alts.

I have a sugar-mommy alt that holds my payment information. I don't think she's ever been teleported, so she gets pushed from info-hub to info-hub as they vanish from the grid.

I have another alt that created herself with the hope of having a lurid intimate relationship with some poor unsuspecting virtual companion. She was not smart enough to realize how poor and unsuspecting she herself was, and she would not listen to my constant warnings. I feel no pity for her.

To her consternation, I am better liked by many of her friends than she is. For that reason alone, I recommend being someone's alt.

Syo Emerald wrote:

I bet its because of the name. Snugs sounds like someone I want to jump at and cuddle for the rest of my virtual life.

Syo, as it happens, I am so delightfully cuddly that I must walk around carrying a stop sign to ward off advances. Unlike Maddy, I don't crave the attention. You'd think she'd be more appreciative of my refusal to compete with her, even if that's because I prefer a challenge.

mewp mewp a mewp mew day 

I have 11, oops, I am an Alt myself, darn, does that mean i am no longer allowed to mix SL and SL as the same.

I guess I have 2 Alts, and whoever that mean person is that made me, i heard through the pixel emitter that she has many more

God i hate my life , all i do is log in every tuesday and give 300L to my alt, i wish i was voided, hahahhahha

I have been accused of being an alt, it was actually my to RL sisters and I. So we were threatened to be banned from a club. We all logged in and started talking to different people at the same time in the club so we proved we were different people. I was new that the time but now that I have a few years under my belt I want to ask them, so what if I am an alt you still get my money the same. What does it matter? However the club was shut down. 

Staralien wrote:

I have two alts. The first is a male I created within a month of joining SL just for the fun of it. He has been very useful when things seem to break and I need to test things around my property. He is much more convenient than asking someone to help me, and he keeps his emotions in check and I don't have to worry about him getting the wrong idea just cause we had a cuddle or two. Recently I have started making animated furniture, so he has really been handy helping me set up couple poses.

The second is a female I created a few months ago when my account was messed up for three days and I couldn't TP anywhere, my avatar had two sets of clothing, hair and shoes on, my friends and groups had disappeared, I couldn't talk to anyone, and it was just a huge mess. I created her to see if it was SL, my viewer or my account and it was my account. So I used her to get around SL, communicate with employees so they would know what was going on and could handle things the best they could. LL was very good at working with me on it, but it still took them about 3 days to figure out the problem and fix it. In the mean time, it was actually kind of nice because with her, I was able to explore and do things without being bothered. Since then I have used her as a CPA to keep a business venture I started separate from my other interests.

I understand about some people that use alts in ways to be sneaky and why some would be suspicious of them. Some people even think that if they use an alt to play around, then it isn't really cheating. I have come across people that have created a new one just to start over for whatever reason. I know someone that has created two of each sex just so she can roleplay the family thing without compromising her real life marriage.

I myself have been the victim of someone who thought I was an alt within a few days of me joining SL because I was fortunate enough to have had help putting together a decent avatar and I caught on quickly. However, I still wasn't used to paying attention to local chat so she thought I had ignored her. I am still banned from her land to this day as she refused to even listen to me and even now, she just won't listen. What is really sad about that, is she supposedly helps newbies. There are some unique shops there I wish I could shop at, but I can't.

In SL you will come across all sorts of people. Some are really super nice and will become lifelong friends, some are super mean and will become your sworn enemies just because that is the sort of people they are, and then there is everything in between. In any case, just try to be the best person you can be, move on, and enjoy your Second life!

my first alt was created about 20 days after i first joined because i wanted to see what happened to me after i logged out for some reason i thought my Av remained in world even though i logged out

my next alt was created during a period where i would ghost a lot for those that don't know what ghosting is it's where your Av failed to log out properly and it's presence remained inworld preventing you from logging in often a support ticket would eventually get your ghost cleared so you could log in again (thankfully LL cured ghosting) when you could still get last names i went on SLnamewatch.com and found a site where i could create an Av with Ghost as the last name with my Ghost logged in i'd use it to find the ghosted me and help me unghost myself

my last alt was created when the usernames came in and i decided to grab my name as just a username before anyone else did

Kezio wrote:

I use one to test scripts and purchases and vendors - he's my customer alt.  He's also the second avatar that made my group possible before I had any other members. 

I also use him to test and model clothing for males.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3738 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.