Has anyone noticed the yellow triangles?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi,

I keep seeing yellow triangles above and around some mesh objects. Usually it happens when I land in a spot, they will show up during a rez then fade, Weird.

I've cleared cache, relogged, still does it. It started today. I'm using FS 4.4. Can't get on the FS group chat to ask about it. I keep getting timed out so I thought I'd ask here.

Has anyone heard or seen anything about this bug? glitch? anomoly?

Thanks,

Jacki

Jacki, not sure where they are are in Firestorm, but go to your Debug Settings: MeshMaxConcurrentRequests. The default is 32 but if you increase this number, you won't see the yellow triangles at all abymore. I set my value to 500 but I suggest you test what value works best for you. :smileyhappy:

(Credit goes to Charolotte Caxton who gave me the trick! :smileywink:)

Thanks, Val. :heart:

Yes, the triangles are the symbol for mesh and that is what you (Jacki) are seeing instead of the actual mesh objects. I use V3 and that's what I used to see sometimes before I turned up my MeshMaxConcurrentRequest.

You said yours fade away though, so maybe they are acting as placeholders until FS rezzes the actual mesh.

Hi! I am a hover text :D

That's sort of half-right.

They're an incomplete mesh object. All are supposed to have several levels of detail, which can be set during the creation process, so that a very simple version with the roughly the right shape can appear first. The yellow might be the default plywood texture.

I don't know if these triangles are a default ultra-low LOD object or a default produced by the upload process, which could have been replaced with something better (even just a box of roughly the right size).

I tried Mesh, when it came out. Things might have changed a bit. I think we're seeing problems at both ends of the LOD scale. Really complicated meshes take a long time to load, and some may be way too complicated. It's those big, complicated, mesh datasets which could mean that increasing MeshMaxConcurrentRequest could make things worse.

The yellow triangles are sprites, not actual 3D objects. It's the same floating icon that is shown for a script error. You can even click on them and get an empty script error floater. It would be nice if viewers could stuff a meaningful error message into that floater.

I've had the same thing happen, but mine were blue ducks, lol.  They appeared briefly when my mesh trees wouldn't rez...only happened with FS viewer, none of the others.  With FS next upgrade, the problem went away and everything rezzed...

I didn't just try mesh, I constantly use, wear and am exposed to it. Like Cerise said, they are not actual objects they are little floating icons, in my case, just like the icon I posted from the viewer, so no plywood texture involved. I have, though, read that having a high MeshMaxConcurrentRequest setting can cause problems but I keep mine high at all times unless I know I am going to be around a lot of people for an extended period of time, just in case my high setting affects their experience negatively. Some people recommend turning it up high until the mesh renders and then back down to a lower setting.

valerie Inshan wrote:

Jacki, not sure where they are are in Firestorm, but go to your Debug Settings: MeshMaxConcurrentRequests. The default is 32 but if you increase this number, you won't see the yellow triangles at all abymore. I set my value to 500 but I suggest you test what value works best for you. :smileyhappy:

(Credit goes to Charolotte Caxton who gave me the trick! :smileywink:)

500!  :smileysurprised:  Always so high Val?

This is what Lette Ponnier (Member of Firestorm Support Team) has to say about MeshMaxConcurrentRequests

Bumping this debug up is, indeed, recommended for helping mesh to appear. However: leaving it at a high number is neither recommended (by us) nor necessary for keeping the mesh rendered. Some people experience higher rates of crashing when this is set to a higher number (over 100 or so). Regardless of whether you're having trouble, though, "requests" refers to how much communication is going on between you and the server, and the more requests are being made, the more it will contribute to sim lag because you're simply giving it more work to do. If there's only one person with their setting this high, the effect will be totally unnoticeable. But if we're talking about 40 people all sending >100 requests to the sim whenever mesh appears, then sad to say, this one will end up contributing to the lag you're all feeling.

[unquote]

Bolding and underlining above mine.

I wanted to share this just for general information.  :matte-motes-nerdy:  :smileywink:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2865 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.