Recent TOS changes cripples not just 3rd party L$ exchange, but creators business.

FadeOut Razorfen

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

According to the few people I've spoken to, its not lack of access to paypal that is the problem, its the fact that Paypal demands that your account is backed up with a CC. Not every country in the world embraces the credit card revolution, many Europeans just don't have a CC, and for 2 of my dearest SL friends it's unrealistically expensive to own one just to play a game with.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pamela Galli wrote:

Does Paypal only demand a CC from non US countries?  I did several searches and looked on the Paypal site and all they mention is linking to a bank account.  I don't have any CC link.  

With regards to the UK and France I know you don't need a credit card to have a Paypal account. Paypal just needs to be linked and verified to an active bank account and that is it.

I never understood why LL backed third party exchanges.. Why should they cover the actions of a non affiliated company?

I only buy from LL. I have never sold L$, not because i didn't make the sales, i would rather keep the money in SL and use it to do my part to keep the merchants i like going. I did not join SL with the thought that it would replace RL for work. Any money i make in SL stays there. i suppose if i made hundreds of thousands of L$ i would cash out some, but until then, i keep it in SL.

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

I never understood why LL backed third party exchanges.. Why should they cover the actions of a non affiliated company?

I only buy from LL. I have never sold L$, not because i didn't make the sales, i would rather keep the money in SL and use it to do my part to keep the merchants i like going. I did not join SL with the thought that it would replace RL for work. Any money i make in SL stays there. i suppose if i made hundreds of thousands of L$ i would cash out some, but until then, i keep it in SL.

Your situation is definitely one where no complaints really would be felt. You aren't cashing out. Honestly if I was only buying then I wouldn't have issue either. But for those drawing several hundred thousand linden every month, it's a major issue. I really don't even have an issue with it running completely though SL...what I have issue with is them pretending that it takes them a week due to security measures when it's really all about profit. They could most definitely set up security measures and practices that would take practically every bit of security needed into account. And get us our money immediately...or even just within 24 hours if they really felt the need.

Hot of the press from the Vitwox home page......

2013-05-09: UPDATE on changes in Linden Lab's TOS

Linden Lab has recently changed their Terms of Service. Under the new rules, we will no longer be able to offer our service to Second Life residents. Linden Lab insists that our in-world terminals (ATMs) have to be removed.

This means that we can currently not accept Linden Dollars from Second Life or pay Linden Dollars to Second Life. Other virtual currencies are not affected.

------------------

So if you have a stash of  L$s  sitting in an exchange either waiting to be sold or just banked then I guess they are gone now for good. I wonder how many millions of Lindens will be written off because of this action and how many residents are going to find themselves out of pocket.

Not to mention a number of  folks who will be added to the dole que.

I don't understand why LL didn't give advance notice and a cut off date to the community - well actually I do but stating it here would require distinctly unparliamentary lanquage and get me banned.

^L^

Porky Gorky wrote:

Pamela Galli wrote:

Does Paypal only demand a CC from non US countries?  I did several searches and looked on the Paypal site and all they mention is linking to a bank account.  I don't have any CC link.  

With regards to the UK and France I know you don't need a credit card to have a Paypal account. Paypal just needs to be linked and verified to an active bank account and that is it.

As a Canadian, my Paypal account is linked and Verified to my bank account ... however, BEFORE it was, when LL was refusing my paypal (cuz I don't own any credit cards), I had to use VirWoX for over a year ... now that's no longer an option, I'll be finding out soon enough if my PP account (now Verified) will work  ... -fingers crossed-

And why doesn't Virwox give them back? Wouldn't they have to have a SL account that holds all of the L$? Have that Av send the money back to the original people.. I am sure that if they told LL they needed a week or two to straighten things out thye would have no issues.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Forbes is projecting now that virtual currency will be on the IRS radar for specific regulation if it isn't already.

Good. It's long overdue and makes the playing field more even.

Anyone that is making enough L$ to generate enough real money to "cash out" should be declaring it to their counties TAX officials. If not, they shouldn't be cashing out but instead, putting it back into the SL economy.

That way, there is still an incentive to create and sell content because they are saving money by not having to buy virtual currency in order to purchase other peoples content and /or services in SL.

But to make enough to actually convert that to real hard cash and not declare it means they have an unfair advantage over their immediate competitors. 

WOW.

This is bad. I was just reading another thread were people were claiming they hadn't used LindeX for years and used various other exchange services instead because they were sick of the waiting you had to deal with when selling through Lindex.

I have always used Lindex because I trust them but I agree, that's truly awful to just pull the plug like that with no notice means quite literally hundreds of thousands of real dollars have just "poofed" into thin air.

That said, if the people who cashed out those L$ are not declaring it to their countries TAX and employment officials (Which I suspect the majority don't) then I have no sympathy for them. 

If they DO then that's just awful but again,  I stick with Lindex because its the safest option at the end of the day. 

Drake1 Nightfire wrote:

same here... but on another hand... if SL economy is badly harmed by what is happening, every of us will feel the consequences imho

Lasher Oh wrote:

Hot of the press from the Vitwox home page......

2013-05-09: UPDATE on changes in Linden Lab's TOS

Linden Lab has recently changed their
Terms of Service
. Under the new rules, we will no longer be able to offer our service to Second Life residents. Linden Lab insists that our in-world terminals (ATMs) have to be removed.

This means that we can currently not accept Linden Dollars from Second Life or pay Linden Dollars to Second Life. Other virtual currencies are not affected.

------------------

So if you have a stash of  L$s  sitting in an exchange either waiting to be sold or just banked then I guess they are gone now for good. I wonder how many millions of Lindens will be written off because of this action and how many residents are going to find themselves out of pocket.

Not to mention a number of  folks who will be added to the dole que.

I don't understand why LL didn't give advance notice and a cut off date to the community - well actually I do but stating it here would require distinctly unparliamentary lanquage and get me banned.

^L^

"This means that we can currently not accept Linden Dollars from Second Life or pay Linden Dollars to Second Life. Other virtual currencies are not affected."

They are wise not to accept NEW buy or sell orders.

But nothing is stopping them from returning anything "banked" with them.

Lexi there are very Few Countries in europe that dosent accept paypal, i live in portugal for example, i got paypal and it used to work, not surenowbecause i crated a  Moneybookers(skrillCredit card) so i could cash out trought virwox and 5 minutes later   get the money at nay ATMin the world, now i guess ima haveto cash out using LindenX antought i got a question  i see some restrictions on how much i can  withdraw and deposit  how do i lift those bans

Lasher Oh wrote:

Which is why we needed a brand new word:

lindened

verb: Screwed up, botched, ruined. Something is said to be "lindened" when a situation is made worse by an action that was intended to make things better.

This word originated in the Second Life community in response to the chronic troubles following Second Life upgrades.

My brakes were squeaking a bit so I got them worked on - now they are completely lindened - it won't stop at all.

From: http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=lindened

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Lasher Oh wrote:

Which is why we needed a brand new word:

lindened

verb: Screwed up, botched, ruined. Something is said to be "lindened" when a situation is made worse by an action that was intended to make things better.

This word originated in the Second Life community in response to the chronic troubles following Second Life upgrades.

My brakes were squeaking a bit so I got them worked on - now they are completely lindened - it won't stop at all.

OMG Dart  !!!!!

yes ! we definitely needed this word !!!!

Brillant idea !!!!

How obvious was it and noone thought to this before you today !!!!

i will definetly adopt your word...

So what will be the verb ? To linden ?

Thankfully I can't take credit for defining the way LL can screw up the most basic of concepts.

We can rule out inbreeding, so I'm going to have to chalk it up to a substance abuse problem with LL management or some new form of virus that eats away at the common sense portion of the brain.

Some Lindens have managed to escape un-infected by the D-Virus and have gone on to start building Cloud Party, so there is still hope.

Dartagan Shepherd wrote:

Thankfully I can't take credit for defining the way LL can screw up the most basic of concepts.

We can rule out inbreeding, so I'm going to have to chalk it up to a substance abuse problem with LL management or some new form of virus that eats away at the common sense portion of the brain.

Some Lindens have managed to escape un-infected by the D-Virus and have gone on to start building Cloud Party, so there is still hope.

lmao.... you know already im prone to think its more a substance abuse problem than a virus.. althought ive never thought to the virus possiblity and well... it can be also possible..

nevertheless, the substance abuse pb remain something pretty amazing, bec on top to make them act like they do, it looks to be contagious, bec when i look at how they act, i feel like i have taken something highly hallucinogen....:smileyvery-happy: 

A lot of people outside US can not use LindeX or verify their age!

After SL stoped the secure API for 3rd parties to pay out money and gave a 30 day deadline to all 3rd to leave SL, the most 3rd closed their SL-services, or will do it in the next hours.

Whatever you think that credit card or PayPal will do it: It does not work for most Europeans and Asians and lot of people outside US to pay or get money from/by LindeX !!!

And this will happen:

1st soon a lot of people can not pay their rentals
2nd landowners give up their land
3rd new residents will not find a way to buy things and
4th creators will sell less and create less
5th new residents will find less fun ...
2525 ... SL will have some US residents and a few lucky outside residents who will think: "What was the fun here? ..."

LindeX has to rework their payment methods QUICKLY!

Age verification was just an example for things SL wants but people can not do due to some SL reasons.

The point is: Many people HAD to use 3rd, because there was no other way. Most of them will be lost soon as SL-customers in any way. But I forgot to write:

LindeX has to rework their payment methods QUICKLY or bring back 3rd again!

The new TOS  will re-write your hard drive. Not only that, but it will scramble any disks that are even close to your computer. It will recalibrate your refrigerator's coolness setting so all your ice cream goes melty. It will demagnetize the strips on all your credit cards, screw up the tracking on your television and use subspace field harmonics to scratch any CD's you try to play.         

It will give your ex-girlfriend your new phone number. It will mix Kool-aid into your fishtank. It will drink all your beer and leave its socks out on the coffee table when there's company coming over. It will put a dead kitten in the back pocket of your good suit pants and hide your car keys when you are late for work.         

The new TOS  will make you fall in love with a penguin. It will give you nightmares about circus midgets. It will pour sugar in your gas tank and shave off both your eyebrows while dating your girlfriend behind your back and billing the dinner and hotel room to your Discover card.          It will seduce your grandmother. It does not matter if she is dead, such is the power of The new TOS , it reaches out beyond the grave to sully those things we hold most dear.         

It moves your car randomly around parking lots so you can't find it. It will kick your dog. It will leave libidinous messages on your boss's voice mail in your voice! It is insidious and subtle. It is dangerous and terrifying to behold. It is also a rather interesting shade of mauve.         

The new TOS  will give you Dutch Elm disease. It will leave the toilet seat up. It will make a batch of Methanphetamine in your bathtub and then leave bacon cooking on the stove while it goes out to chase gradeschoolers with your new snowblower.         

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3964 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.