You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have decided to give the Gor scene a try.....the diverse culture and roles in the gorean world interests me....but the problem is finding someone willing to help me settle in.....like helping me find a role and guide me in my early stages....any help would be greatly appreciated.....thank you

You could try the Adult Hub Gor.   They are there to help new people who are interested in Adult SL in general and Gor in particular.  

Alternatively, Valnor is a very friendly place, I've found.   While their particular backstory might not be what you're looking for (they're mostly slave-owning priestesses, protected by panthers, fighting off pirates and slavers), I am sure they'd be able to give you some suggestions.

Serxjo001 wrote:

I have decided to give the Gor scene a try.....the diverse culture and roles in the gorean world interests me....but the problem is finding someone willing to help me settle in.....like helping me find a role and guide me in my early stages....any help would be greatly appreciated.....thank you

Great role play guide

http://www.ragnarsrest.com/GorRPGuide.pdf

Important things to know when playing gor :)

http://ragnarsrest.com/gorfacts/

If you want someone to help you - it might bebest to find a sim first where you want to play. Other players usually invest into people who want to spend time on their sim. Some sims also have some welcome programs and stuff like that. You should decide first which role you want to play - so people know where to start when helping you out.

Kettarah wrote:

Haifa is a good place. They will help you learn the basics and get a backstory. I got there a couple of weeks ago myself. Look me up if you come by - Kettarah.

If people are looking for role play - I actually would not recommend Port Haifa (if that is the place you mean.) It is a mostly a slave training place and it asks a bunch of OOC crossover from slave role players. Most people who only want to rp are not into that.

• 4 years later...

When I went Gor it was hard to break in. I recommend reading the books. It's hard as hell cause they are horribly written. 

That said, it's not easy to get into of you have no idea what you are doing. It's very cliquey and people will ignore you if they do not seem you knowledgeable.

It took me months to find a decent rp partner. I'm not sure what role you are looking to play but here are some quick tips:

Gorean slave girls fall into mainly 3 categories: waitress (and God help you if you don't know serve protocol); sex toy; or dancing girl (my experience is in the south... Another caveat). There can be love between a master and slave.

Free women: are supposed to be prude, uptight, and not like the slave girls. They are smart and haughty. Their purpose is to make babies for the free men while pretending they don't like sex in public. They can't go anywhere but their home city without a free man. There isn't always love between a free woman and her companion (husband). It is more like a business partnership for children.

Free men: Rulers of the world. What they say goes. They can collar a woman of another city for any reason. They can beat a slave for any reason. What they say goes.

Male slaves: get the least rp. Most free should find them disgusting. They are going against the natural order and it's pretty shameful. 

North vs South:

North is cold, so you wear a lot more fur, semi Viking like but not Viking. The free women don't have to cover their faces. Female saves are called bonds and males are called thralls. The free worship Norse God's. 

South is warmer. Female slaves are called kajira and male slaves are called kajirus. South is more aristocratic. There is a Caste system which one is born into when one is free. The slaves have no caste and so be collared is to lose a caste. Each caste is assigned a color which the free wear proudly to proclaim their caste. The free worship the priest Kings (bugs). A slave cannot step foot in a temple or speak of the priest Kings or risk death. Free women tend to be covered from head to toe for modesty. They wear a head scarf and a face veil, especially if of a high caste. Lower castes tend to not have those things available. While it's not illegal to not wear a veil, free women risk being shunned by other free and being accused of slave like behavior (which can a woman in a collar) of she is unveiled. 

When a slave served a drink it tend to be on the left, on her knees, and with a bowed head reading the vessel. (Each different drink had a different vessel)

In the south, when a female slave addresses a free, she does so from her knees. Her knees are parted wide for a free man, a d clamped tight for a free woman. Male slaves typically did not kneel for free unless instructed to. And she. They knelt they did so on one knee.

Kneeling isn't such a bit thing in the north.

Northern slaves tend to be rougher, heartier and bigger. Southern slaves are more delicate and refined. There is a higher protocol for southern slaves.

I hope that helps. This is just a summary from my experience. I have friends at Port Kar and some at Svago that are good roleplayers. I believe those places are still active

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Not played Gor, just started SL, but I did read all the books back in the day.   Free women wear robes of concealment to discourage raiders from enslaving them.  This is a main reason why they hide their faces, the thought process is.... let a man risk his life to take a slave that he can see is beautiful vs taking an ugly free woman.   Talbot, the main character throughout the series actually says as much.   Think it was Tarnsman of Gor, but not read them for 30 plus years.  If you can find it, John Norman also wrote some books on sex.  Think the title was Imaginative Sex, ?  I never read it, but I would imagine it gives a strong insight into his vision of the gender relationships.  After all Talbot often states that all women want to be slaves.  By the time he becomes a Pirate lord in Raiders of Gor?  He is a hardcore slaving arse.    My personal favorite was Priest Kings and that is because of Misnk (don't remember the spelling of the PK's name)

Edited by Thjis
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 1071 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.