How do I upload custom windlight settings for use on my parcel?

gbaughma1488314364

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Question

I have created some custom windlight settings that I would like to include on my parcel for everyone to see, but I'm not finding information about how I can upload the settings to the server?  Or is there something else I need to do instead?  Or is it even possible?  And if it's not possible, why have the ability to play with it at all?

2 answers to this question

Drag/drop yiour .xml file contents into the skies and water subdirectories within the right windlight folder, depending on your operating system.

These are the usual install directories, yours may look different but similar:

Windows Vista and 7

• Skies - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\skies
  • Water - C:\Users\USERNAME\AppData\Roaming\SecondLife\user_settings\windlight\water

Mac

• Skies - In the Finder, use Go menu > Go to Folder and paste in: ~/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/user_settings/windlight/skies
  • Water - Again, use Go > Go to Folder and paste in: ~/Library/Application Support/SecondLife/user_settings/windlight/water

Linux

• Skies - ~/.secondlife/user_settings/windlight/skies/
  • Water - ~/.secondlife/user_settings/windlight/water/

See also  http://community.secondlife.com/t5/English-Knowledge-Base/Managing-Private-Regions/ta-p/700115#Section_.10

• Like 2

Windlight settings are client side meaning that the Windlight settings are put into the viewer you are using. See Rolig's answer. But in order for others to see what you see, THEY need to put the windlight settings on their computer. There was a time when third party viewers had an easy way to do this but no longer. So you would need to send the files to the folks you want to have them.

If you own a sim, you can change the default sky and I believe day cycle (not in world so can't check). There was a time when third party viewers had the ability to have optional Windlight setting for parcels. I never tried that and don't know if it still exists. It seems like it was used very little. Hopefully someone will have more info on that for you.

The main reason that we have options for Windlight settings is for photography and film (personal use too, but most folks that I know that don't take pictures never change their windlight settings so I am going to guess they are the norm). So you can have the world look as you would like it. You can save the settings for later to reuse and you CAN share although not easily :D.

• Like 1

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3977 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.