I have the textures , how should I present them for purchase?

Neen Zenovka

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I have been away from SL for a couple years and during that time I have been producing fully seamless textures for another purpose, however, It sort of struck me that my patterns might be useful in SL as well. I would like to sell them for clothing and general use but I was wondering how you clothing creators want them produced, I'm very vague on how premissions need to be set up for texture packs and also what sort of price is fair nowadays. I can provide a link to my pattern studio for the Sims 3 so you can see the sort of thing I make

Any advice would be fab xxx

If you're intending to sell them to content creators, they need to have full permissions - copy/mod/transfer. Otherwise, they are pretty much useless on the commercial front. 

In terms of pricing, you should visit other texture shops in SL to see how compareable ones are priced. Bearing in mind that just because they are being sold at a certain  price doesn't mean they are actually selling. That said, you're going to want to make your upload fees back plus some for your time/investment so those are things to consider as well.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your reply!

I'll see about making a start!

Here's my sims 3 stuff which are essentially going to be similar to what I intend to produce, also I was thinking a grey scale image in each tintable by the clothier plus maybe matching co-ordinates in a pack

http://www.thesims3.com/userExchange.html?selectedAsstType=all&persona=RockChick

And these are some examples of my patterns on Sims 3 clothing so you get the rough idea of what they mght be like with SL clothing

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151314177965895&set=a.10151313991685895.1073741828.520895894&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151314178515895&set=a.10151313991685895.1073741828.520895894&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151314179240895&set=a.10151313991685895.1073741828.520895894&type=3&theater

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151314181015895&set=a.10151313991685895.1073741828.520895894&type=3&theater

I woulnd't buy a texture template kit without a download link to the layered files (with the elements on different layers, like the wrinkle shadows, the highlights, the edging, the body-shape shadow/high lights, the main fabric, etc).

I don't think tinted grey scale is really up to standard these days.  You can tell it's tinted grey scale and even if you alter it in an external editor, there's no control over individual elements.  You need the layered files to fine tune and finesse things like shading to be able to recolor and change textures properly.  Otherwise the outcome is just not  really market-quality in my view.

You need to size your textures to 1024x1024, 512x512 or 256x256 pixels.  Make the size the lowest you can without losing detail as the larger the size the more lag it will cause when viewed in world.  Clothing textures should be 512x512.  You will see them at 1024x1024 but when the designer imports the texture back into SL as part of clothing, SL will resize it to 512x512.

As a creator I generally only buy seamless textures so I can control the scale of the pattern.  However I will buy some textures, such as pillow tops, that are not seamless if I really like them and don't need to worry about repeats for the use I will be making of them.

If you are selling clothing textures that can be applied directly to an avatar to make clothes, then be sure they fit the SL avatar.  There are clothing templates available for free in the Wiki you can use to do this.

Definitely make them full perm or they are useless to creators.  You can make up a note card that restricts how the textures are used, such as the buyer is not allowed to sell them as is, they must be part of a larger creation, that they cannot be given away for free etc.  The notecard should be available for customers to look at in your store prior to purchase.  If you are selling on MP put the text of the notecard in the product description.  Take a look on MP at the terms various texture artists sell their texture for as well as the prices. 

You can sell them as individual textures or in related groups as texture packs or both.  If you sell them in world there are texture vendors you can get to help you do this. Some texture vendors allow you to put a pack in them and sell them as a pack as well as individually.

Thank you so much Peach and Amethyst for your replies, really helpful to know what you would expect and look for so I thank you both so much for your info :) I will be looking to do seamless textures only as that is what I am good at producing and these can be used for all kinds of projects.

I am going to be referring back to the advice on this thread as I set things up.

As a clothing designer, I would only purchase seamless textures that are 1024 by 1024 or bigger. They have to be full perms so that I can use them in my designs. The only other piece of advice I can give you is to NOT undervalue your work by pricing too low.

It will be great to have another texture designer on the grid. Welcome!

mtwtfss71 wrote:

As a clothing designer, I would only purchase seamless textures that are 1024 by 1024 or bigger. They have to be full perms so that I can use them in my designs. The only other piece of advice I can give you is to NOT undervalue your work by pricing too low.

It will be great to have another texture designer on the grid. Welcome!

Thank you so much for the warm welcome xx I will certainly try to consider the sizes maybe offering both the larger and smaller textures for each design so people can have the option. Shouldn't be too hard!

I think my problem would be pricing so I will have to look into that carefully. I'm not sure if you saw my example pics above , would be interested in your first impressions

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4001 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.