Sign in to follow this  
Raven Tiros

/me command showing user name not display name in IM chat

Question

It probably can't be done.  Many (most?) gestures do not work in IMs, and I suspect this is one of them.

• Like 1

5 answers to this question

It probably can't be done.  Many (most?) gestures do not work in IMs, and I suspect this is one of them.

• Like 1

I second Rolig's answer: emotes gestures do NOT work in IMs. The one you are talking about "/me says you are wonderful" (that's an example! :D) will be in italic in local chat as "Raven says you are wonderful", but this doesnt applies in IMs.

Huh?  Chat emotes work just fine in IMs as well as in local chat, fellow responders!

However, the OP may be right about them using the User Name in IMs rather than the Display Name.  I don't use a Display Name, so I don't know.

OP:  Please bring this to the attention of the Firestorm support group through the in world group chat or by filing a bug report on the Firestorm web page.

EDIT:  I did some testing and can't duplicate this behavior.  I am using Firestorm, v 4.4.0, Firestorm skin. 

With both Display Names and User Names enabled, I see both names when a chat emote is typed, in both local chat and IM.

With only Display Names enabled, I see only the Display Name when an emote is typed, both in local chat and IM.

That's why I said "many (most?)," actually. I rarely use emotes myself and I never use a Display name, so I am guessing largely from the fact that I see very few chat emotes in IMs. It would be nice to have a definitive answer, but that's not documented, as far as I can tell.