wierd lag going around

Tsuki Saphed

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.

Yes-yes... I'm sure you see plenty of posts about lag everywhere but I haven't found one of this particular type of lag..

And before anyone jumps down my throat: Yes my connection is good, yes my machine is good, Yes I've put the bandwidth setting to that which corresponds with my bandwidth, Yes I've made sure that my viewer's Port number is forwarded correctly, which I have done manually and Yes it is still valid. No I haven't made any changes in software or hardware wise. (will post specs of machine, connection and all that jazz at the end for those who doubt this.)

Lag meter shows all green on Client, Network and Server.

Statistics paint a good picture too;

FPS: 80+fps
Packet loss: 0%
Ping sim; 187msec (I'm in the Netherlands so that's normal for me)

everything I see is fine, but I noticed the Ping Sim periodically jumps up to 226msec for no reason. drops down after a moment or two.

What Symptoms of lag am I experiencing?

Well stuff takes longer to rez. When I'm building the parameters of the object I'm editing rubber bands, (Ever been walking around a sim and suddenly you shoot back to a postion you were a few moments ago?) and that is every parameter. Scripts sometimes have a pause to them. like when using an LLdialog on a piece of fornature or a color change hud for your shoes. Even chat lags. I'd have typed something in and it takes an actual two to 4 seconds before it shows up.

Animations don't always work straight away. I sometimes have to toggle my AO off and back on to get it to work right. When I right click an object I own or am working on, I literally have to wait 2 seconds before I can select the edit option. and don't get me started on how often I just crash.

All in all its making it rather troublesome to be in SL right now not to mention annoying and this started happening about a week ago and its across SL, not just in one isolated sim.

Does anyone here know what is going on or how to fix it?

Specs for you none-believers:

Connection:

ISP: Tele2
Download: 1.3 MBytes
Upload: 100 KBytes

System:

Motherboard: Asrock X58 Super Computer
Processor: Intel i7 930 @ 2.80Ghz (4 CPUs)
Memory: Kingston, 16 GB total
Graphics card: Nvidia GeForce GTX 650 OC 4GB

This is affecting nearly all users in Europe and the UK, some US too.  It is not client-specific and while it may not be in SL's own intranet this time, they do need to raise a fuss with their network partners about this.

It is notable that open chat, most alternate channels and script communication is affected, IM seems immune (apart from the dreadful group IM lag that is perennial).

@Theresa Tennyson:

Yeah I know this but its like that all over the Netherlands unless you buy the most expensive package an ISP has to offer but even then there is going to be a huge differance between upload and download. Fiber Optics isn't all that wide spread over here. its either Cable or DSL, Can tell you this much once they get Fiber Optics in my town I'll be switching over, because Fiber Optics is the only type of connetion that has a 1:1 Download-Upload Ratio. Cable and ADSL is like... 20:1 Ratio.

Even so. everything has always worked fine. its only in the recent week's that SL's been having problems.

I have exactly the same issue since a couple of days now..never ever happend before..chat lag is really bad

and not just that but also Popup menu's are working very slow and wearing items & detach items too, and rezzing deleting items inworld

moving/resize objects and so on and on.

i am using a very fast pc with a very fast Fiber Connection...

this is going on directly after the Maintenance they did

almost all my friends whom are all over the world have the same problems

really it is so annoying

Yep.

I do a lot of building and scripting. some projects are my own but most of it is for others. and it's really annoying to build things right now with the rubber banding of prims and even scripts sometimes don't save or run correctly, as if bug fixing wasn't already tedious enough.

Same here. I am in the Netherlands and have a 60 MB down and a 6 MB up  cable connection.

Everything used to be fine until some weeks ago

Textures rezz very slow
Regions show offline on the map for days after restarts
many inventory faults, clothing wont detach etc
many scripts errors
chat lag
can't  rezz objects on my own land
Flying a plane is nearly impossible because of constant loose of control and many crashes

I don't care very much because I am at the point of leaving SL but things are not going well in SL.

You are right Tsuki and Ina

rubber banding Prims if we are using Twist/Taper/Dimple/Radius/Position/Size/Rotation etcetera

and Ina you are right too it takes days for a restarted region to show Online on Map...also if they are doing a restart

the region might be offline for more than one hour, i have seen this a couple of times this week...

and yep manny inventory faults..rez problems and also if someone wants to edit it on the ground..it does take

a while before the Edit option appears..

i have never seen this kind of many issues all together at once in all those years i am on second life

Your building is a great user case for filing a JIRA.

Ping in the viewer is not the ping you are used to from using your computer's network ping. A factor in viewer ping is the higher level server time to respond is added. Most ping only requires a response from the lower level network card. A viewer ping requires a response from the simulator task running on the server. So, a slow server at the Lab can distort ping time. This is why when you see server FPS degrade it paralells ping time growing.

If you get the server address and ping with your system in one window and watch the viewers ping at the same time, you can see the disparity.

My article on Troubleshoot Your #SL Connection gets into testing to see if it is you, the ISP, or the Lab.

At this point the Lindens are not sure if there are physical SL network problems or something in the new HTTP Library. For us it is even harder to know. We get almost no information on hardware changes at the Lab or data centers. Plus there is the cyber-war issues going on. DoS attacks fill up network tubes and network admins adjust routing to handle traffic loads and compensate for attacks. So, the world's network is very fluid right now. Chasing a problem down is a pain.

You are about to reply to a thread that has been inactive for 4007 days.

Please take a moment to consider if this thread is worth bumping.