Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
ChicByTrinity

sim restarts unusually, weird things happen

Recommended Posts

I often see my sim restarted by someone (no idea who) and then it's usually inaccessible for 15-30 minutes, but it's not red on the map, AND I always see one person in there. o.OBut I see no one there if I restart it by myself, and then it usually takes 2-5 minutes to get back online.

Oh, and I usually lose things I built (and building progress) about 30-60 minutes prior to that strange restart I mentioned at first. And then I have to re-build that stuff again using my own memory.

 

I also saw this topic (archive)

http://community.secondlife.com/t5/General-Discussions/Region-restart-risk/td-p/398267

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What you are experiencing doesnt seems like a sim restart made by a simowner, but like a rolling restart that affect all the region and made by LL. 

i would be usefull to know on what region your land is located. They used to play a lot with Magnum region during the latest autumn and i experienced exactly the same than you.

For some reasons, if a region is experiencing bugs, they may restart the servers many times for fix.

Till you are not sure this is fixed totally, better to not rezz anything that is no copy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well so that s it.

obvioulsy , i dont know why, they choosed Magnum as a toy for their test... last october and november have been a really nightmare, with some days with at least 10/15 rolling restarts. Then almost every weeks we had new bugs after the rolling restart day... my simowners became a lil crazy with this bec then they started to make sim restarts at the same rythm lol.. (i have scripted devices that record for me what is happening on my land, and i can see when its a sim restart and when its a region restart)..

so well, yes we cant do anything, since they decided Magnum will be they re new toy.... But if one day i have to move for another land, the thing that is really sure, is that i will avoid Magnum region.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"Current simulator: Second Life RC Magnum 13.04.29.274986"

This crap may end in the future, although there's no way of knowing when. I hope RC stands for Release Candidate just like with software, it's after Beta and before the stable (final) release, and that means they're possibly gonna drop that "RC" soon, and maybe find another RC toy to play with. It's purely my speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


ChicByTrinity wrote:

I often see my sim restarted by someone (no idea who) and then it's usually inaccessible for 15-30 minutes, but it's not red on the map, AND I always see one person in there. o.OBut I see no one there if I restart it by myself, and then it usually takes 2-5 minutes to get back online.

Oh, and I usually lose things I built (and building progress) about 30-60 minutes prior to that strange restart I mentioned at first. And then I have to re-build that stuff again using my own memory.

 

I also saw this topic (archive)


If this is an Estate SIM you (or the Estate Owner) can request it be moved to Main Channel.

At a minimum, if your SIM is going off line when there are no rolling restarts or other maintenance mentioned on Grid Status Report you can use this Sim Restart Logger (pops) to log when these "restarts" are happening and file a support ticket with that info. 

You'd think that LL would see when an individual SIM is having trouble but they apparently don't.  My SIM kept going off line and after filing a support ticket they came and fixed it.

The fact that you are losing work an hour after you did indicates these are not restarts.  The system is supposed to save the SIM State before the restart occurs.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:

The fact that you are losing work an hour after you did indicates these are not restarts.  The system is supposed to save the SIM State before the restart occurs.

 

it indicates they are not sim restarts done by simowners but server restart done by LL ... this is why they warn pp to not rezz anything that is not copy before any rolling restart etc...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Trinity Yazimoto wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

The fact that you are losing work an hour after you did indicates these are not restarts.  The system is supposed to save the SIM State before the restart occurs.

 

it indicates they are not sim restarts done by simowners but server restart done by LL ... this is why they warn pp to not rezz anything that is not copy before any rolling restart etc...

Interesting point.  Do all RC SIMs share the same Servers?  Or can a server have a mix of Main and RC Sims?  If when they are doing scheduled restarts, even if it is the entire Server being restarted I still get the warning the SIM is being restarted.

My understanding from following the Server threads is that the SIM State is still supposed to be saved when rolling restarts occur.  The caution to not rez No Copy objects when they are doing them was simply an extra safety measure. 

The OP knows that their SIM is going off line.  Outside of getting the warning is their any other way to know that it is intentionally being restarted?  All I knew when I had my problems was that I found myself disconnected.  No Viewer Crash or Warning. Just that everything client side had quit working.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Perrie Juran wrote:


Trinity Yazimoto wrote:


Perrie Juran wrote:

The fact that you are losing work an hour after you did indicates these are not restarts.  The system is supposed to save the SIM State before the restart occurs.

 

it indicates they are not sim restarts done by simowners but server restart done by LL ... this is why they warn pp to not rezz anything that is not copy before any rolling restart etc...

Interesting point.  Do all RC SIMs share the same Servers?  Or can a server have a mix of Main and RC Sims?  If when they are doing scheduled restarts, even if it is the entire Server being restarted I still get the warning the SIM is being restarted.

My understanding from following the Server threads is that the SIM State is still supposed to be saved when rolling restarts occur.  The caution to not rez No Copy objects when they are doing them was simply an extra safety measure. 

The OP knows that their SIM is going off line.  Outside of getting the warning is their any other way to know that it is intentionally being restarted?  All I knew when I had my problems was that I found myself disconnected.  No Viewer Crash or Warning. Just that everything client side had quit working.

 

Ok Perrie.

So firstly, about the lost of no copy objects. From my experience, and this happened several times, everytime i lost something no copy after a restart, it has ALWAYS been after one that LL did..  My simowner restart my sim everyday, at least one time, it can happens that they do it twice. And as i said in a post before.. when LL got mad in october and november after the lauching of the pathfinding and so while they were restarting the region sometimes 10 times a day, my simowners went surely crazy aswell bec they restarted it tons of time. So at least i have 1 restart per day... i never, but never never lost anything during a sim restart done by my simowners.

Secondly, how do i know if its LL or my simowners who are doing the restart.... Firstly, several clues .... my simowners always warn me before doing it.. i have the lil pop up message.... LL NEVER warn me before a restart... never...its not always a restart however.. sometimes, the server just shut down..but even for usual weekly rolling restarts i never had any warning. Secondly... my scripted devices doesnt act the same if its simowner restart or if its a LL restart... and i have different messages from diff devices and to finish, my vendor server doesnt tell me the same thing. Thirdly, ive been already thousant times to my simowner's office to complain... and it was not them... they dealed with LL indeed for they reopen the sim, but we had to wait LL fix anyway.

So yes, you can know who is playing with the server button.. just go to your simlandlord and ask... i guess that mine is enough honnest to tell me when its a problem caused by them or caused by LL.  (on top hes a known forumer here lol). I also had a good friend that worked for them and i have no reason to trust him..

On the other hand.... from my experience since 4 years in SL, LL are pro team for cliking the wrong button... they are talented for doing mess everytime they fix somth or they improve smth or they launch smth...so guess who i trust...

you can had to this.. that during the period from october till february.. after every weekly rolling restart Magnum region had bugs and not tiny ones.... you can check the server thread... We have been lucky bec Maestro has always answered there to our question... but often.. the answer was " it will be fixed next weeek at the next rolling restart"... so one week with a bug...then the next week it was a new bug.. and on and on and on....

So yes... im prone to think that Magnum is their tester region... they test everything on it and do not care what we are experiencing there... this is why, if one day i have to move to another land.. i will for sure avoid Magnum region like if it was hell itself.

you can ask Darrius.. he s on Magnum Region and experienced the same hell as me in the last autumn.

and i dont think the C in RC is for candidate, but for Chanel...

ETA : i forgot to develop the "it's not forcelly a restart"... sometimes region crashes bec server crashes... So it can also be this and it explain that object are not saved... but the pb.. is that Magnum servers crash more often than the normal...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I forgot to mention one thing -- I always get notifications about sim restart after x minutes. That long restart gives me 5 minutes (usually) and when I (or estate owner) restarts it, then I have 2 minutes to get my ass off the area. I rent the entire sim (15k prims) so the estate owner doesn't do restarts there anymore, at least not to my knowledge. It's all my land, sharing with no one else.

And when I lost my changes, it also applied to terraforming. I had to do that again, too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


ChicByTrinity wrote:

I forgot to mention one thing -- I always get notifications about sim restart after x minutes. That long restart gives me 5 minutes (usually) and when I (or estate owner) restarts it, then I have 2 minutes to get my ass off the area. I rent the entire sim (15k prims) so the estate owner doesn't do restarts there anymore, at least not to my knowledge. It's all my land, sharing with no one else.

And when I lost my changes, it also applied to terraforming. I had to do that again, too.

Thats it.. if you own the sim, nobody but you beside the LL can restart your sim...

so it cant be your estate owner...or anyone else...

note that when my estate owner restart my sim i have a message that give me 5 mn to leave (on the contrary to you.. at least it was 5 mn till recently, but i m wondering now, if that changed, and maybe its 2 mn now) and no warning for a rolling restart..

but as i said.... what you are experiencing.. is or they are going on playing with the toy or your sim is crashing...

as Perrie said.. maybe you should submit a ticket.. crashes too often are not normal... it can be bec they are playing iwht the toy but not only... an object can cause this too, or tons of other reasons.. so it worth to send a ticket for they investigate why your sim is crashing so often.. and in case of crash, of course, nothing is saved, terreforming either...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not going to requote your whole post.

Like many things in SL, what is supposed to happen and what does happen can be two very different things.  Most of what I know is from what I read, some is from experience.  While I am not sure what conclusions could be drawn, it would be interesting on the day rolling restarts happen to rez boxes at 15 minute intervals prior to the restart and see which ones survived.  But I'm not sure I want to spend my time doing that.

I do know they will take a SIM off the RC if requested.  My friends was Le Tigre and two days after she submitted her request it was moved to Main Channel.  She did not give a reason, simply asked for it.  What I can't swear too is that they will honor every request. It is LL after all.

And if I was the OP, I would sure submit a ticket with as much info as possible.  It just isn't right what is going on. 

 

ETA, that Sim Restart Script I linked is really nice.  I have it tucked in a prim inan out of the way place and check it occasionally just in case there should be any unusual activity.  An ounce of prevention.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ah my bad..

i need to aknowledge my mistake here about the C in RC.. you were right Chic... its Candidate.. and yes. i had the confirmation.. Magnum is a test region... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

thanks :smileyhappy:

i will more more carefull to the region next time i ll have to move to another land...

Really, i would have liked to  be warned about this before renting my land... 

ETA : gramary

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...