Flycam with mouse and keyboard?

Gwyneth Llewelyn

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

After trying all sorts of external controllers — Wiimote, Nanchuck, two Wacom tablets, even an Apple Mouse — all of which are claimed to work as "Joystick FlyCam" — the results were quite uniformly disappointing: NOTHING WORKS. :smileyfrustrated:

However, a few very old tutorials claim that you can use FlyCam without a joystick, i.e. just using keyboard & mouse. I'd be more than happy with that, to be honest. If it worked.

Not only the options for turning on "Joystick FlyCam" are off, but nothing on the "Devices" panel is active.

So, how to enable non-joystick FlyCam? Is it a Debug Setting somewhere?

19 answers to this question

I have zero experience with FlyCam (or with joysticks), so I don't have words of personal wisdom to share.  The only SL resource that I'm aware of is the wiki entry at http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/Joystick_Flycam which has had no modifications since 2011 until --- surprisingly -- last Sunday.  You might try contacting Zion Tristan, who made that change.  Maybe he knows something.

Flycam works very well with the Logitech Attack 3 joystick once it is set up correctly. You can still buy the Attack 3 on Ebay or Amazon. Don't pay more than $30. This is my setup for this joystick:

Joystick – Enable Check – Logitech Attack 3 Joystick
Joystick – 3D  Uncheck
Joystick – Both Avatar & FlyCam Checked, possibly only check FlyCam if that is all you want.

Joystick X = Sliding sideways is disabled with -1 mapping.
Joystick Y = Helicoptering straight up and down is disabled with -1 mapping.
Joystick Z = Axis 2  moving forward (engine) scale 3.00 when flying, dead zone 0.15 for both flying and avatar.
Joystick Pitch = Axis 1
Joystick Yaw = Axis 0
Joystick Roll = -1 disabled.
Joystick Zoom = -1 disabled.

Hi. Yes you can use the mouse and keyboard if you're just looking to help with depth-of-field photography issues.

After a lot of searching I found this in Firestorm:

1) Go to cameratools -->> 3D Mouse tab -->> Enable 3D mouse (Doesn't require a 3D mouse !)

2) Advanced menu -->> Shortcuts -->> Enable Flycam

3) Shift+Alt+F to use

Happy shooting ! :)

Edited by bluemoon11
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, bluemoon11 said:

Hi. Yes you can use the mouse and keyboard if you're just looking to help with depth-of-field photography issues.

After a lot of searching I found this in Firestorm:

1) Go to cameratools -->> 3D Mouse tab -->> Enable 3D mouse (Doesn't require a 3D mouse !)

2) Advanced menu -->> Shortcuts -->> Enable Flycam

3) Shift+Alt+F to use

Happy shooting ! :)

I'm really glad you necrod this post actually, because I didn't know this worked on Firestorm.
Thanks!

So, using this method, you can set the DOF focus point to always be under the mouse cursor (without needing to alt+click to set the focus point, which will also annoyingly  reframe the view) without needing to have a 3D mouse/spacenav in use, which is something that has always bugged me!

<3

On 1/1/2018 at 7:14 PM, Lindal Kidd said:

I think that cat is on Ritalin.

Depends on the cat.

I was on Ritalin briefly when young. Initially diagnosed as a "precocious" brat, after taking it for a few weeks my parents decided that I'd actually been a "precious" brat and looked for other ways to deal with me. Ritalin did suppress my appetite and impulsivity, but not enough to make me wait for milk with cookies in hand.

I don't think it's Ritalin. I don't think it's waiting for milk. I don't think it's stoned on pot (because munchies).

I'm gonna guess Rolig is reading the cat a bedtime store. She's that good.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 2303 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.