Exporting clothing mesh template from SL

Vicwt

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Hello,

I would like to export a full perm mesh dress which I purchased on mp from SL into Blender and play around with it.  Is this possible/allowed from SL?  I've spent some time searching the web for turorials on this, but I couldn't find anything.  There are quite a few tutorials on exporting avatar shapes from SL but none on clothing meshes.  Unless this is impossible and I'm reading the "full perm" rights, on plain clothing templates which are intended for resale, the wrong way.  Thanks in advance.

1 answer to this question

Hello Vicwt,

you can not export a mesh object ( no matter if static or wearable) from SL onto your harddrive.

The only ways to do so are illegal and include ripping which we won't discuss here under any circumstances. And also are never valid even if you have a 'full perm' version. Because this just includes permissions for the file format as you have it. Which is the plain in-game mesh-asset in your case.

The 'full permission' you have granted here by the creator, mostly includes the fact that you are allowed to : retexture the model, sell the model, scale the model, include the model into linksets, and similar. 

The reason why you can do this with the inbuild Avatar meshes is because they are hardcoded and accessable. With the usage of certain plugins or older thirdparty viewers.

If you'd really would like to have the full  3D file for this outfit, to open it with any 3D software you will have to contact the creator and ask for the original files. (in your case Collada DAE format - for blender / SL usage)

But be aware that the answer most likely will be no, or a request to pay a way higher fee than what you did for the inworld product. Regarding the fact that once you have the 3D model itself you can upload it under your name as creator and make money from it, alter it, change it etc.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3998 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.