password stealing viewer from goonsquad

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

A few days ago someone send me a link to a web forum called goonsqaud. I decided to sign up and ended up downloading on of their viewers called shooperlife. Only minutes after i loggin a guy forced tp me to his sim and stripped off all my clothes,rezzed my inventory on the ground and logged me out with the message "owned by goonsqaud" I quickly removed the client from my pc and tried to login to change my password but it was to late . The hackers already changed the password to my account and email so i end up calling LL and they put the account on hold .

Expected behaviour if you download and install from hackers.

1st mistake - clicking an unknown link

2nd mistake - logging into something - or even worse - installing something

You gave admin permissions to the installer you remember?
I'd delete the operating system and make a new install. In this case I would NOT expect that an antivirus software is able to find or prevent anything.

Nova is right, don't take any chances... wipe your hard drive and reinstall your system.  Then change all your passwords for everything you can think of... you have no idea what that viewer may have infected your system with.

...Dres (Why anyone would think it was a good idea to download and install anything from a squad of goons is beyond my comprehension.)

Umm, their site, sites I should say, make absolutely no bones about being upfront. There is so much documentation and information out there on the web about them, what they do, how they operate and such.

I am going to guess you read nothing before signing up. If you had read, you wouldn't have signed up. The only people that sign up are either A-people like yourself who don't read fine print, medium print or even bold print, or B-people interested in doing exactly what they do.

I'm sorry if you believe that opinion is mean, but it's truthful and sometimes the truth hurts. Very few would ever support what they do. So it's not a matter of being on their side or something. It's a matter of wanting people to take personal responsibility. That's not to say you haven't, obviously you know now that was a bad idea. Don't be surprised if the lab makes you jump through hoops to get the account back, though. I wouldn't complain if they do, it's for your benefit after all. It's also not to say I don't feel a little bad your account was hacked. Because I am human and I do, a little bit. But the rest of me is a reasonable man that says you should always, always, always read the fine print before you click yes, I agree, continue, or whatever other terms they come up with. When we don't, this sort of thing happens. The reason this happens, is that they know there are people who won't read. We make ourselves targets. It doesn't mean we deserve what we get, all the time, but it also doesn't mean we don't deserve any of it. Sometimes, we need a swift kick in the pants. Sometimes those swift kicks are really a boot up the rear end. You won't know beforehand which one you'll get. It's best not to take any chances if you'd prefer your butt stay safe. Especially when there is no reason to NOT be informed of them. There's just way too much information out there, way too much. All readily available, all seconds away from your fingertips. Even on their own site, lol.

If you google the viewers associated with Goonsquad, they are clearly up to no good. The viewers offer griefing and content-theft tools. If that's what drew you to them, then you got what you deserved. Karma can be a b!tch.

If you were just following a link from a so-called friend, then take it as a lesson. Being naive online can cost you. Money privacy and dignity... there's always someone out there ready to take them from you. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but it sounds like you got off lightly.

Kelli May wrote:

If you were just following a link from a so-called friend
, then take it as a lesson. Being naive online can cost you. Money privacy and dignity... there's always someone out there ready to take them from you. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but it sounds like you got off lightly.

hum not sure it was a so called friend.... the link is usually provided in a pop up window when they send their wild spam all over a sim.

Welcome to Second Life Forums,

In addition to advice already given in this thread, if you are the type of person who uses the same password for all/most/many of the other websites you're signed up to, and you used the same password for signing up to goonsquad, you need to get all your passwords changed, and to something unique and different for each site.

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Kelli May wrote:

If you were just following a link from a so-called friend
, then take it as a lesson. Being naive online can cost you. Money privacy and dignity... there's always someone out there ready to take them from you. I'm sorry you had to find out this way, but it sounds like you got off lightly.

hum not sure it was a so called friend.... the link is usually provided in a pop up window when they send their wild spam all over a sim.

I wasn't sure either, that why I said 'IF'.

And if it was from a pop-up window, then it would be even more naive to follow it, surely? I can understand someone might following a recommendation from someone who has befriended them (even though I'd be careful). Following a link from a spamming, potentially griefing, unknown source, and installing something on its say-so is incredibly risky behaviour. 

Trinity Yazimoto wrote:

Beside the official SL viewer only viewers that are on
are allowed in SL .

Other ones are stricktly forbiden to use and now you have a lil guess about why.

i hope LL will be able to fix for you, but i wouldnt expect too much about your inventory or anything else you lost.

Trinity forgive me for being slightly pedantic here but the above isn't accurate although I understand your intent.

The TPV list only lists viewers where the developers agree to abide by the TPV terms and SL TOS and have self certified that they do so.

However, there is nothing that prevents the use of viewers that are NOT on that list as long as they also meet the TPV rules and abide by the SL TOS.

In other words, I am permitted to compile a viewer and use it myself as long as I agree to the terms as set by LL, I can give it to others and they too may use my viewer.  However, I am NOT required to have my viewer listed in the directory in order to be "allowed" as long as it meets the terms set.

It's important to understand that the viewers in the list are self certified by the viewer developer and are not tested or endorsed by LL and that is clearly stated on the TPV listing page.

well yes... ive been using foreshortening to explain... Sorry... i could explain why i did... but i dont think its important here.. 

so yes, you are right, here is what says Ll about TPV :

"You may connect to Second Life using software released by a third-party developer. Linden Lab provides a Policy on Third-Party Viewers to promote a positive and predictable experience for all Second Life Residents. Beware of third-party viewers that are not in the Viewer Directory: they have either declined to self-certify their compliance with Linden Lab policies or been refused for noncompliance with the policies."

ive bold the part about what you mean... this was not pedantic Sassy, just true...

Do not download viewers from Goon Squad, or KingGoon.

These groups are known CopyBotters, and Second Life Account Hackers, In late 2012 One of the people from their site, Hacked my Second Life Account as well as quite a few other accounts from people I know and have been phishing other Merchants in Second Life through fake marketplace links, and cool hack viewers.

Only download viewers from this site, and be sure to read the disclaimer too.

http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Third_Party_Viewer_Directory

Do not click Links in Second Life even from your friends that link to market place unless you are absolute sure to check the web address before putting any information in the login box.

Do not download any of the following viewers.

1. Goon Life
2 Shooped Life
3. Second Life Professional Edition
4. Chocolate Life
5. Cryo Life
6. Phoenix King
7. Ganked Life
8. ILife
9. Unknown Viewer
10. Anti Life

This is just a list of the 10 Last illegal CopyBot I can think of off the top of my head they all possibly contain password loggers and are hacking anyone who installs them.

Also anyone offering viewers over the market place DO Not Buy Them!

Back in 09 You could safely use any of these viewers for the most part but one of the developers went rogue and started to place password loggers in all the viewers on the internet, phish peoples  Second Life accoutns and so on its not worth the risk of loosing your Second Life account, and the reason I have said Linden Lab needs to add IP Verification to protect peoples Second Life accounts incase a viewer does have a md5 password logger.

And to be honest I wouldn't be shocked if one of the official approved TPV's doesnt become compromised before long and lots of accounts get compromised remember the whole Emerald Incident?  Yeah could happen again so the only 100% safe viewer even though its not 100% safe is the Linden Lab viewer,  Nothing is 100% secure but its better than any TPV.

If by any reason you want a viewer with malicious the same tools all these illicit viewers have make sure they offer the source code and its possible to compile your own viewer with your own custom tools, crosshairs, and so on in the viewer not that everyone abuses the tools, or bot for that matter.

In addition with all this said.

GoonSquad & KingGoon Members love to hang around RP sims in Second Life, and New-Comer Hubs to CopyBot avatars, and sadly some RP sim owners allow them to CopyBot and know about it and do nothing its sad, but the moment you see any illegal activity in Second Life, or Hear about it outside of Second Life I would leave the groups and all involvement with the said parties, and avoid the welcome areas that these people like to hang around at. If you look on the goon fourms you will see that some peoples Second Life names are the exact same as their in SL names and its the same person who hangs out around the welcome area I can tell because of the way they post and the way they type in SL.

If you are in doubt of ever joining a new group in Second Life, go to google, and search the group name, and add soemthing like "XXX Name of group" CopyBot" If its a known copybot group that I know of I have exposed it publically on unofficial fourms to avoid LL TOS I would avoid these for your own safety but do as you wish all evidence reguarding such has also been publically noted in many cases I can't post links here due to TOS, but others I know also do the same thing its a good way to avoid getting involved with such people and taking a stand to support the merchants you love.

Report all Theft, and Phishing Attempts in Second Life too, even people you see wearing stolen content.  However confronting a botter could be bad and lead to griefer attacks on your avatar including grid wide attacks which cant be stopped easily.

Im sorry correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that a copybotting team ? Why would you even dare to download anything from them, the only way you would actually want to download something from them is to copybot. I mean it just doesn't make any sense to why you would even what the viewer in the first place. Especially if you type into google goonsquad secondlife, the first thing you see are griefering complaints. Sorry but no sympathy for you. Sounds like you were either doing something sneaky and got bit in the butt. Or you're just really not that bright to be honest.

RiiCassidy wrote:

Im sorry correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't that a copybotting team ? Why would you even dare to download anything from them, the only way you would actually want to download something from them is to copybot. I mean it just doesn't make any sense to why you would even what the viewer in the first place. Especially if you type into google goonsquad secondlife, the first thing you see are griefering complaints. Sorry but no sympathy for you. Sounds like you were either doing something sneaky and got bit in the butt. Or you're just really not that bright to be honest.

There are other reasons for downloading illegla viewers  beyond the use of CopyBot, or Theft and I will explain them.

In the past 2009-2011 it was impossible to tell who was griefing simulators with sound spam, asset crashing, and so on, with a CopyBot viewer you could do this, and this was before firestorm finally introduced the asset view feature which allows you to see who is playing a sound but removed the CopyBot part from it which is a great tool I loved.

The other use is Griefing, with using a Proxy, or VPN server to hide your IP you can create as many accounts as you wish and constantly grief by using a illicit viewer to spoof your hard drive seiral, and MAC address sent to Linden Lab, another feature I found quite useful for somethings when it came to dealing with griefers I wont go into a lot of the details on this however.

The viewers are now considered illegal under the new TOS,  however until Linden Lab actually restricts all TPV's there are going to be griefers using illegal clients for malcious uses like ripping off merchants, crashing sims, griefing sandbox, heck I checked out google and saw that PN  and all the griefer sites are becomming more and more active again which isn't good.

KingGoon,  is one of the biggest theft merchants in Second Life a lot of people from this place who release the illcit viewers constnatly rip off people I know in SL who work hard to create their content, while there is legit use for backing up inventory, and legit uses other than theft they are abusers thinking everything should be free and need to be shut down.

Because of the way the CopyBot  is a lot of people see it as a bad thing and that anyone who has ever used a CopyBot  has abused a bunch of merchants or whatever which isn't always true I know of a lot of people in Second Life including people who are good friends with merchants right now who have used viewers not authroized by the TPV with the ability to CopyBot, even made the viewers themselves and they are popular well known scripters, so when it comes down to it to me its a matter of abuse of the bot that really needs to be under control not just instantly saying everyone is guilty at first sight.

However still I would not trust any viewer from Goon Squad, KingGoon, or PN, as it puts your account at risk.

As for personally taking out the trash I know who it was who compromised my account, It was the goons, and to be specific it was the person who had 5 copybotting accounts ripped off many merchants, made friends with friends I knew and when I found out about it I personally reported it, and it wasn't the fact they just had a bot but it was the fact they ripped off over 20+ different merchants I knew of, and then a few months following tried to frame me by sending out a big notecard of stolen content with my name on it, and finally the only way to get revenge was actually hacking the account, but they didn't get anywhere really did what virtual damage by deleting my inventory, well im still here they failed.

THe only way to fix this issue is to restrict all TPV's and for Linden Lab to add more security, secondary passwords, and require their viewer only to connect to the grid no other viewers can connect anymore but a lot of people wouldn't like this although I say why the hell not if LL can give us a viewer like FireStorm now then yeah I wouldn't mind loosing TPV's it gives merchants knowing they can't be CopyBot anymore, gives us better protection from account hacks and so on.

blueangels4sl wrote:

Bla Bla... Im a thief that tried to use a viewer to steal other peoples creations. But instead I had all my stuff stolen!!! So I came here to cry and hopefully find sympathy. Because I'm a good kind of thief, not like those lowlifes that stole from me. I only steal from people I don't know.

LOL got what you deserved. If you were able to DL the viewer from Goonsquad on

their forum. You seen what it can do. In the Viewer section download area its

even called copybot viewers.

GothGirl Demonia wrote:

There are other reasons for downloading 
illegla viewers

beyond the use of 
CopyBot, or Theft
and I will explain them.

No. There aren't. There are NO reasons within the bounds of decent behavior to download a copybot viewer (the sole exception being someone from LL doing so to gain intelligence on defeating it). Unless you are an employee of Linden Lab, which I very much doubt, using a copybot viewer AT ALL makes you one with the Goon Squad and the supposed protectors like the Justice League.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3996 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.