/me command showing user name not display name in IM chat

Raven Tiros

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

Using the /me command in nearby chat to emote shows my display name just fine, however it shows as my user name when i use it in IMs. Is there anyway to change this?

This has been annoying me for a while now and i can't seem to find any options for it.

I'm using the Firestorm 4.4.0 (33720) viewer.

5 answers to this question

I second Rolig's answer: emotes gestures do NOT work in IMs. The one you are talking about "/me says you are wonderful" (that's an example! :D) will be in italic in local chat as "Raven says you are wonderful", but this doesnt applies in IMs.

Huh?  Chat emotes work just fine in IMs as well as in local chat, fellow responders!

However, the OP may be right about them using the User Name in IMs rather than the Display Name.  I don't use a Display Name, so I don't know.

OP:  Please bring this to the attention of the Firestorm support group through the in world group chat or by filing a bug report on the Firestorm web page.

EDIT:  I did some testing and can't duplicate this behavior.  I am using Firestorm, v 4.4.0, Firestorm skin. 

With both Display Names and User Names enabled, I see both names when a chat emote is typed, in both local chat and IM.

With only Display Names enabled, I see only the Display Name when an emote is typed, both in local chat and IM.

That's why I said "many (most?)," actually. I rarely use emotes myself and I never use a Display name, so I am guessing largely from the fact that I see very few chat emotes in IMs. It would be nice to have a definitive answer, but that's not documented, as far as I can tell.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3981 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.