Vehicle sim crossing problems cropping up again!!!

Eric Castanea

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Not just Blue Steel. The problems seem to be everywhere.

Which I think means that, whatever the new shiny might be, the Lindens can no longer keep the basics running. I've never had big problems, for instance, with the old baking system, but as soon as SSA got into the viewers, things started falling apart. I've never seen any benefits from Pathfinding, never been anywhere where it seems to be used, but the Physics changes made some hitherto reliable events into lag-fests.

And now Materials is looming, which will look fantastic, and depend on even more data being sent to us,

I've just spent five minutes of uncontrollable gyration, in some bewildering 3D pattern that's maybe 500m across, after trying to make a sim crossing between two Main Channel regions. It's the sort of thing that would likely produce motion sickness if you were using something such as the Oculus Rift that the Lindens seem to be suddenly fascinated with&mdsh;a huge disconnect between visual cues and your inner ear.

But it's the weekend. I suppose I could submit a JIRA, but when customer-facing support is built around a system designed for managers to herd programmers, I find it difficult to believe it ever works. (I get on well with cats, but programmers are even harder to understand.)

The pictures are prettier, but the Second Life of 2013 is looking like an unusable mess, a spaghetti bolognese of programming made with meat of suspicious origins.

Just went testing - the problem will be on BlueSteel and LeTigre sims, which are running code that was rolled back to an older version (i.e. older than the rest of the group.) for some reason this week. I didn't see a problem on Magmum or Main Channel sims. Arabella, the five minute Mr. Toad's Wild Ride was probably because you hit one of the regions running this old code.

arabellajones wrote:

Since the wild ride came on a crossing between two Main Channel sims, I find it a little difficult to categorize your explanation as anything other than a load of bollocks..

Sorry, I misread your initial post as "mainland." However, seeing as I've flown roughly 50-sim cross-country flights over built-up mainland this week without serious problems, I find it difficult to categorize the idea that region-crossing problems are widespread on the Main Channel as anything other than bollocks in turn.

Main channel, mainland, code roll back, Le Tigre, Blue Steel, Magnum, blahblah ... girls, get a grip and focus on the issue at hand!

Fact is that sim xings went to **bleep** again. Are we, as paying customers, supposed to know why? Are we supposed to find workarounds, solutions and excuses for those inept labbers? I'm sick and tired of being abused as a crashtest dummy. It really shouldn't matter if I wanna cross 20 or 200 sims, I expect it to work flawlessly. And I couldn't give a rat's @$$ about 90% of SL residents are immobile and stay at home all the time. The whole idea of moving freely in our glorious world (not just TPIng, which defeats the idea of a virtual "world") is the main reason for me to still stick with SL.

Around 1 year ago we had a short period of improved sim xings. I did some extremely long travels by boat and bike around various mainland continents. Was all fine and dandy and SL was fun and I decided to stay premium and keep my land. Then some idiot decided we need pathfinding. I still, to this day, haven't figured out what that is. And I don't even wanna know. I just pay my fees and expect LL to deliver on their side of the deal.

Sim Crossings in the Blake Sea Area, whatever channel each sim is on are noticeably worse since last week's roll. In recent times we (my SL partner and I) were able to sail our mesh Loonetta from Nantucket down around Nautilus and back with barely a shiver at sim crossings, even corner ones, regardless of speed.

Today one border crossing was effectively closed despite there being no reason that showed in my Ban-Line HUD.  When we DID get across it borked several scripted items that I had stupidly forgotten to remove beforehand - thankfully none were no-mod so I could reset their scripts.

There must be something in the sim code that now finds it hard to either hand-off or accept incoming scripts and objects.  Really the level of regressions we are seeing currently is a bad joke.  It is becoming clear that the calibre of Linden Lab's programmers is nothing like as high as it once was.

• 2 months later...

Weekends are usually worse, but it could be something in the new code.

Since this thread was started in April, it might be better to start a new thread, and tell us which viewer you were using, the level set for graphics, which region you were leaving, and which you were trying to enter.

I try to avoid long vehicle runs at the weekend. It also depends on whether you are using a vehicle, and how it is scripted. When I set out to do a test run I try to use the same vehicle.

And remember to check you are using a viewer that can handle SSA/B. The new baking system is going live very soon, so make sure you are up to date for that.

(I reckon I can wait for materials. Nothing will be wholly broken by a lack of materials, but the SSA/B system affects every avatar you see.)

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3945 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.