A Question for Customers - Do you prefer boxes or folders for your Marketplace purchases?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Rya Nitely wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Isn't the whole idea of direct delivery supposed to be that it goes to your inventory without any further fussing about it? In many cases a box isn't necessary.

That was why it was called Direct Delivery. Not needing to unbox items was supposed to be the main advantage.

True even though I still unpack about the same as I always did.

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rya Nitely wrote:

Melita Magic wrote:

Isn't the whole idea of direct delivery supposed to be that it goes to your inventory without any further fussing about it? In many cases a box isn't necessary.

That was why it was called Direct Delivery. Not needing to unbox items was supposed to be the main advantage.

It is a nice plus that DD made folder delivery possible, but the real reason is that SL Exchange built their delivery system around some very old LSL functionality (XML-RPC, with llEmail as a backup) that did not scale well. "Direct" really means "direct from the marketplace" without scripted prims in between. LSL didn't have alternatives available back then, so SL Exchange tried to make a delivery system from what they could.

Delivery failures became commonplace years ago because Magic Box traffic outstripped the ability of the LSL XML-RPC servers to keep up. It actually got to that point 1-2 years before LL bought them out. There were also failure modes on the front end of the magic boxes, where deliveries could be lost through busy mode and capped IMs.

SLX boxes had no real in-place update mechanism, so any fix to this would have required that all magic boxes be replaced anyway. LL bit the bullet and decided to get rid of the things.

Melita Magic wrote:

Czari the updating landmarks sound great. And thank you for being a merchant who puts landmarks into a note card in the product box or folder. I don't know about others but I notice those things when deciding whether to shop at a place more often.

I began doing that when I became a merchant because it is also one of my pet peeves to have multiple lm's and notecards jumping out at me.  Also considered how to keep inventory neat. One nc that includes the lm is all one needs.  The main exception to this approach is when I use an avatar posing system; the creator of the system stipulates his card (that is no mod) and explains how to adjust pose settings must be included in each product using his system.

My other pet peeve is any kind of drop down notice that I have to click at an inworld store.  One store that I love just includes a quote pertinent to her shop that shows up in general chat on the tp point.  When my in world store is in place, I use a simple welcome that includes customer name, also in general chat.

The main reason I started this thread is because of the time and effort it took to unpack my boxes and rename the folders to convert over to DD - so I have a vested interest in knowing what customers think. I wanted to know whether that effort was worthwhile.

Merchants who simply moved the boxes from MB into the Merchant Outbox wouldn't care so much - there was no effort to justify.

After reading the responses here I have reassurance that customers do appreciate it :)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4008 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.