Where do people hangout?

Lara Coorara

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Hi all -

Ive been on and off SL since '06 and the only way Ive been able to successfully find friends is by engaging in an RP (i.e. Gor). I kinda want to avoid that for now and just want to make some friends to hangout with.

Im having a hard time figuring out where people go to meet friends on here? Ive gone to a few clubs but everyone seems to be stuck in IMs and unwilling to talk back to me. Every group ive encourtered also seems to be very cliquey and unwelcoming :(

So yeah...where can i meet some cool people to hang out with?

~
Lara

I am quite opposite. I can meet new people easily in the groups I join or places I go. But it is quantity versus quality. You meet a hundred people and make one good connection. So meeting more and more people statistically increases your chances, but doesnt necessarily enrichen the experience. 

Besides gor, and dance clubs there are other places people go to meet each other (beaches, streets, etc..) but most of the time people go and wait there have expectations in adult nature. It doesn't mean you can't still make friends in those places. If you are purely looking for friendships though, best way is to Have a Hobby. If you are sailing for example, hang around in a marina,  join a sailing group, enter races and if you are outgoing you can meet new people sharing your hobby in no time. 

Otherwise I don't think there is one magical spot where all the friendship wishes come true.  

Hi and welcome back to SL. 

My first suggestion is to beef up your profile.  A lot of people will look at it for icebreakers or to see if they have anything in common with you. Your's doesn't say much about you other than you RP.  What other kinds of things do you like to do in SL?  What are your interests?  What are you looking for in a friend?  Put a Pic in there of yourself.  In other words show what an interesting person you are as interesting people attract interest.

You don't have to give RL info, but it is helpful to know when you are generally on and at least a broad age range.  It doesn't make a lot of difference, but personally I find I have a closer connection to someone that is at least in my generation because it gives a reference point of shared experience and not so far out of my time that I know that we can at least spend more than a few minutes together.

You may want to edit you post and add these kinds of things too, so that people can give you better suggestions or even get together with you to see if there is a potential friendship connection.

Lara Coorara wrote:

haha....seriously. Im just wandering around...Ive been here for years and still its an enigma to me

And that is one of the few things which, no matter how old you are, will remain an enigma for many, if not most. Places come and go, people come and go... trends change, people in general change, as does this world... not to mention, you change too, and what once seemed so cool to you, doesn't anymore.

I agree with Azanor. While there's lots of places to hangout, even the most crowded and cheerful of them won't necessarily appeal to you, and that 'fish out of water' sensation isn't likely going to help you feel comfortable with the people around you enough to, for example, randomly enter an ongoing public chat conversation to 'enter their circle'.

So, as good a place as any to find yourself likely nice hangouts for you, would be the Editor's Picks, where you can find, categorized by thematics, many places -some of them new- you might like.

You're always welcome to come to Coastal Castaways and hang out.  My roomies and I are always looking for some new friends.  No role playing, but just some good laughs.  Virtual dancing, Greedy, Fishing, Whatever.  We have it all on our land and just need to find a group of people to share it with. 

Feel free to stop by anytime.  We're not always on but we try to be on everyday in the afternoons and evenings.

http://maps.secondlife.com/secondlife/Watchman/63/209/21

Hope to see you soon.  :)

D-Lyte aka Faith Fromund

, best way is to Have a Hobby. If you are sailing for example, hang around in a marina,  join a sailing group, enter races and if you are outgoing you can meet new people sharing your hobby in no time. 

Otherwise I don't think there is one magical spot where all the friendship wishes come true.  

I so agree with this one!

I went into aviation some time ago and met people very quickly. Sharing an interest is anyway a good basis for a potential friendship. If you are looking for friends and friends of adult nature, the nude beaches are a great place.

A very nice, busy place with friendly people is: Turtle Beach!

Due to various reasons, SL often feels empty, but it's really not.

Most locations in SL have slow hours and busy hours. and not all of them have the same slow and busy time periods. 

Rather than looking for a busy sim to hang out in, I've always found the best way to meet people and get people together is to join a lot of groups along your interests, and a number of sims you enjoy (whether for the layout, the ambience, or even just because of the colours used on the wallpaper) and reach out to people in your groups when you want to hang out and meet people.

Of course, it's generally impolite to advertise sims in another location's group, so I keep this to sims without their own official location within SL. I also try and keep the locations and groups relevant to each other.

For example, I'll go to one of my favourite fantasy themed locations and open up several fantasy groups I'm apart of to say, "Hi! I know this great fantasy themed spot! I'm there now, who wants to join me?" and post an SLURL to my location.

Sometimes no one shows up. Sometimes it turns into a spontaneous party/RP event/chat session. I often meet new people this way, and have even discovered new places to hang out from others doing the same.

In addition to all of the suggestions, I think checking out Live Events is also a great way for finding new friends. Most of the time, if you make it in time, you'll find a lot of people to chat with and explore cultures and dig into your interests.

Some times you should be the Big Mama and introduce friends to each other. This will certainly increase the chances of having a cool group of friends to have fun with.

If you find a cool place, just open the friends list and find someone to join you. :matte-motes-smile:

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3999 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.