I bought a Visa Vanilla gift card, and loaded 20 on the card to buy Lindens with.

Reese Wicken

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I just bought the card and loaded 20 on it, I tried to buy Lindens with it but I got a billing error, the cardholders site has a pending amount of 1 dollar, I'm trying to figure out what went wrong. It took the card without any issues, so why is it telling me that it has an error?  No, it didn't tell me the exact error either.

3 answers to this question

Gift Cards, including those backed by one of the companies mentioned below, with very few exceptions are not supported for use in SecondLife financial dealings. 

Accepted currencies and payment methods

You may use the following payment methods with Second Life:

• Visa
  • American Express
  • MasterCard
  • Delta Online
  • JCB
  • Discover (U.S. Residents only)
  • Visa Electron (non-U.S. Residents only)
  • PayPal

You need to use

1)  a full Bank Backed Credit Card account ~ or ~

2) a fully verified  PayPal account backed up with a Full Bank backed Credit Card as a secondary payment method.

WHY?

Because Linden Lab needs to have full payment guaranteed before sending you Lindens [L$ tokens]. Gift cards and unverified PayPal accounts and verified PayPal accounts not backed up with a real world Credit Card can delay by many days fulfillment of the promised amount. Linden Lab grants immediate access to purchased Lindens and does not have a mechanism in place to delay the availability of your ;linden purchases until financial fulfillment has completed.

Additional information from the Knowledgebase 

Visa, MasterCard, and Visa Electron

You may pay in:

• AED, AUD, CAD, CHF, CNY, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HUF, JPY, KRW, MXN, MYR, NOK, NZD, PLN, RUB, SAR, SEK, SGD, THB, TRY, USD, ZAR

American Express

You may pay in 

• AED, AUD, CHF, CNY, CZK, DKK, EUR, GBP, HKD, HRK, HUF, JPY, KRW, MYR, NOK, NZD, PLN, RUB, SAR, SEK, SGD, THB, TRY, USD, ZAR

JCB

You may pay in:

• AUD, CNY, EUR, GBP, HKD, JPY, KRW, MYR, SGD, THB, USD

Discover

You must use US dollars (USD) when paying with Discover.

PayPal

For a complete list of currencies accepted by PayPal, visit their official website and view the page on multiple currencies.

• Like 1

Prepaid cards are hit and miss to a large extent, more miss that hit. Some residents say they have been using Green Dot and Walmart prepaid cards for years while others cannot use them or they may work sporadically. Far as I know from previous threads, Visa Vanilla hasn't worked for probably two years.

It's best to follow Linden Lab's advice on what does work as given by Karen.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3995 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.