LindeX - Service Must Increase

Steph Catseye

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Marit Huet wrote:

This new TOS is again showing the residents and business owners that developing business in SL is a risky business. [...]

Well, merchants and landlords won't like to hear this, but nobody in their right mind could possibly base any actual RL business on SL alone. LL can switch off the whole grid (and with it all SL businesses)  from one day to another and there's sod all anybody can do about it.

The "economy" is very much not an actual economy. Yes you can trade, yes they do have a currency exchange. But no, it's absolutely not a free market in normal economical terms. You can see that every time they change their ToS or add new land (or whole continents).

Surely it's sad that they cut off all Third Party Exchanges so hastily by shutting down the Risk API and rendering the TPEs inoperable over night. But if law requires them to do so, they can't allow a grace period, because this would only spark a massive amount of equally hasty transactions, which would make it even more difficult for all parties involved to find and track the fraudulent ones (which seems to be the concern).

But at this point it seems to be speculation as to whether the new regulations even affect LL. Maybe they do. Maybe they just offered a good opportunity to claim monopoly, while speculation about the actual reasons continues.

Seeing that LL has EA employees on board now, I expect more restrictions to follow soon. (They have a "reputation")

Anyhow, running solely SL-based businesses is a risky affair, bordering denial. That said, I do feel sorry for the merchants and especially creators, who spent countless man-hours creating wonderful things, and who will now get less money as Lindex always had worse currency exchange rates than TPEs, and Paypal rips off customers with their currency exchange fees and rates once more. For a European creator, a couple of parties cash in and delay on their sales:

L$ -> paypal (several days + fees) US$ -> paypal currency exchange to local currency (instant but sometimes outlandish rates + fees) -> bank account (few days)

It's easy to see how this discourages many people to create/sell stuff in SL, notwithstanding the bitter taste overnight ToS changes like this create. Unless they really are forced to do this by US law, I think LL are shooting themselves into their own feet with this.

@ Rayharris

your post is making a lot of sense but I would argue the point that living based on SL income is a risky business. I don't think it is any more risky as having a regular daytime job. The US Dollar and the Euro are as stable as Lindsay Lohan in a liquor store and it is no longer question "IF" these currencies will collapse, the question is "when" will it happen. If your daytime job was at Lehman brothers you would have thought your income is safe.

If you do certain figures in SL and you can live from it why wouldn't you? Should you stop generating money? Should you shift your efforts to a more "stable" daytime job just in case LL screws up? I don't think this is a serious thinking process to be perfectly honest with you. You harvest the result of your work and just because LL could implode one day you don't stop seeding unless there are clear signs for it.

These law changes by the US Government are an indication of the potential and the strenght rather than pointing to instability.  While you are right that the SL economy is not real and based on fiction... so is the US Economy. The LL economy has 100% of my trust more than any other economy on this planet because there are purchase and selling limits and there will only be as much money around as people who spend it there is no wall street that artificially grows my business into heights where it doesn't belong. The concept of the SL economy is awesome and while I am waiting now for 4 days already for my paypal transfer these new TOS make SL only more stable.

Any business person knows the risks of their business, I don't see my risk increased by putting my eggs into the LL basket.

Sugami Osumi wrote:

Order Request filed on Friday 8:20am, Received funds on Wednesday at 2:30pm As far as I'm concerned the transaction should be instant and it shouldn't matter if its the weekend or not. Other exchange sites were able to do it, why not LL?

I couldn't agree with you more, it should be instant. Having said that, they say that in their TOS that it takes 3-5 business days, for that matter withdrawing on Friday is a bad idea since Saturday and Sunday are no business days.

I received mine today (4th business day) i lost 78 EUR with the paypal currency conversion. Completely unacceptable!

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3969 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.