Facelights, to wear or not to wear?

Maccaulay

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

KaelemDajuan wrote:

Facelights are a must have especially for ladies, you can see the difference when you wear one they really make your face so amazingly smooth and beautiful, i dont think the guys need worry though unless theyre really bothered about how smooth and flawless their face looks. But the ladies look stunning, and i'm not talking about the bright light ones, there is a facelight called a glamour facelight and that is perfect, and it doesn't seem to light up everyone else its just a gentle one. The gentle ones are the best, but the too bright ones are a no no :matte-motes-sour: there is windlight settings of course but if you want others to see your beauty you need something everyone can see, not just on your screen, not everyone has their windlight setting adjusted to make avi faces look nice.

Heres the thing.. i have attached lights turned off. So i dont actually see you as you see you. Most older avs that i have spoken to have this setting as well. We don't want to see your face light ighting up the sim. Even if its "well made" to you, it may mess up our view.

Just a side note. It's like the 12 hours of painstaking work you do to match your mesh/rim/sculpty feet to your skin. That only works if my settings match yours. Including the color settings on my monitor.

My advice, skip the face light and just wander.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

KaelemDajuan wrote:

Facelights are a must have especially for ladies, you can see the difference when you wear one they really make your face so amazingly smooth and beautiful, i dont think the guys need worry though unless theyre really bothered about how smooth and flawless their face looks. But the ladies look stunning, and i'm not talking about the bright light ones, there is a facelight called a glamour facelight and that is perfect, and it doesn't seem to light up everyone else its just a gentle one. The gentle ones are the best, but the too bright ones are a no no :matte-motes-sour: there is windlight settings of course but if you want others to see your beauty you need something everyone can see, not just on your screen, not everyone has their windlight setting adjusted to make avi faces look nice.

Heres the thing.. i have attached lights turned off. So i dont actually see you as you see you. Most older avs that i have spoken to have this setting as well. We don't want to see your face light ighting up the sim. Even if its "well made" to you, it may mess up our view.

Just a side note. It's like the 12 hours of painstaking work you do to match your mesh/rim/sculpty feet to your skin. That only works if my settings match yours. Including the color settings on my monitor.

My advice, skip the face light and just wander.

^^ that. I have attached lights disabled as well, so no matter how smooth and beautiful you look on your screen while wearing it, I will not see it and I do not want to see it. I live my SL usually in high graphics with shadows enabled and use various windlights. Facelights are ruining the view on MY screen and do not make people look good to me, on the contrary.

ETA: since we are able to turn them off, I would say: wear them if you must, if it is good for you on your screen, by all means: enjoy! Just like I enjoy my version of the world :)

KaelemDajuan wrote:

1. Facelights are a must have especially for ladies, you can see the difference when you wear one they really make your face so amazingly smooth and beautiful,

2. But the ladies look stunning, and i'm not talking about the bright light ones, there is a facelight called a glamour facelight and that is perfect, and it doesn't seem to light up everyone else its just a gentle one.

3. if you want others to see your beauty you need something everyone can see, not just on your screen, not everyone has their windlight setting adjusted to make avi faces look nice.

Nope nope nope. Nope to all of this. You're wrong on every count, and I'll explain why.

1. If your face looks bumpy and weird, it will continue to be bumpy and weird regardless of whatever lighting is applied to it. The only way to fix bumpy and weird shapes is to fix the shape and skin combination that's causing it. Lighting is not guaranteed to work for anyone, ever. Especially the increasing (and equally silly grouping) of users who disable attached lights. Hiding a bad shape and skin combination behind a facelight just makes you stupid, and stupidity isn't beautiful.

2. Lights always affect the lighting of everything else in the scene. 100% of the time. The SL lighting engine is designed to render changes either made by a random sub-set of six lights (which looks terrible) or by changing each object to react to all the lights in the scene (which over-brightens). It's a light! Light sources in SL are ALWAYS spheres and ALWAYS global, glowing equally in all directions and across all types of object, so your facelight is causing at least as much glow in front of you as it is over your face. Sure you can make the radius small, you can even make them projectors so that they only wash 'backwards' over the avatar, and not forwards in front of your face (no-one currently does this), but the reality is that other objects will be affected. Your face will glow in scenes where it shouldn't, turning you into a human lighthouse. A facelight will always damage the lighting of a scene in an unrealistic and bizarre way.

3. Most importantly: Facelights are more unlikely to work for everyone as Windlight, and the reasoning is simple; lighting is never consistant. No two users will have the same view of the environment, the same lighting engine, the same preferences, the same graphics arcitecture. Lighting intensity varies depending on just about everything (in some instances, even depending on the brightness of your monitor), a scene will almost never look the same to two different users. There is no way to 'look good for everyone'. Disabling attached lights, as is common for users who don't like facelights, will force your face to look bad regardless of a facelight.

There are very valid reasons to use attached lights, there's even sensible reasons to use facelights (mostly photography, modelling)! But facelights for the purpose of 'general beauty' aren't one of them. You're peddling in lies and snake oil.

I love a pretty face.  I really do.  And I can get lost gazing in a woman's eyes.  A pretty smile is like a rainbow on a woman's face radiating joy.  I can fall in love with a smile.

But why not Breast Lights?  When we aren't gazing in your eyes, where do you think our eyes wander to?  Why not light up that part of a woman's body that can so mesmerize a man (or another woman).  Ladies spend small fortunes on lingerie.  You buy low cut dresses and wear your blouses open to reveal a peak at your breasts.  So why not light them up?

All this talk about Face Lights when what we really need are Breast Lights!

KaelemDajuan wrote:

Coby Foden wrote:

KaelemDajuan wrote:

Facelights are a must have especially for ladies...

No.gif

no-smiley-emoticon.gif

:matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

So that's a No No then :smileyvery-happy: :matte-motes-sunglasses-1:

ashamed.gif      poster_oops.gif        :smileyfrustrated:   :smileywink:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Heres the thing.. i have attached lights turned off.
So i dont actually see you as you see you.

What's interesting about the bolded statement you made is this; how many people actually care what you or anyone else sees? Are they looking at your monitor?

I say this because most people I know are interested in their "own" SL experience, not someone else’s. If some people like face lights, great, if others like windlight, great, if some have local lights off or on, great. What I don't understand is why some people have to go to such great lengths to put down one side or the other. (not you in particular)

How you view SL is your experience but not necessarily how others may wish to view it. Personally I don't use SL to see how good others look. I am vain it's true but I don't compare myself to others. My vanity is for my own personal consumption. If I feel good thinking I look good, woohoo! If others don't agree do you really think I lose any sleep over it?

PS I replied to you cuz we get along. This isn't a reply regarding you directly.

Suspiria Finucane wrote:

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

Heres the thing.. i have attached lights turned off.
So i dont actually see you as you see you.

What's interesting about the bolded statement you made is this; how many people actually care what you or anyone else sees? Are they looking at your monitor?

I say this because most people I know are interested in their "own" SL experience, not someone else’s. If some people like face lights, great, if others like windlight, great, if some have local lights off or on, great. What I don't understand is why some people have to go to such great lengths to put down one side or the other. (not you in particular)

How you view SL is your experience but not necessarily how others may wish to view it. Personally I don't use SL to see how good others look. I am vain it's true but I don't compare myself to others. My vanity is for my own personal consumption. If I feel good thinking I look good, woohoo! If others don't agree do you really think I lose any sleep over it?

PS I replied to you cuz we get along. This isn't a reply regarding you directly.

:matte-motes-big-grin: Sus likes me!!!!

I only posted that because the big responce to why do you wear a facelight is "so i look good to people in SL." Most don't realize what they do has very little to how we see them. There was a time i went around set to midnight.. always midnight.. it was very interesting to see how local lights affect things.

Ren Toxx wrote:

/me grabs some popcorn and comfortably sits, waiting for the extremists in both camps to come and start snarling at each other

ETA: I'm on the facelight camp.

/me munches some popcorn while ducking the first incoming stone

I know right, my first thought was oh chit...its on now.

I agree with you.  I have a fairly high end PC with a high def monitor and I can tell you - seeing people with face and body lights make me shudder, get sick at my stomach, and try to get away from them ASAP.  Using Windlight (or any other settings) is a million times better than even the most subtle of facelights to highlight a person's avi and make the avi look great.  Facelights and bodylights are so 2008 for me (that's when I joined SL) - I dumped them sometime in 2009 or 2010 and have never looked back.  When I'm in stores that are highly lit like they've got facelights/bodylights in the store, I shun those stores - I hate anything that's bright and glares (not just in SL either - in RL as well as other virtual worlds).

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3957 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.