Sailable water? New group of sailable regions?

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

I've spent the last week trying to find out how to place 3 new homesteads in a location where they have access to sailable water.

We simply want to be able to sail, without succumbing to all kinds of covenants and restrictions,

This seems more or less impossible.  A new regions cannot be placed closer that one grid location from the stretches of Coastal Waterways that Linden have around mainland.

Existing sailable areas exist, for instance the huge Black Sea area. This would be a perfect place to place the regions, except that United Sailing Sims (USS) have MONOPOLY on this area, and it's not possible to locate there with less than 5 regions and aggreeing to follow their covenant, which we cannot accept.

There is also groups of private islands, like the Fruit Islands, Eden, Irish Estates, e.t.c., but none of these are interested in allowing us to hook up a side towards their areas.

Most of these areas are themed in various ways so, in a way, I can understand that they would not want anyone to attach, who'd not follow their style.

I find it a but surprising that there is no "free" group of regions who'd want the sailing/flying ability, but not the limitations.

Question is now - do anyone have a suggestion to how and where we could possibly locate these regions so we can get this water access?

Alternative two, create our own small group of water based regions. Anyone else wanting to sail without the silly limitations could then hook up to us.  The more the merrier.

Suggestions welcome.

/Raph

You can rent your own private homestead, or private island, lower all the terrain making it water and sail all you want. :)

Most full regions, whether a homestead or a full prim region come with no covenant. 

As for the mainland, since I never go there, I'm not sure what exactly the stipulations and rules are concerning that stuff but I would imagine if you owned a mainland sim or a large portion of one having terraform rights you could just make your own water and do it right there as well.  (May want to A-OKAY this with your landlord first if that's the case though).

Good luck.

Ralph,

As you figured out, most large private estates (USS, Fruit Islands, etc.) have rules. Most are in-world land rental businesses and why would any business want to let another potential compeditor connect with them. Others are community groups (such as USS) and have developed their rules over a long period of time as a balance to keep everyone already in the community as happy as possible.

The rules for the Linden mainland has always been that private regions don't get to connect unless specifically invited by the Lab (as USS was).

Your best chance, as you've figured out, is to provide your own water regions for sailing. You are free to have a loose covenant and encourage others to connect with your regions.

USS does not have a monopoly any more than any other estate owner does.  You are not allowed to locate you regions without at least a one void sim space between your estate and the mainland waters or your estate and your neighbors, without their consent. 

The Blake Sea itself came about because of the long term efforts of the USS sailing sims to promote sailing in SL.

As you have found, there is no place that will allow you to connect to a sailing area and retain ownership of your estate or at the very least without agreeing to a highly restrictive covenant.  If you want a sailing area with no restrictions you need to create it yourself. 

Speaking from experience, I would not allow other estates to connect to it without some sort of RL contract that you can enforce in a court of law, that spells out every possible contingency.  People will agree to anything to get into an arrangement like this but then ignore any SL only agreements when it suits them and you will have no recourse against them if you don't have that contract.  LL will not help you to enforce any covenant or agreement. 

Thank you all for your input.

Beats me why there has to be covenants telling me how high my chimney can be, and not just that I need to keep X % of free water around my region.

Thanks Amethyst, I realize that not having a RL contract might jeopardize the idea of open sailing waters e.t.c. Didn't really think of that.

This means that if we want to expand "our" waters, we'd need to go into the landlord business and rent out regions.

Ironically enough, this will make us competitors to Fruit Islands e.t.c. Had they allowed us in with non-build-restricted regions, this would not have been so.

We'd simply have rented the regions from them.  Funny world.

I've been a resident of the Fruit Islands off and on over the years, sometimes as my main home, sometimes owning a small plot there with a beach cabin as a 'weekend' home just so I can sail there.   It is a beautiful place that remains so because of the building and landscaping restrictions and that is precisely the reason it remains so popular.  I've never had a fellow resident tell me they wish it were less restrictive.  I wouldn't want islands there that have no restrictions or it would end up looking like the mainland with Goth castles next to skyscrapers, tacky builds, & out of place landscaping etc. 

Many estates and private sim owner are situated around the Blake Sea (not Black Sea!) and they all have their own covenants. USS, Sailors Cove, SLNE, Trudeau, Second Norway, Snug Harbor. Just contact some of the estate owners and ask if they would accept you as their new neighbour.

Regarding your dislike of covenants: most estaste owners around Blake are indeed aking their renters to keep a certain amount of prims freely available so naval traffic won't be interrupted by "Parcel full" messages. Same goes for banlines and any other restrictions that meddle with free traffic. Blake Sea is sailing first and if you lack that spirit you'll have a hard time finding a friendly neighbor there that alllows you to dock your sims unto theirs. 

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 3095 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.