Sign in to follow this  
Sephina Frostbite

To roomie or not to roomie.. whats your opinion

What are your thoughts on having a room mate? Money doenst matter because I can afford it by meself more like having someone there once and a while to fill in the emptiness.

I guess it depends on whether you are both on the same page, i would choose wisely before taking on a roomie,maybe have a trial period. The idea of having someone there to hang with etc is nice but the flip side is they are always there and you dont get any peace, or they always have people coming over etc, for me i prefer to go and visit them.

Depending on your rights, prim allowance etc...

I used to have someone staying with my little avatar on her land. The room mate had a living space in the sky though.

See my avatar likes living at sea level but her friend liked skyboxes. She shared some of the prims which was fine, she wasn't a prim hog by any means and I had more than enough to spare so no biggie. We respected each others' privacy in case one of us had a "guest" I didn't ask any rent of her but sometimes she would give me a little something or buy me things. I miss my friend Artie. :(

What ended it though was the fact that my computer was struggling more and more with SL so I had to pretty much leave and wasn't gonna rent a land. Other than that, things were fine. If I had to do it over, i would gladly have her as a roommate. Well, land-mate. What is SL without someone to share it with?

So, if it is a good friend that you can trust, why not? Just discuss each others' terms so see if it would work. Since you are not concerned with someone paying rent, that will be a major possible obstacle out of the way.

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

What are your thoughts on having a room mate? Money doenst matter because I can afford it by meself more like having someone there once and a while to fill in the emptiness.

I vote no. The proper treatment for spirtual emptiness is not a roommate. The correct treatment is alcohol, drugs, and meaningless slex.

I have asked myself the same question but came to the point where I noticed that I don't have any friend who I could ask to share my place and that trusting a stranger, someone who I never had talked to, is to risky for my taste.

Real life or Second Life, I would never want a room-mate; past experience has taught me that.  Your home should be your sanctuary, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the time when you want to be totally alone, is the time when dear ol' roomie wants to open her/his heart about the cr4ppy day they've had, when all you want to do is slide into a long hot bubble bath.

Sorry, can't get RL flat-sharing out of my head.

In SL, if you can afford a place all by yourself, then keep it as your own, and when you want company, find a nice coffee house where your best buds hang. You get the best of both worlds then; company when you want it, own-space when you need it.

Senobia Xenga wrote:

I wouldn't do it. Things like this generally never end on good terms.

This ^^^^

Even the best of friends don't typically last as room mates and usually aren't friends afterwards.

Randall Ahren wrote:

I vote no. The proper treatment for spirtual emptiness is not a roommate. The correct treatment is alcohol, drugs, and meaningless slex

Randall, I like the way you think, sir!!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

But seriously, Seph...it all depends. If I were going to do that,  I think I wouldn't just find someone off the street to be your roommate. I would pick a friend..someone who you're already close to. I like having someone to come home to. But, when I want to be alone, I go somewhere and hide out so no one can find me. It might be something to try on a temporary basis..see how things works out.

Tex Monday wrote:

Randall Ahren wrote:

I vote no. The proper treatment for spirtual emptiness is not a roommate. The correct treatment is alcohol, drugs, and meaningless slex

Randall, I like the way you think, sir!!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

But seriously, Seph...it all depends. If I were going to do that,  I think I wouldn't just find someone off the street to be your roommate. I would pick a friend..someone who you're already close to. I like having someone to come home to. But, when I want to be alone, I go somewhere and hide out so no one can find me. It might be something to try on a temporary basis..see how things works out.

I like all this :P

I had luck to find great people to share land with and its nice to know someone is there. If you worry about the privacy you can set up a skybox only for you, but if you don't have a person that you can deal with in good and bad times then better be all on your own. 

Tamara Artis wrote:

I like all this
:P

I had luck to find great people to share land with and its nice to know someone is there. If you worry about the privacy you can set up a skybox only for you, but if you don't have a person that you can deal with in good and bad times then better be all on your own. 

We TOTALLY need to get together and party....:matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

I don't think privacy is the issue. I think Seph is tired (if I may be so bold) of coming home to an empty house and hanging by herself. She's looking for someone to share a space and some time with. If she needs the privacy or not wanting to deal with anything, she can lock herself in her room and tell the roomie that she's not in the mood to talk.

I don't think, as I said before, that it's a bad idea to have a roomie..but I would ask someone who you've known for a while rather than a stranger.

Totally! And make it a beach party in bikinis and cold drinks so if anyone makes any embarrasing thing we can blame alcohol.

Tamara Artis wrote:

Totally! And make it a beach party in bikinis and cold drinks so if anyone makes any embarrasing thing we can blame alcohol.

I want to be able to blame the alcohol on EVERYTHING!!! :matte-motes-sunglasses-3:

Party at Tamara's place!!!

Sephina Frostbite wrote:

I have often said in RL that if I had to move due to finances, I would rather live in a 1-room apartment than have a roommate.  I feel pretty much the same in SL. 

That being said, I was partnered for three years in SL and we lived in a house together, a big one...lol, but I still had some time to myself due to his work schedule. 

I doubt I'd be happy with an actual roomie—someone who lives in the same house I do—but I have a landmate arrangement a lot like the one Erin talked about. She's someone I've been friends with for about three years so there was never a question about that. She just got busy in RL and was inworld less and less often so she gave up her rental. I put a little sky platform above my property and she's put a cabin on it and is using it for a skybox.

We don't conflict at all. I'm rarely home when I'm inworld, she's rarely inworld. When we do happen to be there at the same time it's usually because we're both getting ready to go to the same party or gig.

She's got an extensive collection of holiday decorations, which is fun. She did a terrific job decking out my land for Halloween. Of course, she then got busy in RL again so I had to take them down at Christmas.:smileyfrustrated:

You can always try to make Maddy move to residentials in Plainfield.

Please contact mr. Ed Gein .. :robotindifferent: