Help! I can't login to Second Life

Halberd37

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi, My name is Halberd37, call me Christian Lidenbrock... Ok, let's go the business: Since wednesday I can't log into Second Life. I've sent a ticket to support team, but they were not gimme a solution... until now. I've tried by any way: reset my router, reset my router, reset computer, waiting for the resolving of the mantainance to relog, and nothing worked! Can you help me please? I will glad your help.

Adittional details: I tried to uninstall and dowload the viewer, I tried to change of location and appear this message:

"darn.  You have been logged out of second life.   This region may be experiencing trouble.  Please check You'r connection to the internet. "

But after this happened, I sign the updated Terms Of Service yesterday. Could be that?

Okay, that message indicates you DO connect and it boots you off soon after - I think.

The most common issue there is network failure. If you're on wireless, switch to wired for testing if you can. If you're on a wired connection... well, without any information, there's a shot in the dark. From a command prompt (windows) run this command:

ping -n 50 216.82.50.46

At the end it should give you a statistic about sent/lost packets. There should be absolutely none lost. If that succeeds, try running a variation of that command:

ping -n 50 -l 1000 216.82.50.46

That, too, should not have any packets lost.

If both tests succeed and have no package loss, your network connection is ok. If either of those two have lost packets, you need to troubleshoot your Internet connection.

A slow connections shouldn't disconnect you, though it certainly would cause problems. If you think that might be an issue try running this speed test here: http://www.speedtest.net/ (this service is not affiliated with Second Life).

If your Internet connection passes this simple test, try deleting the Second Life client - whichever one you use - and afterwards delete all Second Life settings/cache files. Then reinstall Second Life and see if that changed anything.

And again, please post the output of Help->About Second Life from the client. Some basic information about your Internet connection would also be helpful: Type? DSL, Cable... something else? Do you connect through a wireless network or a wired network?

I'm connected through a wireless connection. Besides, I did that test and I received the follow results:

Download speed: 5.13 Mbps

Upload speed: 0.64 Mbps

Does it pass the test? else it not pass,  What can I do?

When you ask a tech question get your computer specs from the Viewer's Help->About... past those into your post. That gives us the driver version numbers and hard info we need to narrow our answers down past a wild guess.

The problem you are having is generally a connection problem. Testing via SpeedTest.net is good but not good enough. You need to test things specific to Second Life. Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection

PS: Sorry I did not see your PM sooner.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I use this modem to connect since I started to explore Second Life. It has a ASDL conection. I've configured my graphic drivers and I could log in, but to the next week I can¡t log in again. I've configured my graphic drivers to the maximum and still can't log in. But the strange details is I can log in only in the morning.

Another Detail: I've tried again the ping command again and I had not lost packets. What will be the problem?

Halberd37 wrote:

Well, I use this modem to connect since I started to explore Second Life. It has a ASDL conection. I've configured my graphic drivers and I could log in, but to the next week I can¡t log in again. I've configured my graphic drivers to the maximum and still can't log in. But the strange details is I can log in only in the morning.

Another Detail: I've tried again the ping command again and I had not lost packets. What will be the problem?

ADSL lines are shared with a lot of other people and with conventional voice telephone calls, and also they deliberately throttle upload speeds. SL needs a constant two way connection between your viewer and the servers with a fair amount of data being sent from your computer to the servers. This is different from something like streaming a movie, where the movie-streaming server needs very little communication from your computer - just enough to tell it when to start and stop the stream. There may be too many people sharing your line and the communication from your computer to the servers gets delayed or lost. This would explain why you can log in early in the day (when fewer people are online) but not later.

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

ADSL lines are shared with a lot of other people and with conventional voice telephone calls, and also they deliberately throttle upload speeds. SL needs a constant two way connection between your viewer and the servers with a fair amount of data being sent from your computer to the servers. This is different from something like streaming a movie, where the movie-streaming server needs very little communication from your computer - just enough to tell it when to start and stop the stream. There may be too many people sharing your line and the communication from your computer to the servers gets delayed or lost. This would explain why you can log in early in the day (when fewer people are online) but not later.

How can I know who is sharing my line? Cuz in my house the connected people is My Sister with his laptop (but she is at the school), My sister again because she got an smartphone and uses its wifi conection and Me. It's rare! because I don't remember any more who shares my line :cattongue:

Theresa Tennyson wrote:

You're sharing the line with everyone who uses the same line going to your phone company and that can be a lot of your neighbors who you've never met.

Then will I view this problem with my phone company?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3980 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.